General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is the dealership to you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts
Default How important is the dealership to you?

I know some of yall value dealership relationships and hang out at the dealership, and some rarely return. My question is, if Harleys were sold and serviced at multi brand (Kawi, Yami, Honda, etc) would you care?
My local Indian and BMW bikes used to be sold and serviced together at a nice "Harley like" shop. Now they moved into a new multi-brand mall, Indians next to side-by-sides. So, do you care? I don't go back to my dealership much, but when I do, I feel like the service guys are better by not having to know multi-brand info. Also, do people feel the fancy single brand dealership makes it easier to spend so much on a bike? Do you think Indian will sell more by being less exclusive or sell less by being in a multi-brand Walmart size dealership.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

As long as they can service my bike and have the parts handy, I don't care what else they do there.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:29 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

What is important to me is never having to take my bikes to any dealer service center!

Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

There use to be more HD/other brand shops. www.battley.com is still one of the biggest. It makes no difference to me, as long as service is done correctly.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:53 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Personally I do not care if it is multi brand. As long as they are competent in their work, have a good supply of parts without waiting days and have a good selection of merchandise. In my travels I have visited many, many shops some are set up, stocked, have events etc... that are conducive to folks wanting to visit them, others such as the one nearest me are not a place that I prefer to visit. On the other hand there is one that is 2+ hours from me that always has a great selection of bikes, merchandise, parts/acc usually stage some type of event on the weekend often with a band and have a nice place across the parking lot to grab foo/beer. The folks that work there are great and its always full of like minded folks hanging around. I enjoy my visits to that dealership

Old 12-22-2016, 06:22 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Not at all important to me. Anything that breaks on my bikes I can fix in my garage. Parts/tires/consumables come by UPS or Fed Ex.

The Harley dealer is the same to me as any Chevrolet dealer. I drive a Chevy truck and I don't go there either.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:10 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I go by there when i need something, no hanging around for me.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

All the HD dealerships in my area only sell Harley, there are two multi brand dealers in on the same street that between the two sell pretty much all the rest- except Indian- there is only one Indian dealer anywhere near me.
The only times I've had my bike in the dealers service bay is for recalls, I've done all the routine maintenance myself. I guess I like the idea of the dealer only representing Harley- the service guys can concentrate on one brand- Suppose that applies to the sales staff too- Having to learn about all the models of 6 brands, and those multi brand dealers also sell non motorcycle items- Polaris for one makes a crap ton of "vehicles", as well as snowmobiles. Some sell PWC's, etc.... too.
When I owned my ricer I bought it from one of the two Multi Brand shops I referred to above, but I only went to the dealer to buy oil filters, I did my own service on that bike too, and it never needed any repairs- only fluid changes, and a new battery after 8 years. I guess I prefer Harley Dealers just having HD bikes, and related stuff. But I don't hang out at the dealers, only go there to buy parts and occasional clothing- Mrs. Brewman likes HD branded clothing.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:31 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 621 Posts

The HD is the only dealer of anything worthy in my town. There is a Honda dealer but they are so out of touch from motorcycles that nobody shops there even if they own a honda. I have been friends with just about everyone at the HD dealership since before there was a dealership so I think that plays into it more than anything. Where I used to live I hung out at the multi brand shop more. I just like the service guys better. It is fun to hang out and learn new stuff about all different bikes.
As a matter of fact when I worked for a HD dealership I spent most of my off time hanging out at the Ducati/Triumph dealer down the road.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,825 Likes on 18,579 Posts

I never understood the infatuation derived from hanging out on a Saturday morning ( or any other day for that matter ) drinking coffee and trying to look good. :>(

If I go to the dealer it's because I can't the part anywhere else.

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
2PawsRiver (01-01-2017), ISP-FLHTK (12-24-2016), TwiZted Biker (12-27-2016)

Quick Reply: How important is the dealership to you?