General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it that you like about the model HD you have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:55 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2012 FatBoy LO, 2014 Ultra Limited and 2015 Iron are all paid for. Definitely my favorite feature.

The following users liked this post:
TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

2017 CVO Pro Street Breakout.

The basic fact that I do not need to buy anything for it. I had a 48 that bled my wallet dry buying the latest accessory that I didn't really need.

The long rake and the seat that holds you in position when you crack the throttle.

USD front forks and twin discs to give you the stopping power you would expect.

Fat back tyre.

No chrome and easy to clean.

Being an electrical engineer I like the electronics. LED lighting all round, cruise control, the fact you have a myriad of options to customise the displays and of course the keyless ignition.

Last edited by K9F; 01-08-2017 at 05:25 AM.
TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:55 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

My 2014 Ultra Classic suits me just fine (for now). It has plenty of power/torque, lots of storage and handles well. I am 2 up most of the time and both of us are very comfortable on this scooter either around town or on a long trip.

TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Me too! Some bike should NEVER have car parts aka windshields. Being in the wind is what bike riding is about.
LOL! So to each his (or her) own.
I would NEVER have a motorcycle without a windshield!

TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,178 Likes on 6,218 Posts

1995 Heritage Softail Classic.

1. It has everything I need and nothing I do not.
2. Simple carburetor and overall very DIY friendly.
3. Does everything from local rides to long distance easily, two up or solo, it doesn't matter.
4. Looks, sounds, and feels like Harley.
5. Very stable on the highway and still sure footed on winding roads.
6. Ergonomics fit me perfect right out of the box.
7. Parking lot maneuvers are easy due to low center of gravity.
8. In a sea of black late model Street Glides, it stands out in both looks and sound without a flashy fluorescent paint job or ridiculously sized big front wheel. (yeah, I hate the big front wheel fad). The engine is now two generations old, which also brings comments like it not being manufactured in this century etc.

Negatives:

1. Brakes are terrible. I have several boxes of parts waiting to be installed to rectify that
2. When I first got it, power was lacking. Part of that was the previous owner removed baffles from the stock exhaust system. I put in big city thunder baffles which helped a lot. Later on, I changed the cam, milled the heads slightly, and overall just a very mild build/refresh of the engine. The engine is now perfect. Runs smoother and delivers great torque and horsepower from idle on up in a manner that translates. to real world ridability instead of high rpm peak horsepower like many builds are.
3. This bike was manufactured when the national speed limit was 55. I think if I did long trips more often, I would probably install a Baker six speed to lower the rpm on the high speed interstate. A cheaper fix would be changing the pulley, but I don't want to do that because that would affect my launch and low speed characteristics. My engine rebuild fixed most of what I didn't like about riding on the interstate. Since the engine has more power and runs smoother now, interstates are not a problem and the six speed would only be a luxury compared to prior to the engine work, I felt like it was a necessity.
4. In the event of a catastrophic accident, the insurance company would probably tell me it is worth next to nothing despite it being valuable to me.

TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:57 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Interesting thread: At least for me, as my needs changed - so it went with model. When I decided to get back into riding, all I wanted was a local rider so I opted for a Sporty. It was fun, but as I ventured out on longer rides with friends it really became obvious that it lacked the comfort factor. I traded it in on a Heritage. I just loved the way it looked, rode great, but for me the clattering of the engine on a longish ride detracted from the experience......as my riding aspirations expanded, I took a Road King out for a demo ride, and fell in love.

TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
07 Road King Classic, I love the electronic cruse control and a touring bike with the hart and soul of a Dyna.
What he said. Mine is a 2014 Road King.

TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Well you've paid your dues. Now ride the best ULTRA with stereo, wind protection, power, storage, safety & comfort

TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:34 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I went from XL to FXDXT to FXDF. Have tried many others; even had a Road Glide 120R for a couple of days. The FLH's were fine on open highway but overall just felt far too ponderous. The Fat Bob is still heavy, but suits my 2 lane riding style better. Wife has her own, a Low Rider; we've toured 30 states and 6 provinces on our Dynas, and are still enjoying the road. Also like the handling of the Fat Bob; it's certainly no T-Sport but it's my favorite of what was offered when I bought it, and I rode 'em all. Today, I would look at the Low Rider S...that 110 motor would make it like an old big block pony car; minor mods would make it awesome.

Attached Thumbnails What is it that you like about the model HD you have?-duo-glide.jpg  
TBT3 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Me too! Some bike should NEVER have car parts aka windshields. Being in the wind is what bike riding is about.
Unlike Chicken - I traded my Dyna for my SGS in part for the windshield - I also like the feel of the larger bike under me that still handles like my Dyna - so many bells & whistles on the bike the SGS is for me, the only thing I would trade it in for is maybe a RK

TBT3 (01-08-2017)

Quick Reply: What is it that you like about the model HD you have?