General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for a Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 PM
burzerko29
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tips for a Salesman

don't judge anyone on appearance, I'm only 24 and was 22 when i started looking. 75 % of the salesmen wouldn't give me the time of day, I assume because i didn't fit the stereotype of the serious buyer. How much would they have lost if they asked if I needed help and if I had said no they went on to something else. And to make matters worse they weren't doing anything else just hanging out with other employees and talking, I was the only customer there in many cases. The first salesman that asked me if I needed help got the sale simple as that.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 PM
UNCCHarley
Road Master

I used to sell cars and I will tell you the two biggest reasons you will lose a sale:

1. DO NOT EVER lie to a customer. If you lie, you are done in their eyes. If you do not know an answer, tell them you do not know but will find out. In 99% of the cases you will gain more respect with them. Most people have already researched what they are looking for, and MANY will try to set you up to see if you will lie.

2. Treat EVERYONE with respect. I had a guy come in one night before closing in dirty overalls stinking to high heaven. He drop an OLD truck that looked like crap. Everyone ignored him. Funniest thing, he was a farmer, a RICH farmer. He ended up buying 2 truck and a corvette for his daughter CASH. I made over $9,000 commission off one guy because he said he would pay sticker out the door on all 3 and did not want to haggle. DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some suggestions if I may

In todays world, a salesman is used by the public to gain insight on a particular product. With the internet, todays consumer has an understanding of the product line, but needs assistance in which may suit their particular use and style..

Honesty and trust is something that is earned by a salesman, and not an entitlement. If you base your recommendations on the information the customer provides to you, you will be successful. You must at all times place the needs of the customer first, by doing so the numbers will fall into place

If I was a Harley Salesman here is what I would do

1) Contact every prospect within 48 hours after showing them a particular model, even if they didn't buy...why ?? To see if they have any questions that came about after leaving. I doubt that anyone on this forum has ever had this happen

2) Prior to leaving I would show them the service department and introduce them to the service manager. I would explain the lead time needed to get an appointment. I would let them know that if they needed service to contact me and I willget them scheduled.

3) When someone would actually buy a bike, I would contact them one week after to ensure that all was well and again ask if they need anything from me.

Sales is more about sales, its about making the client feel like they made a great decision in working with the dealership that I represent...lets face it, if they wanted a Harley, the dealer network is endless...but for 100% satisfaction and a high level of customer service, that is hard to find.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
StillMisterSlim
Intermediate

Just become that customer and see what you expect

Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

The thing that pisses me off more than anything is when a salesman lies to me. The "we are selling at MSRP" thing and then you add up the prices and it ends up being $700 over MSRP.

Also condescending attitude. Someone who has the sleazy will get me to leave. I don't want the person to be my buddy either. I hate when they ask you what you do for a living. Don't tell me the bike will make me look "bad azz" or that it will improve my sex life.

Just be knowlegable about the bike, know what accessories I can get for the bike, tell me the cost of the bike. Show me how things work after I decide to buy the bike. Tell me what the service hours are at the dealership. Stuff that is useful.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that ladies are now a good percentage of the HD buying public. make an effort to welcome women, be honest with them and truly help them select the right bike. Make suggestions about lowering, different bars, grips,levers, etc. whatever it takes to make the bike "fit" the rider properly. It will be greatly appreciated.and your commission rate will go up from all the "extras "that are necessary for many a vertically challenged rider to operate the machine safely.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 AM
firespy999
Cruiser

When I bought my bike - I did the deal and arranged collection. I arrived at the dealership with the cash waiting for the hand over. The salesman saw me and was on the phone - when he eventually came off the phone he said to me he would be back in "one minute" 45 mins later I am still waiting with nobody coming to offer any explanation. My wife was ready to walk out and I would have done if I hadn't really wanted the bike and had it on order for 2 months. It took away the pleasure of buying the bike as it left negative feelings - all it needed was the guy to either tell me in person or send someone to say he was delayed and appologise.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:12 AM
UNCCHarley
Road Master

Concerning the callback within 48 hours. I sold more cars by NOT calling people than ever by calling people. If people have a question they will ask. Hound people on the phone and watch how quick you do not get a sale. I never made a sale by calling people and asking if they had any questions, but that is just me I guess

Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 AM
tom_hd
6th Gear

Any ideas on the best way get better product knowledge??

Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 AM
squid
Banned

Grab all their brochures,plus once your there,I'm sure they will provide that for you.

Quick Reply: Tips for a Salesman