General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:11 PM
wizard-tx
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from Texas

Hey y'all just joined here. I think I've outgrown my metric bike and I'm looking for something "new". I've got my eyes on a 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited with about 45k on it. It's a huge step up from what I've got now in so many ways.

Anything specific I should be looking out for on these bikes? I'm pretty new to HD but I've done some reading, just having to learn and sift through some of the Harley lingo.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the site. Go to the shop talk to the sells people and people in the shop they will be able to answer any of your questions. I was in SA a few months ago it has really change in the last 15 years. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,342 Likes on 10,704 Posts

G'day mate and welcome from Sunny S. Florida.

There are many things abt the ultra we can talk about but simply, make sure you are comfortable with it. Comfort is everything.

The Ultra family is fantastic. That is all I ride.

Do ur feet reach the ground well enough? Do u need a detachable trunk?

Know the controls, where they are so there is less looking down to figure out how to put the cruise control on etc....

I am very excited for you my friend.

You will love it!

Oh, I got the ultra since I was joining the Drill Team and traveling across the USA. Now that I am not doing either, I will not give it up for all the city riding I do. It is GREAT to have all the carrying space and again, the comfort in city tooling around beats the smaller bikes that are good but not as luxurious.

Enjoy!!

BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by coach127
Welcome to the site. Go to the shop talk to the sells people and people in the shop they will be able to answer any of your questions. I was in SA a few months ago it has really change in the last 15 years. Good luck with your purchase.
Hey C127, your signature speaks volumes. Hat's off to you for having such a GOOD (but sad) one.

It really caught my eye.

BuzzCap7

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-16-2017 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wizard-tx (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 PM
wizard-tx
Stage IV

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
G'day mate and welcome from Sunny S. Florida.

There are many things abt the ultra we can talk about but simply, make sure you are comfortable with it. Comfort is everything.

The Ultra family is fantastic. That is all I ride.

Do ur feet reach the ground well enough? Do u need a detachable trunk?

Know the controls, where they are so there is less looking down to figure out how to put the cruise control on etc....

I am very excited for you my friend.

You will love it!

Oh, I got the ultra since I was joining the Drill Team and traveling across the USA. Now that I am not doing either, I will not give it up for all the city riding I do. It is GREAT to have all the carrying space and again, the comfort in city tooling around beats the smaller bikes that are good but not as luxurious.

Enjoy!!

BuzzCap7
On man this bike is beyond comfortable. I took it on a 20 mile test ride and it was great. Riding a bike with real cruise and not just a throttle lock was awesome.

I can easily get both feet flat on the ground which is a big plus for me. I also trust rode a Street glide but the seat dug into my thighs and I couldn't get more than my toes to touch the ground.

I don't really need a detachable trunk and to be honest I don't really need a trunk at all, but I've always wanted one. I'm not sure what I like about this bike the most but comfort is definitely up there. It's so much better feeling than my bike now. I really think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this one.

Wizard

Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by wizard-tx
On man this bike is beyond comfortable. I took it on a 20 mile test ride and it was great. Riding a bike with real cruise and not just a throttle lock was awesome.

I can easily get both feet flat on the ground which is a big plus for me. I also trust rode a Street glide but the seat dug into my thighs and I couldn't get more than my toes to touch the ground.

I don't really need a detachable trunk and to be honest I don't really need a trunk at all, but I've always wanted one. I'm not sure what I like about this bike the most but comfort is definitely up there. It's so much better feeling than my bike now. I really think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this one.

Wizard
Wiz,

LOL!! LOVE to hear it!!!

1 warning my friend.............riding that bike can be habit forming. LOL!!! GO for it, you will LOVE IT!!! Whooooo hooooooo......................

I think u said u were from Texas? Then you need to bring her to the Twisted Sisters Yeeeeee hAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just be careful, too many bikers lost their lives there. You will see the sign where they keep count. Sad but a beautiful area as you likely know. WISH I could go with ya!

BuzzCap7

Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 PM
wizard-tx
Stage IV

I've got a feeling already that my car isn't going to get many miles put on if (when) I pick this bike up haha!

I took a quick look at the Twisted Sisters, looks pretty intense! I'll have to look into it some more. Might give me something to do this summer.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
BuzzCap7

I've got a feeling already that my car isn't going to get many miles put on if (when) I pick this bike up haha!

I took a quick look at the Twisted Sisters, looks pretty intense! I'll have to look into it some more. Might give me something to do this summer.
That is exactly what happened to me. When I started riding, I gave my car to my son and now if I HAVE to go in a cage, I borrow it from my son or my wifes car. LOL

In leakey there is a T shirt store called Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop, click HERE for it.

Very nice owners (husband and wife) and really NICE T's. Was wearing one of theirs a few days ago.

G'day mate. Gutta run.........

BuzzCap7

Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome. Eventually, you will see the benefit of the tour pack.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Hey y'all, I've got my eyes on a 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited with about 45k on it.

Anything specific I should be looking out for on these bikes?
Look out for a whale of a good time, loaded with comfort. Watch out for people saying "Nice Bike," and meaning it. The most important thing to be aware, and leery of is the "modification bug," once it bites you can start kissing your money good by, and there is no known cure of any kind, for this infection. Welcome to the HDForum fellow Texan.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:02 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,860 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Welcome. It sounds like you have already made your decision. Good luck.

Quick Reply: New guy from Texas