General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would You Do If You Were CEO of HD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Whtwolf14
Yup...the damn prices are insane. ....... I'd like to think that I would lower the prices of the bikes a smidge to attract more buyers. The metrics you mentioned are affordable bikes to ride,

I am not sure lowering the prices is going to be effective. Harley is a premium brand. Keeping quality up, I think is more important than price.

and for the most part are tailored to the younger crowd (sport bike riders, and crotch rockets). .

I am more thinking of the next wave of 40 and 50 somethings. When the baby boomers were in their 40's and 50's, Harley had waiting lists and was selling bike over MSRP. You could buy a bike and sell it for a profit the next day. Those days are gone and the Gen Xers who are in their 40's and early 50's now are not looking for the same thing. That is the crowd I would want to get to if I was the CEO of Harley. Affluent Gen Xers ages 35 to early 50's and the younger baby boomer like me.

But...it's a business, and the point is to make money hand over fist for the share holders. Good question...interested to see where this goes.

Making money is the primary purpose of any business. Harley should be marketed as a premium band to affluent people to make money. But I think the tastes of the next wave are a little different.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Draw that big paycheck and be happy I was in that spot.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,787 Likes on 6,213 Posts

Have a meeting with the engineers (the ones that design things poorly) and the purchasing managers (the ones that scrimp on bearings, chain tensioners, etc.), and bring a baseball bat.
Heads would roll.

The following 2 users liked this post by RHPAW:
02603SEC (03-20-2017), vhmike73 (04-30-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Recan
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Go in a closet, close the door and laugh like hell at us.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

CEO's doing a fine job as it is... don't change a thing

Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by Recan
Go in a closet, close the door and laugh like hell at us.

I have a couple friends who think that. But let's face it. Riding a motorcycle in the US makes practical sense for very few. Especially a Harley.

Riding a 150 cc Honda in China or India makes sense given their traffic and economic situation. But for most of us riding a motorcycle, any motorcycle is not done for any practical reason. So that means it is for the enhancement of our enjoyment of life. Harley does that for a lot of people. Does that mean we should be laughed at? If we choose a product that makes us happy are we deserving of ridicule?

I have a Harley, a Honda, two Kawasaki's and a Suzuki. Are my rice burners less expensive to buy and maintain? Yes. Do they get better gas mileage? Yes. Do they put as big a smile on my face as my Harley? No.

Which is most important to me? The smile on my face.

This is what Harley's marketing approach is missing. It is not a lifestyle. It is not about looking cool. There is a magical smile factor that Harley has captured.

The following 6 users liked this post by Sorg67:
02603SEC (03-20-2017), gee tee (03-22-2017), glide5904 (03-20-2017), Russ103 (03-21-2017), teal379 (03-21-2017), UPSGUY (03-21-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Yup...the damn prices are insane. But if people are going to pay them to ride a Harley, might as well "retire and ride".

OP, good question. I'd like to think that I would lower the prices of the bikes a smidge to attract more buyers. The metrics you mentioned are affordable bikes to ride, and for the most part are tailored to the younger crowd (sport bike riders, and crotch rockets). But...it's a business, and the point is to make money hand over fist for the share holders. Good question...interested to see where this goes.
You mean like the new 750 Street Rod for $8,699.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by rjjj629
CEO's doing a fine job as it is... don't change a thing

Maybe, but I guarantee they sit around conference rooms discussing how to reach more people.

Originally Posted by 04Hali
You mean like the new 750 Street Rod for $8,699.

To me, that hits the same old buttons but tries to do it for less money.

I think they need to hit some new buttons. Try to steal some BMW and Ducati customers. Let's face it. Most Ducati riders never come close to scratching the surface of their performance ability and would probably be happier on a Harley. They just won't buy one because of the Harley lifestyle image.

On the other hand. Going for new buttons is dangerous. Got to make sure you don't lose the existing customers. That is why Buell was Buell and not Harley. They did not want to tarnish the Harley brand.

So this has to be done carefully.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-21-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Last thing I want to see is a HD on every corner. HD is a premium brand as others have said. I want them to stay that way. Don't want to see a HD sportbike or adventure bike. They don't need to build a bazillion bikes like Japanese makers. HD, BMW, Ducati, bikes you don't buy to beat traffic or better gas mileage.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-05-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

Reminds me of the case study of Morgan Automobiles.

Harley is a large company, employing thousands, plus the licensing agreements.

Are the demographics that 50 yrs old is the average ago of a Harley owner?

Memories of WW2, Sturgis, bar hopping life style, et al fade and a younger crowd may not care for any of that "heritage".

Then there is perceived risk; where are our dedicated motorcycle paths the same that are given bicycles?

Smog and noise laws come into play.

These laws may be the biggest obstacle to the current product business model.

I am unsure what I would do other than make sure my product is extremely dependable and ignore, if in play, planned obsolescence.

On a secondary level perhaps build my product to handle and be safer to drive - cornering clearance, short braking distance, preload and all yet that "kills" after purchase products.

Third level is to have the "world" product affordable in those other countries (foreign tariff and tax issues) yet as CEO I may not have control of that other than political PAC contributions.

So a term paper to write as many wrote for Morgan....good luck.

Quick Reply: What Would You Do If You Were CEO of HD?