General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble with my ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:29 PM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default trouble with my ride

I have a 2010 Road King with the 96" - went for a short ride today, about 4 miles in after stopping at a stop light and during acceleration she started to buck and the I heard grinding noise coming from the drive train. The faster I went the smoother she road but never went away. engine runs smooth, no variation in tech but is definitely coming from drivetrain. slower I road the worse it was. when taking off from a start it grinds and then gradually it only bucks.

I do not know anything about compensators but heard this is a common problem on these bikes. anyone have any ideas.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 977 Likes on 466 Posts

Check your stator and rotor. When my electrical was going out and I went in and smelled the awful stench when opening the primary, I got to the rotor and several of the magnets had come off and were ground up all over the place. Yeah, it was a mess and a real PITA to clean.

It could be the shoe on the chain tensioner came off or the chain has chewed through, it could be many things, unfortunately. Start with the easiest though, take the derby cover off the primary and smell the inside. If it smells really nasty or not like plain ol' oil, there's usually a problem with the rotor and stator. You'll have to take the primary cover off to check the cheain tensioner, if I remember right, but that's relatively easy and only costs the price of a new gasket and a quart of oil, and a little time of course.

Start with that maybe and then just sit down next to the bike and start really looking over everything...sprocket, brake stuff, etc, things you can touch and see easily. Check fluid levels and look at the magnets on the drain plugs.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 PM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank You Tar Snake. I will do just that but it will not be for a couple of days do to work has me busy and not much time.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

When you drain the primary check the magnetic drain plug for metal pieces that should give you a idea the something came apart