General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Ozref
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy?

G'day all. I'm currently considering buying my first HD. At the moment I ride a 2006 Honda VTX1800 (which I love), but have been pretty impressed by some of the new model Harleys. Based on looks alone I'm interested in the Dyna Low Rider S, the Softail Slim S, and the Road King Special. I realize these are 3 very different bikes, but after people's thoughts on the three.

Some basic info - I'm 6'3", 220lbs, been riding for 20 years (always cruisers). Occasionally ride two-up (but less now that I have kids) and typically do 250-400mile days.

Obviously the best thing for me to do is test ride all three, but I figured this was a good place to start before doing that. So, any thoughts?

Old 04-07-2017, 08:35 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 2,481 Posts

Well, IMHO:

The Lowrider "S" is too trendy & a SOA wannabe bike. And, the rear fender is silly looking. The standard Lowrider is much better looking. No thanks.

The RoadKing Special...again; too trendy, and they leave off a buncha stuff & charge you more for it? Again; the standard RoadKing is much better looking for less money. No thanks.

Buy the Slim "S". It would be Dickey's second choice for a new Harley, after the Deluxe. In fact; I'd hafta toss a coin. Buy the Slim "S".

Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Go to a dealership and see which one looks good, that fits you the best and buy it. And test ride every bike that you like and choose it that way. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Ewing or used?
New you've spent a lot of money and might be strapped to buy more upgrades...
Used you can do what you want and have extra to move eyes to customize the hell out of it.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:03 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozref
G'day all. I'm currently considering buying my first HD. At the moment I ride a 2006 Honda VTX1800 (which I love), but have been pretty impressed by some of the new model Harleys. Based on looks alone I'm interested in the Dyna Low Rider S, the Softail Slim S, and the Road King Special. I realize these are 3 very different bikes, but after people's thoughts on the three.

Some basic info - I'm 6'3", 220lbs, been riding for 20 years (always cruisers). Occasionally ride two-up (but less now that I have kids) and typically do 250-400mile days.

Obviously the best thing for me to do is test ride all three, but I figured this was a good place to start before doing that. So, any thoughts?
As a long time former owner of an VTX 1800 Touring: If you can ride that top heavy pig, any Harley is going to feel like a toy. If you would have included the standard Road King in leu of the RK Special, I would be all over that. If only the 3 choices you listed, SOFTAIL

Old 04-07-2017, 09:13 PM
BluesCast
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Man I'd almost keep that VTX1800, they don't make them anymore and I don't think the sell for much used. Buddy has the cruiser one, with a cowl on the headlight and cowl down low on the frame and he lowered it, looks pretty mean.

I have a 103 softail slim with a stage 1 I threw on it, I can take him at light when he inadvertently spins the rear wheel. If you're interested in similar power, go for the softails with the S motor.

Good luck with your choice.

Oh and unlike a lot of Japanese bike dealers, you can test ride Harleys, make sure you do that.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Road King special with ugly green color, which costs extra 3000? Whatever makes you happy!
Compair specs:
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/

Last edited by 13RoadKing; 04-07-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Ozref
Stage III

Originally Posted by 13RoadKing
Road King special with ugly green color, which costs extra 2000? Funny!
Compair specs:
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/
Would definitely be the black, not the green

Old 04-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Ozref
Stage III

Originally Posted by BluesCast
Oh and unlike a lot of Japanese bike dealers, you can test ride Harleys, make sure you do that.
Funnily enough Down Under it's easier to get a test ride of the complete ranges of bikes from the Jap dealers. Some of the HD dealers around have very limited options for demos, for instance the Lowrider, but not the S. which makes the decision making process a little harder.

Thanks for all all the advice.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:18 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

250-400 mile days, I would be looking at the RK.

Quick Reply: What to buy?