General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

First ride this season. Finally the temps in the 60's. I have taken short trips thru the winter but my 56 yo bones don't like the sub 45 degree cold. Happy its spring and hoping I can get the wife to move to warmer climes.

I am wondering where you would suggest a move to for a couple from Westchester, NY could move and be happy. Warm and no snow, low cost homes and taxes. Low crime and drug problems and CCW. I know that seems a limited want list but most important.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-09-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:22 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Eastern Tennessee. No state income tax as well.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Offroadmaniac
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Texas!

Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Another vote for Texas. I've been riding since January.

Or Arizona or New Mexico.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

I did manage a ride in mid February, which is earlier than usual around here, but with the tail end of the season sneaking into November the "winter" gap seems to be gradually narrowing. Unfortunately MN residents have a healthy bite taken out of our incomes to feed the tax beast that is this state.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

NY is the most fled state in the country. Majority move to states like Florida or Texas who have less taxes. The only thing I hope is the people leaving that **** hole don't continue voting like they do where they came from. They bitch about taxes and vote for Mayor DeComio.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:35 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyh14
First ride this season. Finally the temps in the 60's. I have taken short trips thru the winter but my 56 yo bones don't like the sub 45 degree cold. Happy its spring and hoping I can get the wife to move to warmer climes.

I am wondering where you would suggest a move to for a couple from Westchester, NY could move and be happy. Warm and no snow, low cost homes and taxes. Low crime and drug problems and CCW. I know that seems a limited want list but most important.
I live across the Hudson River in Rockland County. Your taxes are the highest in the nation, Rockland is 2nd. I was down in Florida for 6 weeks to get away from the cold, February-March. I stayed in Palm Harbor for the first 4 weeks (by Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater) and looked around at homes. I found some excellent single family homes in the $250k range with real low HOA fees ($50 a month) and taxes. Low, low crime rate (drugs are everywhere) and very reasonable gun laws.

Went to Ormond Beach for the last 2 weeks (was there for bike week) and looked around that area also. St Augustine is a great little city, and if you don't care about being near the water, go inland to Crescent City and the surrounding areas. You'll be surprised at how low the taxes are there.

I decided to rent in a location before I buy. Just want to make sure I really like the area before I buy something.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

Some friends of ours moved to Savannah ga and love it. I've been there too to seethem and I really like it too. Riding would take some getting used to for me because it's so flat. But the housing is cheaper. I'd move in a heartbeat but the jobs don't pay anything unless you have specialized training that I could find

Old 04-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 620 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mule
NY is the most fled state in the country. Majority move to states like Florida or Texas who have less taxes. The only thing I hope is the people leaving that **** hole don't continue voting like they do where they came from. They bitch about taxes and vote for Mayor DeComio.
Actually, Illinois is the most fled state: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...220-story.html

Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 PM
MDSledhead
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Actually, Illinois is the most fled state: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...220-story.html

Ya... even Barak didn't go back. Don't get me wrong. Maryland is plenty effed up too. Here you have Baltimorons controlling the entire state, with both ends (West and Eastern) very rural and 80% or more conservative republicans.

Here in Western MD. We got 4" of snow on Friday... 70 degrees and riding the bike on Sunday. The past two winters have been really messed up

Quick Reply: First ride