General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Rules of Harley-Davidson Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Wowser
Is this the kind of stuff that the silly HD Forums Riding Club (or whatever it's called) pays for?
I'd be disappointed to find out that it did.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddman
I accept your challenge to show you how off base and idiotic this writer is. not saying that i'm good, i'm not even a writer. just a blue collar Harley rider that calls it like I see it, the CCE wrote a steaming pile of crap.

6 corrections to a writer who should understand his content and subject

1. The two finger wave.

If you’ve ever actually ridden a motorcycle you may have noticed others on two wheels give you a two finger wave. Some speculate that this is a friendly reminder to keep two wheels on the ground. Others say it’s just a recognition to those who have taken up the need to feel the wind and a freedom that can’t be explained. Still yet, it may just be the fact that they have ape hangers on their bikes and all the blood has run out of their hands leaving them with a limp arm and they are dangling it down it hopes that feeling will return. In any case, the two finger wave is better than getting the one finger salute

2. The ride along

As any real Harley-Davidson rider knows, there are no hard and fast rules about how you should or shouldn’t ride your bike. If you approach another Harley rider riding along your same route, don’t assume that you can join their ride. This might make them nervous since neither of you know the others driving capabilities. Join along with the wrong person or group and you may find their “proper etiquette” is to make your life miserable for trying to join in on a ride that you don’t belong in. I will say as a rider that enjoys being with my fellow Harley enthusiasts, if you want to ride in a pack, join a club or a chapter or meet up with your buddies and ride together. There is nothing like the feeling of riding in a large organized group of bikes.

3. Getting on your motorcycle

There is no right or wrong way to mount a motorcycle. You may have a unique exhaust or sissy bar that requires you to mount from the right. Maybe your short and need to mount from the left. Motor cops are taught to mount and dismount from the right to keep them away from what would normally be the traffic side of the bike. Maybe you mount from the left because that’s how your used to mounting your wife from your side of the bed. Grab a handful of break and mount your Harley in the way that is most safe a comfortable for you.

4. Rev Rev

Reving your engine to “salute” another Harley rider is not “Etiquette”. You can wave, head nod, or blip your throttle but none are considered necessary just because they ride the same bike brand as you. Reving your engine to alert a cager who is not paying attention to your presence is a good way to stay safe a keep other drivers alert. Reving your engine through a tunnel or under an underpass is just plain fun and brings a giant s*** eating grin to my face every time.

5. Share the Hate

There are some in the Harley community who think any foreign motorcycles are an abomination. If you think you must hate on any other type of motorcycle just because it’s not a Harley and expect others to do the same, you are a fool. Harley riders are one of the most stereotyped class of riders just because of this type of foolishness. All motorcycle riders have a commonality, we love being out on two or three wheels, in the wind and the ride is more important than the destination. If you want to hate on a specific type of vehicle, pick the Prius. I haven’t come across a Prius driver yet who understands what the fast lane is.

6. Stop and help

This is one of the cardinal rules as a rider. You may have your reasons for not stopping but a stranded motorcyclist is something we should all stop to at least make sure that they have things covered. Who knows, it might be your turn someday. With my luck, it will happen out of cell phone range in a haunted forest right as the zombie apocalypse breaks out and I sure will want all the help I can get.
#6: Stop and Help

I read somewhere that a helmet placed behind the back wheel while on the side of the road indicates the need for assistance. I didn't know this but it sounds logical. Do any of you practice this?

Many people hesitate to stop because the person might be relieving their or a passenger's bodily functions nearby, making a phone call or maybe adjusting something. Perhaps the helmet idea is a good idea.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
#6: Stop and Help

I read somewhere that a helmet placed behind the back wheel while on the side of the road indicates the need for assistance. I didn't know this but it sounds logical. Do any of you practice this?

Many people hesitate to stop because the person might be relieving their or a passenger's bodily functions nearby, making a phone call or maybe adjusting something. Perhaps the helmet idea is a good idea.
Haven't heard the helmet thing. I've only had to do it twice (check out stranded biker) and both times I just signaled a thumbs up to them to see if they were ok. both had help on the way and thanked me for the concern.

If i see you standing on the side of the road with captain winky in your hand, I'm not stopping

Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

last "curated content" link I click on.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Forum Member Oddman’s 6 Rules of Harley Davidson Etiquette

Forum Member Oddman’s 6 Rules of Harley Davidson Etiquette
By Oddman

Last edited by Curated Content Editor; 04-21-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts

Forum Member Oddman’s 6 Rules of Harley Davidson Etiquette

Last edited by Curated Content Editor; 04-21-2017 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Queen-of-Clubs (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Good job Oddman!

Last edited by Queen-of-Clubs; 04-21-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Oddman (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:30 PM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Much better!

Oddman (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member