General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a new bike for the WIFE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Fastlane
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying a new bike for the WIFE?

My wife wanted to give it a try so I bought a used honda rebel so she could understand the clutch when she went to the riders class. After the class we took a few road trips to make sure this was for her, then off to HD test rides during Daytona bike Week where she rode different bikes of which she picked a Deluxe. Made handlebar mod and she does great. We kept the rebel for a while and she put 3500 miles on it before making the switch. My wife loves to ride. By the way she would not ride with me at one point, then we went to the movies on the bike, then she went every where with me on the bike and noticed a lot of women have their own ride which sparked her.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what most everyone said. My wife started on a Suzuki Savage, then we picked up an Intruder. She just got a Deluxe and loves it. Not only is it a "surprise my wife" issue but it is more a safety issue.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Blackmouth
Road Master

Lots of great suggestions here.

I agree with those suggesting that you get her the riding course as the "surprise" for now.

If she likes the course, she'll get the bug, THEN you can get her a bike.
Start small (metric or sportster) and then get her the bigger bike (Ultra) when SHE'S ready and looking for something more.

Unless my wife made a few comments about a certain motorcycle she liked, I wouldn't surprise her with a make/model I thought was good for her. That can be an expensive and dangerous mistake.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM
hammer1
Advanced

My wifes first bike was the streetbob as it was harley or nothing for her but we had plans on touring so after I rode it once I traded it for her current bike the deluxe, she loves it and it fits her perfectly.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20879/98FE8190237C487B864F053413B0F3C3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20879/B7364BE165C944898A23C5E582180B5A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-06-2007, 11:59 AM
02sprtychick
Elite HDF Member

Wonderful thought, but maybe not practical considering she has never riden before. All the suggestions to provide her with the MSC seem to be the consensus. Once "she" expresses the idea to have her own bike then by all means support her and help with buying the proper one for her. She needs to sit on it, feel, touch it, and heck maybe even talk to it, in order to know which one she really wants.

In the meantime.....my birthday is Feb. 13th and my sporty could use a friend, an Ultra would do just fine, thank you.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:24 PM
jdcastille
Stage III

I took the riders course last March and picked out my bike after the course. I sat on many different HD models as well as other makes. I ended up with a sportster as my first bike. It felt a lot lighter than other models I sat on. Being so new and very nervous, I wanted something that I felt comfortable handling. I NEVER would have started out on a heavier bike. I now ride a heritage and it's awesome but I could not have started out on that bike. I would have been terrified of the weight. Bikes are so personal and unless she has ridden before and has expressed an interest in a specific make/model, it probably isn't a good idea for you to pick out such a heavy bike. Of course, if she's very tall and very strong, she may be able to handle it with no problems. I'm 5'4" and started out on the 883L which fit perfectly. You have good intentions but probably not practical. Surprise her by taking her bike shopping and then let her pick out what feels right to her.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,

I just wanna know where you find a woman that WOULD like a vacuum cleaner as a surprise Birthday present, top-of-the-line or not???????????????????????????????

Old 06-06-2007, 11:59 PM
tankerwyf
Banned Camp

I have to say that I agree with most of the opinions voiced here.

My husband surprised me with my bike for my birthday, but not in the buy-the-motorcycle-and-bring-it-home kind of surprise. It was more of the take me to the dealership, let me pick the bike I liked and then say "let's buy it" kind of surprise.

We took the MSF together last October. He bought his HD before we left Germany, and arranged to have it delivered to our dealership where we were going to be stationed. Being military, he had to take a safety course, plus I told him before we ever got married over12 years ago thatI would NEVER get on the back of a motorcycle with him until he went through a course and test to learn to ride properly and safely. Well, before we left Germany, I decided I'd take the course with him to learn to be a better passenger.

The riding bug bit me, hard. I would wait for him to get home from work so I could take his 06 Softail around the neighborhood to practice. I guess he got tired of me stealing his. So the next weekend we went to a dealership. I had been thinking that the Streetbob was the bike I liked. I just liked the look of it. We pulled into the dealership and there was this gorgeous blue bike sitting out front. I fell in love pretty much instantly with this 2000 Wideglide. I kept coming back to it as we looked around. Then I got the salesman's permission to sit on it, and that was all she wrote. It just fit me. I was allowed to ride it around the parking lot.

I tell this story to say that I'd probably have been a bit intimidated if my husband just went out and chose the bike that HE thought was right for me and brought it home. How can he really know what will feel right for me?

So I agree...sign her up for the course as a gift. See how she likes it. If she's hooked, then take her and let her pick out the bike that's right for her. I don't necessarily believe in starting out on a small bike and moving up (after all, I didn't do that), but I don't think I'd recommend starting out on a touring model.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a Harley is a personal thing. Think aboout it........would you want someone picking out your motorcycle. My wife started out on a Suzuki 650 Savage. Then she went to a sporty and now has a Fatboy. All three were her choices. She didn't pick mine out and I didn't pick hers!
Phil

Old 06-07-2007, 05:32 AM
IraqIs4Lovers
Cruiser

All of these posts are very good and I agree with the general opinion of everyone. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the financial issue. I don't know how you and your wife are financially but if I ever spent that much money on something without consulting her first my wife would kill me. My cousin bought a truck without consulting his wife and he had to go right down to the dealer after she got home from work and cancel the sale.

Quick Reply: Buying a new bike for the WIFE?