General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA Inspection now only 6 months ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
California did away with inspections almost 40 years ago.
I would rather go every two years at a time of my choosing than have roadside inspections at their time of choice.

I lived out there late 80s early 90s and dealt with that a time or two.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I would rather go every two years at a time of my choosing than have roadside inspections at their time of choice.

I lived out there late 80s early 90s and dealt with that a time or two.
The last time I went through a roadside inspection here in California was in 1971. Perhaps, it was a "Revenue Negative" thing, or, it cost more to do than it brought in.

More likely, is that it had a more negative impact on low income and illegal aliens (if that term is too "incorrect for you...too bad. I call it like I see it), and they didn't want to have that kind of "optic." After all, they need those people to keep votin' democrat.

The only roadside inspections they do now, at least here in Central California are sobriety checkpoints.

At any rate, they get their revenue through vehicle registration and gasoline tax now. It'll most likely cost me nearly double the already outrageous fee for yearly tags, which currently is about $150 on my Deluxe, and about $300 on my truck. My bikes do not require any inspection or smog check. My truck needs a smog check every two years once it gets to be five years old.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 AM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I here guys all the time who brag they have never inspected their motorcycles here in PA . Well I have worked in the insurance industry and they just look for a reason to denie your claim . You are in a really bad motorcycle accident with hundreds of thousands of dollars in bodily injury and even death and your bike has not been inspected. Guess what ? The insurance company will claim that maybe your brakes or tires were bad ? How do we know your motorcycle was even safe to drive it has not been inspected. Trust me, they will not pay out on your claim .

Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
We've had vehicle inspections in Texas for decades but I was told that next year will the last year. It makes me wonder where they'll make up the lost income from us!
And this has to do with PA or the OP's question how? All it did was obviously derail the thread since people are now talking about inspections in Missouri and California.

OP, I found that chart after a quick Google search that shows the 6 month inspections are done over the winter months to get you into a full yearly inspection to be completed during the riding months. I have no idea why PA does this, just thought it may help you out.

You might want to call the shop you had it done at ask for an explanation.

The following users liked this post:
yellowpearlfb (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

OP does the state not think anyone can ride a bike during the winter months? Is that the reason no stickers are issued during that time?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:13 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
And this has to do with PA or the OP's question how? All it did was obviously derail the thread since people are now talking about inspections in Missouri and California.
So unless I live in Pennsylvania, I shouldn't have posted? Good to know that. Thanks for the heads up.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChickinOnaChain:
jakenok (06-21-2017), will2002 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
So unless I live in Pennsylvania, I shouldn't have posted? Good to know that. Thanks for the heads up.
Oh crap maybe I should delete my post then?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:17 PM
jerryinpa
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
OP does the state not think anyone can ride a bike during the winter months? Is that the reason no stickers are issued during that time?
stickers are not issued during the "winter" months cause the mechanic can not test ride the bike in bad weather. Old rule,not updated to reflect changing weather patterns. In PA.vehicles are not supposed to be inspected with snow or ice on the ground.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:18 PM
RG RON
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Pa Inspection

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

OP, I found that chart after a quick Google search that shows the 6 month inspections are done over the winter months to get you into a full yearly inspection to be completed during the riding months. I have no idea why PA does this, just thought it may help you out.

You might want to call the shop you had it done at ask for an explanation.
This gentleman is correct, As a former Pa. inspection mechanic and shop owner. I agree its a rip off at times, but you would not believe what comes in your shop. I had a neighbor years ago who worked on bikes p/t as he had a f/t time job and he would send them to my shop to be inspected if needed. One day a reg. customer came over for an inspection, was scheduled so I knew he was coming. He brought his dresser in and the front tire had nylon cords sticking out the front tire and upon rubbing the tire with my hand, it was very hot because of being worn and slapping the road do to flat spots. I told him that no way that bike could be insp. with a tire like that. Of course he gets pissed off. Money was no object with this guy and I knew it , but it was my fault I refused to sticker it and he waited until the very last minute to get a sticker, Sorry, this was my livelihood. I told him that I wouldn't ride that bike, but push it home or go to the bike shop to order a tire and get it replaced , then no problem. The stories I could tell you of the stuff out there on our highways is frightening at times. I'm glad that I no longer deal with the public, as some shouldn't even be owning a vehicle let alone driving is completely absurd. PS this neighbor had called me prior to the apt to inform me of the front tire, but was tired of the heartache the customer gave him and apologized to me , so I listened to the bleeding heart and then refused to sticker it.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jerryinpa
stickers are not issued during the "winter" months cause the mechanic can not test ride the bike in bad weather. Old rule,not updated to reflect changing weather patterns. In PA.vehicles are not supposed to be inspected with snow or ice on the ground.
I guess it wouldn't pay for me to live in Pa. as I would not allow a mechanic to "test" my bike just for an inspection. Here they actually inspect the bike with no need to be a rider. The only person I allow to ride my bike is the master mechanic at the HD dealership after any service has been performed.

The following users liked this post:
jakenok (06-21-2017)

Quick Reply: PA Inspection now only 6 months ?