General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA Inspection now only 6 months ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
Missouri has talked about doing away with their inspection for years, hasn't happened yet.

Here the inspection is only good for 60 days but it is only needed to buy plates. Every 2 years I get a new inspection sticker good for 60 days.

Second Quote: I would rather go every two years at a time of my choosing than have roadside inspections at their time of choice.

I lived out there late 80s early 90s and dealt with that a time or two.
Originally Posted by dribble
You are misinformed.

No smog inspections on motorcycles, roadside or otherwise. Roadside inspections for cars are data gathering tools only, to measure the effectiveness on the program. The roadside program is voluntary so if there is one you can just say no thanks. If you choose to participate, there are no citations or correction tickets given. You're told about it and sent on your way.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Road...n_Program.html
I never mentioned smog checks. I was talking about roadside "safety" inspections or whatever you want to call them. I twice had them go over my bike with a fine tooth comb looking for something to write up, it was in the Gilroy area both times. Don't know if it was legal or not but they did it just the same.

There is no smog check in Missouri, I think inside St. Louis they might but has nothing to do with the rest of the state. They have a safety inspection ( at a garage)before you can get your plates. Other than if a light or something obvious is out I have never had my vehicle checked on the roadside in Missouri to see if any equipment was working or not.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I never mentioned smog checks. I was talking about roadside "safety" inspections or whatever you want to call them. I twice had them go over my bike with a fine tooth comb looking for something to write up, it was in the Gilroy area both times. Don't know if it was legal or not but they did it just the same.

There is no smog check in Missouri, I think inside St. Louis they might but has nothing to do with the rest of the state. They have a safety inspection ( at a garage)before you can get your plates. Other than if a light or something obvious is out I have never had my vehicle checked on the roadside in Missouri to see if any equipment was working or not.
California passed a law three years ago making motorcycle only inspections illegal. I've been riding here for 47 years and have never encountered what you described except the roadside inspection on my GTO in 1975 that I mentioned earlier. That program ended 40 years ago. There are no roadside safety inspections.

Last edited by dribble; 06-21-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
We've had vehicle inspections in Texas for decades but I was told that next year will the last year. It makes me wonder where they'll make up the lost income from us!
They'll probably do what New Jersey did. Registration used to be about $35 7 years ago. Then they dropped the motorcycle inspection requirement, and raised the fee to $65 a year. Charge you more, and give you nothing for it.,,,

Old 06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 265 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by brudford
I here guys all the time who brag they have never inspected their motorcycles here in PA.
Here in NC we used to have inspection stickers and I had many friends who would just blow off their inspection for years in a row. Only enforcement was a cop would have to notice your out of date sticker and pull you over.

Well, NC re-did their whole system a few years ago, there is no more sticker. When a garage passes your vehicle inspection, they enter your VIN into the state database. When you get your annual registration renewal in the mail, in big letters it says: "You must have a valid state inspection within 90 days of registration renewal. Checks sent in with no inspection will be returned."

So slackers can't get away with driving around without a current inspection any longer! Unless they drive with an expired registration. Which means their insurance is no good. Which means they are now completely illegal. I like it because I don't have an ugly (and vision blocking) sticker in the window or on my bike somewhere.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:08 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
They'll probably do what New Jersey did. Registration used to be about $35 7 years ago. Then they dropped the motorcycle inspection requirement, and raised the fee to $65 a year. Charge you more, and give you nothing for it.,,,
That sounds about right.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:27 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

I have lived in 4 Western States and none of them had a required MC safety/smog inspection.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Beerman1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pa is getting all motorcycle inspections to expire in May to November, so yes some of us get screwed this year. Once your in those months your inspections will then go for a year, they don't match registration expiration any more.

Last edited by Beerman1; 06-22-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added motorcycle
Old 06-22-2017, 01:51 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryinpa
stickers are not issued during the "winter" months cause the mechanic can not test ride the bike in bad weather. Old rule,not updated to reflect changing weather patterns. In PA.vehicles are not supposed to be inspected with snow or ice on the ground.

They test ride your vehicle?!!

Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM
pahogrider
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In 23 years of PA motorcycle inspections, they have never even mentioned test riding my bike.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by pahogrider
In 23 years of PA motorcycle inspections, they have never even mentioned test riding my bike.
Not in Texas either. Lights, brake light, horn (I think) but that's about all. And living away from a big city, it's only $7.

Quick Reply: PA Inspection now only 6 months ?