General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA About Speeding in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Curt5811
Road Captain
Received 175 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
It's a money grab and nothing more, they will just say it's for your own safety. They are parked all over the interstate creating revenue in the name of safety.
You're absolutely right. The government should not be in the business of collecting revenue. Instead of a monetary fine, anyone caught breaking the law should be handcuffed and transported straight to the County Jail, pending a court hearing within 72 hours. No bail either, since that could also be counted as revenue. The vehicle should be impounded.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 529 Posts

SLIGHTLY

TKDKurt,

Sorry I couldn't resist. Gotta love VIRGINIA!

YB

Anyone who know VIRGINIA, has seen this one.

This is a new one that VAHOG made.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

I should add, if it hasn't been posted in this thread, 20 MPH over the posted speed limit carries the same offense. Of course it's up to the cop's discretion but the State boys are less prone to giving you a break.

I'm really curious how they can outlaw radar detectors though. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:31 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
I live in Va. There are spots that troopers lurk. On I95, be careful around Petersburg Va heading into NC. They love to tag speeders on about a 50mile stetch of I95. If you are on I81, they hangout around Woodstock for about 20 miles either direction.
True and true!

Old 06-23-2017, 06:22 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,649 Likes on 8,658 Posts

They also hang out on I-95 just north of exit 136 in the woods as you start into the uphill.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

Around here in NC, most LEO's will wave at bikers, so when I travel to other states I'll throw up my hand to the Law, just being friendly.

In VA last year, wifey and I were leaving the motel heading back to NC when we met a HP officer, so I waved at him.
He did a 'bootlegger' and here he came tearing up behind me; (don't do that) so I brake checked him. He backed off and followed us for "miles".
I finally pulled over and let him go by. Told the wife he'd be waiting down the road. Sure enough about 10 miles further, there he was at an intersection in a little town named Check.
I was doing about 5 under the posted speed limit and as I went by, I waved at him.
Never bothered us again.
Seems like little things set them off.
Now, I don't wave at LEO's unless they throw up a hand..............

Last edited by not a sock; 06-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

....we've heard it before...'if it saves just one child' rhetoric....

Old 06-23-2017, 07:02 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Around here in NC, most LEO's will wave at bikers, so when I travel to other states I'll throw up my hand to the Law, just being friendly.

In VA last year, wifey and I were leaving the motel heading back to NC when we met a HP officer, so I waved at him.
He did a 'bootlegger' and here he came tearing up behind me; (don't do that) so I brake checked him. He backed off and followed us for "miles".
I finally pulled over and let him go by. Told the wife he'd be waiting down the road. Sure enough about 10 miles further, there he was at an intersection in a little town named Check.
I was doing about 5 under the posted speed limit and as I went by, I waved at him.
Never bothered us again.
Seems like little things set them off.
Now, I don't wave at LEO's unless they throw up a hand..............
I have always done the same. Most LEOs seem to understand bikers and know that bikers, as a whole support law enforcement. But last weekend I was on a country road and came upon an LEO in a speed trap as I came around a curve. I was only a couple miles over the limit and waved. As I passed, I saw the blue flashing lights come on in my rear view. The car didn't move and they went back off. I wasn't sure if that was a new way of returning my wave or if that was an "F-you, don't wave at me, Boy."

Bottom line is the world isn't as friendly a place as it used to be.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,246 Likes on 17,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
It's a money grab and nothing more, they will just say it's for your own safety. They are parked all over the interstate creating revenue in the name of safety.
Yup very nice no brainer money maker and they do love out of staters. After living out here for so long any driving I do back east is a trial.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default It's easy to use and FREE!

Originally Posted by J F GO
Thank you for the info. I had always heard that you don't ever want to get pulled over for speeding in Virginia. And a radar detector is also going to be a problem for you as well.
I run up and down the East coast between FL and NJ a few times a year. Virginia is the one state that you don't want to be screwing around in! I95 in VA is the most heavily patrolled section of I95 I go thru! As a rule, I don't "speed" while driving! I just set the cruise and sit back as the miles role by. Where they get you is with their damn speed changes! One minute it's 65, the next it's 55. Gotta keep your eyes open!

As for radar detectors, that's yesterdays technology! I'm sold on the GPS app for my smart phone - WAZE! It's a live time, peer to peer rolling commentary on all road conditions including traffic, hazards, road closures, suggested roots and police siting's! It's easy to use and FREE!

Quick Reply: PSA About Speeding in Virginia