General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing bike - hose down whole bike vs "dry" clean

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:15 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I ride by the ocean most weeks so I'd rather use a hose first then soapy water, then rinse with the hose, then leaf blower and then a towel. If I'm feeling energetic the bikes will get the proper wax treatment.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:34 AM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 66 Posts

I never used to care about washing the bike just ride it and wash once sometimes twice a year. Two years ago, I bought my my current ride and the big blue pearl really needs to be clean in the sun. I still only hose and bucket wash it 2 or 3 times a year but I use Original Bike Spirits spray cleaner more often. I know it's not the best on the paint but it's a lot more than I used to do.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I quit hosing 2 bikes ago.My rides look way better than new.I do totally detail them after every ride. It's about a 3.5 hour job. I never take short rides.

Attached Thumbnails Washing bike - hose down whole bike vs "dry" clean-flstn-085.jpg  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:41 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

The problem with washing in the Phoenix area, as you mentioned, are the mineral spots left by our extremely hard water that require re-wetting and wiping down to get them off.

After I have ridden on wet roads, the bike has to be washed. I take a small bucket and a couple of microfiber towels to the self service spot free car wash, hose down the bike, switch to soap and fill the bucket, wipe down the bike and finish with the spot free rinse and ride it home. Bike still has a few spots but not nearly as bad.

Another option I am looking at is getting a good filtration system that connects to the garden hose faucet to remove the hardness.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I'll use a bucket and hose after a long trip, it needs it by then. Otherwise I use either Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish or Bug Slide for quick cleanup of bugs after a short trip if I haven't hit rain. The Honda spray used to be Original Bike Spirits, not as good as the Original but still the best I can find here.

If it's just a layer of dust I hit it with a California Car Duster. The California Mini Duster is the perfect size for the bike.

My method is probably not the best for the paint finish but it is fast and easy. During the cold winter months I take my time and go over the bike with Maguiars Compound, Polish and Wax. Its a lot of work, but there is no riding here in the winter.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:27 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Living in the Great Northwet, I find wetting the bike with a hose softens the mud and road grime, then wash each area starting from the front with a soapy mitt and a special cleaning rod that gets into tiny spaces, rinse as I go. Then a dry chammie or towel wipe down.
Wet roads, mountain rain squalls, some gravel roads makes it difficult for long distance travelers. We just set a record for dry days, so bike gets covered with dust at places like the Renaissance Faire or Highland games parking lots. A quick wash and dry after these events takes 10 minutes. I just hate leaving all that dust and dirt sitting on the finish. Too easy to scratch. My local rider, errands, commute in this dry weather stays clean. Have not washed it all summer.
My magic tool is a narrow rod cleaner I got at a janitorial supply house. It gets everywhere. Behind the bags, around the rocker arm covers, inside and above the mufflers, everywhere I cannot reach. That one tool makes cleaning fast and complete.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I'm with the guys who actually care about their paint and I'm only running black primer right now. I'd rather leave it dirty until I can properly wash it off with a good rinse off, spray down, warm soapy water. I also really like using my pressure washer, with a little care. That takes the bugs right off but you have to be careful with it.

I wish we could still find real, goat-skin shammy's, instead of all this micro-fiber, plastic cloth bs. I still have an old one I've had around for a few decades and I love it.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:29 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

[QUOTE=BikerPepe`;16525633

I wish we could still find real, goat-skin shammy's, instead of all this micro-fiber, plastic cloth bs. I still have an old one I've had around for a few decades and I love it.[/QUOTE]

plenty for sale if you google, here's one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blazer-In...FQOEsgodPXgNzQ

and another from New Zealand http://www.chamois.co.nz/

Old 08-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

For a quick "wash job" I use Speed Shine from Griots Garage. This stuff does wonders for taking of bugs and grime in seconds. I do use microfiber towels. I live on a quarter mile of sand gravel so my bike gets dusty and dirty pretty quick.

I go to the car wash once or twice a year and hit it with soap from a distance, and then rinse it down with spot free rinse. Works great. I then towel of the remaining water on the seat and front end to keep from getting drowned on the way home. Washed my 84 Iron head Sporty for 23 years this way and never had a problem.

My 99 Softail Custom gets the same treatment, and I never waxed either one of them. They still look like new. The clear coat they put on now seems to last forever. I like to spend my time riding more than cleaning, so that is low priority. My grandson has the Sporty now, and it still looks great. Harley finishes are second to none.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,992 Likes on 17,500 Posts

Where you live I'd skip the water wash and use an air hose to blow the bike down to clear the dust & sand then the usual polish & wax of the paint & shiney stuff. Unless you have rain grime a full hose down is more work for what little gain you get. Wheels being the exception but those will always need hands on to get clean anyway.

Maybe give her a bath once a year, about what I do and it seems to have worked well over the years.

Quick Reply: Washing bike - hose down whole bike vs "dry" clean