General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did they continue to rubber mount the Touring models

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:59 AM
22duke
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why did they continue to rubber mount the Touring models

Now that they have merged the Dyna and Softail into one model (like it or not) and made a rigid mount engine with twin balance shafts. I was just wondering why they choose to keep the new Touring family rubber mounted with one balance shaft? Not that I would prefer the new M8 engine solid mounted, in a Touring. But I actually like they have dampen the vibes a fair amount in the new M8 Touring family but you still have the smooth vibes.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:51 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Today's riders want to have a Harley, but want it want it to ride like a Honda.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,757 Likes on 3,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Today's riders want to have a Harley, but want it want it to ride like a Honda.
And you meet the nicest people on a Honda

Old 08-25-2017, 06:07 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,318 Likes on 1,340 Posts

I am going to go with, Harley Davidson likes to make incremental changes as it serves two purposes. Doesn't over load them if things go wrong and provides incentive to owners to keep buying new.

I hope the touring gets an option of fully counter balanced M8, it is really odd that the touring line has the shake at idle and not the softtails. So likely they just could not get it all done for 17?

for 19 I expect the touring line to at least get all LED lighting across the board as standard. If they could knock 50+ pounds of the touring line it would be awesome, something about V-twins seems to make manufacturers lazy

Old 08-25-2017, 09:58 AM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 22duke
Now that they have merged the Dyna and Softail into one model (like it or not) and made a rigid mount engine with twin balance shafts. I was just wondering why they choose to keep the new Touring family rubber mounted with one balance shaft? Not that I would prefer the new M8 engine solid mounted, in a Touring. But I actually like they have dampen the vibes a fair amount in the new M8 Touring family but you still have the smooth vibes.
They didn't update the Touring this year. I expect there will be a new frame next year for the Touring that will be monoshock with a solid mount motor.

The lack of the 114 in the touring bikes is a tell to me. Next year's outrage is likely to be the changes to the Touring line. People should be done complaining about the Softails by then.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I see a new touring frame too. One duel balanced motor in production, solid mounts all around. It would be cheaper to produce, lighter, and better handling. I think they launched the M8 in the rubber touring frame because it was quick and easy.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 10:32 AM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry64
I see a new touring frame too. One duel balanced motor in production, solid mounts all around. It would be cheaper to produce, lighter, and better handling. I think they launched the M8 in the rubber touring frame because it was quick and easy.
That's what i see coming. Also, the Touring was updated not long ago, so they get another year out of it. It gives a push to the new Softails by giving them a year of being "better".

Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj49
They didn't update the Touring this year. I expect there will be a new frame next year for the Touring that will be monoshock with a solid mount motor.

The lack of the 114 in the touring bikes is a tell to me. Next year's outrage is likely to be the changes to the Touring line. People should be done complaining about the Softails by then.
Originally Posted by Larry64
I think these fellows are right. The original M8 single balance engine and frame will last three additional years, max. The shortest big twin run in a long time. Even the original TC88 made it from 1999 to 2007 in at least one model line.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:22 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm curious if any of the people who 'see things' in the touring line saw the current changes we are seeing in the 2018's?

Old 08-25-2017, 12:30 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj49
^^^ This. There have been rumors of a new frame for a while now. I would definitely be interested in an improved mono shock touring frame. I was riding mono shock sport bikes starting in the 80's and motocross bikes before that. They are superior to conventional twin shock designs. Stiffer inverted forks would also be a plus.

Last edited by RedNose44; 08-25-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Why did they continue to rubber mount the Touring models