General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dealer that I walked out on called today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Rules #'s 1, 2 & 3 of negotiating for the best price - be willing to walk away. The moment the salesperson senses you are buying their product come hell or high water - you will be paying top-dollar. How often has a salesperson asked, "are you prepared to purchase today?" That really means, "how anxious are you?" If your answer is "yeah, I'm ready to buy", you might as well just say "yeah, I'm reaching for my ankles."

Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 AM
smooothone23
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Lol... You must be a dealer or work for one!!! Hahaha.. First off I was NEVER an A hole to the sales man. Not once. And yeah I get each dealer has there own philosophy on how they want to sell bikes. I choose the dealer that gives the discounts.

And yes I did still pay more then usual I usually pay at msrp or under. But I figured for this time of year with the bikes fresh off the truck and the other dealers wanting between $24 and $25k ill deal with the $22,800 otd this time.

You have to pay a little more to go first class??!? Lol. Yeah ok. The dealer I bought my bike from is Really nice and has a great parts and service department and I get 10% off anything I want for the bike. And they actually delivered my bike for free because they didn't want me to ride an hour home in the crap weather. And I didn't even ask for that!!
Dealer-yes. I work for a top 3 dealer in the US, so some of the "facts" that are stated are inaccurate. Philosophy is different among dealerships for sure. No one said you were an a-hole. The fact is if you act as one you won't get a deal period.

Discounts-dealers are held to margin averages. They can give one away here and there but for the most part have to maintain a certain margin or future allocation is affected. You got 10% on parts and service? We hand out the 10% discount if you are breathing. We have a military program that gives you 15% off parts and accessories and labor rate in the shop. Also gives you special pricing on new and used. Pretty big deal here. Delivery of motorcycles? Free delivery is included with every purchase whether it is used or new. The sales department pays a full time driver to do nothing but that.

Pricing-Dealers want to make as much as possible and customer want to brag on forums that they stole the bike. Somewhere in the middle is a deal. Don't hate the dealer for asking to make a profit. Just like we don't hate you for a ridiculous opening offer. Your bike is last years news. (No offense) Nothing exciting about that model in its second year run. No changes of any substance. The excitement is the Street and Road Glide Special models and the 114s in the new Softail frames. You will pay over MSRP for sure until the hype is gone. Period.

First Class-you are buying a luxury bucket list item. you want cheap go and buy a Vulcan. You want a deal-be a great negotiator, don't be a douche, and be a loyal customer. No one gets treated better than family.

The real issue that is not discussed is the middle man-your salesman. He is the one that makes your experience. He is the one that can make it pleasant and kickass or horrible and forum worthy. But salesman issues is another long story.

I am willing to discuss whatever you want from a dealer perspective. Just ask.

And congrats on your bike. You have something that lots of others will never have. You will be the envy of a lot of people. Ride it like you stole it (even though you didnt...lol).

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Rules #'s 1, 2 & 3 of negotiating for the best price - be willing to walk away. The moment the salesperson senses you are buying their product come hell or high water - you will be paying top-dollar. How often has a salesperson asked, "are you prepared to purchase today?" That really means, "how anxious are you?" If your answer is "yeah, I'm ready to buy", you might as well just say "yeah, I'm reaching for my ankles."
The dealer wants to know how serious you are before investing hours into you for nothing more than a "Thanks I am going to shop you".

If you have a fish on the line, your goal is to reel it in. If you unhook it and ask for it to come back, it wont.

The Be-Back Bus is never operational. "I will be back". No, you wont.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-06-2017 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan D. (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

I have a similar story. I walked out of a dealership, and drove an hour to buy my bike at a place that valued my money. The dealership that wouldn't work with me called me to learn that they were a day late, and dollar short.

Zakk13 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by smooothone23
Dealer-yes. I work for a top 3 dealer in the US, so some of the "facts" that are stated are inaccurate. Philosophy is different among dealerships for sure. No one said you were an a-hole. The fact is if you act as one you won't get a deal period.

Discounts-dealers are held to margin averages. They can give one away here and there but for the most part have to maintain a certain margin or future allocation is affected. You got 10% on parts and service? We hand out the 10% discount if you are breathing. We have a military program that gives you 15% off parts and accessories and labor rate in the shop. Also gives you special pricing on new and used. Pretty big deal here. Delivery of motorcycles? Free delivery is included with every purchase whether it is used or new. The sales department pays a full time driver to do nothing but that.

Pricing-Dealers want to make as much as possible and customer want to brag on forums that they stole the bike. Somewhere in the middle is a deal. Don't hate the dealer for asking to make a profit. Just like we don't hate you for a ridiculous opening offer. Your bike is last years news. (No offense) Nothing exciting about that model in its second year run. No changes of any substance. The excitement is the Street and Road Glide Special models and the 114s in the new Softail frames. You will pay over MSRP for sure until the hype is gone. Period.

First Class-you are buying a luxury bucket list item. you want cheap go and buy a Vulcan. You want a deal-be a great negotiator, don't be a douche, and be a loyal customer. No one gets treated better than family.

The real issue that is not discussed is the middle man-your salesman. He is the one that makes your experience. He is the one that can make it pleasant and kickass or horrible and forum worthy. But salesman issues is another long story.

And congrats on your bike. You have something that lots of others will never have. You will be the envy of a lot of people. Ride it like you stole it (even though you didnt...lol).
Maybe I'd have a better understanding of your philosophies if I knew what State you operate out of. I can tell you this, if dealers and retailers turned away every customer who was rude and/or an a-hole, there would be no dealers and/or retailers in New York. Butt hurt or not, dealers still suck it up and deal with customers.

And your comment "be a loyal customer" being the key to not being taken advantage of, I call bullshit. This may be the procedure in your dealership, but certainly not every dealership. A case-in-point is a very good friend of mine. For ***** & giggles he browsed a dealership near his job for a Street Glide. He had never dealt with this dealership. They quoted a price and he thanked them for their time. He then went to a dealership near his home which he had dealt with on multiple occasions and bought multiple bikes from. In other words, he tried to remain a "loyal customer". How was he rewarded for his loyalty? They quoted him thousands of dollars over the first dealership. Only after expressing his disappointment, leaving the dealership and having several subsequent telephone conversations, did dealer #2 agree to "match" the price of dealer #1. Loyal, shmolyal - at least around here, if a salesperson senses they can f*ck you, they will f*ck you. Buyer beware!

The following 2 users liked this post by sailmotion:
FLSSBart (09-07-2017), Zakk13 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Bob_Loblaw
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You will pay over MSRP for sure until the hype is gone. Period.
Not if people would get their head out of their a$$ and not pay MSRP +. We're our own worst enemy.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member

The dealer wants to know how serious you are before investing hours into you for nothing more than a "Thanks I am going to shop you".

If you have a fish on the line, your goal is to reel it in. If you unhook it and ask for it to come back, it wont.

The Be-Back Bus is never operational. "I will be back". No, you wont.
Here's something you seem to fail to understand: that whole "wasting someone's time" is a mutual problem for BOTH dealers and purchasers. If you, as a dealer, chose to "high ball" the price because you think I'm desperate, or an uneducated consumer and/or an easy mark, you are wasting MY time. No offense, but if you've never had a customer discuss a purchase with you, leave and ultimately come back, I see only two possibilities: 1) you suck as a salesman, or 2) you high-balled them [commendably trying to get top-dollar] and they called your bluff and went elsewhere.

For me, on high-ticket items, I have negotiated, shopped multiple dealers, researched and often returned to dealer #1. And BTW, having a dealer offer to "match" another dealer's price - thanks, but no thanks. I'm not rewarding you for riding the coattails of someone else's effort. You want my business, do better than dealer #1 [or 2, or 3].

EDIT: As a consumer, I also love being generically referred to as a "fish". [sarcasm intended]

Last edited by sailmotion; 09-06-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: add
The following 4 users liked this post by sailmotion:
BTLorys (09-06-2017), crazytown (09-11-2017), Dr.Midnight (09-06-2017), Zakk13 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
In my own business, we sell wholesale products nationwide, and honestly, we don't waste our time with customers who are shopping price. That is somewhat apples and oranges compared to selling motorcycles, because we don't sell to the general public. We endeavor to do a truly exceptional job for our clients, and limit ourselves to customers who see the value in what we do and are willing to pay for it. If a prospective client makes it known that all he wants is the lowest price, I tell him to go buy some crap from China and good luck. He can be someone else's headache.

The flip side of your position is this: Maybe as a matter of strategy they do not want to become known as a "low price leader". Maybe they are pursuing a strategy of selling based on premium service to customers who are willing to pay a premium price. If you follow that strategy, selling even once at what they consider a low price will have further, downstream costs: They do not want the word on the street being that they are the place to go for a low price. And the same guy who beat the crap out of you on the initial sale is going to continue to beat the crap out of you on parts and service business as well.

My knowledge on this, such as it is, comes from my father's life-long best friend who was a (fairly big time) second generation car dealer. Spent many hours sitting around discussing these sorts of things with him. There are high priced consultants that big dealers hire to coach their sales teams on these techniques.

My real point here is that the dealer's conduct is never an accident. They are negotiating based on a pre-defined sales strategy, and frequently that strategy will tell them not to make a deal even if the buyer is ready and willing and the buyer's price has profit in it for them.

All that said, personally, I don't see how you can sell a generic product at retail on that basis. One dealer's 2018 Harley is no different than another's. My experience is you can only charge premium prices if you are delivering premium value, and if the value you are delivering is no different than anyone else's, that doesn't work.

The good news, as we've seen, is that there's more than one place to buy a bike. If one dealer doesn't operate the way you would like, there are others who do.
You know better than I. However, I would think that the money they make off the bike is less than what they will make from parts, accessories and maintenance. This doesn't include the free "word of mouth" advertising they will receive if the buyer's experience is good. Include the return business that gives the dealership continuation. In my business, it's called multi-lining, which is where the real money is.

Zakk13 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

There are many things I can say and address about this post but I wont. For whatever reason you sound pretty but hurt in your posts. Its almost like your offended that I'm trying to start a movement of people saving money so they don't get a$$ raped by the dealerships.. First you bring up in another post about customers being " a holes". Which sounded like you were assuming that I was. Then you say that I really didn't get a deal. And now your saying the bike I purchased is " Old news". Lol.. You Sir are the "A hole". Typical dealer!!!!

For one I don't know how my bike is old news when it just came out this year! It was a 2017 1/2..And mine is an 18. Secondly those Bikes that have the " excitement around them" Like the Street glide special and the Road glide Special are the same exact bike and style just with a fairing. Wow!! So cutting edge and different. As far as the new Softail/Dyna babies I could have bought one. Was even looking at getting the new Fatboy but chose the Road King Special because I felt it was a better bike for the money. The 114 engine? Wow a entire 7 ft pounds of torque more then the 107 m8. If I really need that for my Road king they sell the kit. Was not enough to make me choose an entire different bike over it.

And as far as my 10% off discount. I actually have 3 discounts 10% off 20% off and 15% off. To be honest I have to go back and check what they all even cover because I don't remember. I know one is parts the other is for clothing and I forget the 3rd. And I never said I wanted cheap. Just don't feel like paying $3k over msrp!!

What dealership are you so I can avoid it at all costs in the future????

Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

There are many things I can say and address about this post but I wont. For whatever reason you sound pretty but hurt in your posts. Its almost like your offended that I'm trying to start a movement of people saving money so they don't get a$$ raped by the dealerships.. First you bring up in another post about customers being " a holes". Which sounded like you were assuming that I was. Then you say that I really didn't get a deal. And now your saying the bike I purchased is " Old news". Lol.. You Sir are the "A hole". Typical dealer!!!!

For one I don't know how my bike is old news when it just came out this year! It was a 2017 1/2..And mine is an 18. Secondly those Bikes that have the " excitement around them" Like the Street glide special and the Road glide Special are the same exact bike and style just with a fairing. Wow!! So cutting edge and different. As far as the new Softail/Dyna babies I could have bought one. Was even looking at getting the new Fatboy but chose the Road King Special because I felt it was a better bike for the money. The 114 engine? Wow a entire 7 ft pounds of torque more then the 107 m8. If I really need that for my Road king they sell the kit. Was not enough to make me choose an entire different bike over it.

And as far as my 10% off discount. I actually have 3 discounts 10% off 20% off and 15% off. To be honest I have to go back and check what they all even cover because I don't remember. I know one is parts the other is for clothing and I forget the 3rd. And I never said I wanted cheap. Just don't feel like paying $3k over msrp!!

What dealership are you so I can avoid it at all costs in the future???? ... I don't think you'll EVER get an honest answer to this question :>(

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Rakthi (09-07-2017), Zakk13 (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:49 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member

Also notice, the alleged "dealer" did not share any inside information about "discounts". If he was honest, he would have confirmed that most of the dealership parts and accessories are marked up over 50% or more. So is a "10% discount" really a reward?

Zakk13 (09-06-2017)

Quick Reply: The dealer that I walked out on called today!