General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the wrong bike? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:53 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote keep it. Look in the classifieds here, craigslist, eBay etc and buy the needed parts at a fraction of the cost. Ride it, figure out what you NEED in a bike and then go shopping. Or find out that by adding those needed parts you don't need another bike. I bought a new Fatboy back in 06. Started doing a lot of touring and wanted a bagger but just had our first kid so decided it wasn't the best timing. Added RK Custom bags to the fatboy instead. Filled the need at the time plus other mods. 60k miles later I can't even think about getting rid of it. I like knowing that I built the bike to fit me.

The following users liked this post:
DukeSazer (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 10:01 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Look, starting on a smaller, lightweight bike is not a bad thing. Ride it for a year or two, keep the mods to a minimum because you will get rid of it at some point. I've taught many people how to ride and just about all of them get a different bike after they get some miles under their belt. No buyers remorse needed, its a normal process. It works the other way too, I knew a guy who didn't listen to advice and bought a Honda Blackbird as his first bike. He ended up under a pickup truck in his first month, he listens better now, lol!

DukeSazer (09-17-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 10:09 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Life is short. If you don't like it, take it back and try a Road King. You'll probably enjoy it a ton.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Flyin'Amber
Cruiser

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

I say mod it within reason to fit you and your needs and ride it. It's a great bike!

I generally ride my Limited, but now and then I get on the Sportster and after a few minutes of feeling odd riding a small bike, I remember how fun it really is to zip around on it.

Keep the Sporty and buy a bigger used bike later on, if you still want one!

Old 09-16-2017, 11:05 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

If it's not your first ****. Take that iron back and get a used low rider or something. No need to suffer and have that nagging voice in your head. Trust no salesperson

Mr-Mike (09-19-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,152 Likes on 3,798 Posts

Go back and trade it in on a left over 2016 or 2017 Low Rider, Street Bob or Wide Glide.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Don't feel bad about buying a bike that doesn't fit you.

I started riding in '69 and had several bikes before I bought my first H-D (a '75 Sportster XLH 1000).

Back "in-the-day" Sportsters were THE bike for some huge tough guys (which I wasn't then and am not now) but at 250#'s and over 6'-2", I felt (and looked) like a circus bear on a bicycle!

I only kept it a few weeks (400 miles) and sold it to a friend at work.

The following spring, I went and bought myself a real bike, an Electra-Glide!

Take your time and decide what you want, but until you do I would suggest that you don't spend any more money on accessories as that will be more money that you will not get a return on.

DukeSazer (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 12:21 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

buy the inexpensive mods ... handlebars , highway pegs , maybe a seat off ebay , craigslist or a local swapmeet . but don't spend a lot because you won't get it back .

drop by the dealer fairly often to see if anything used shows up that fits you better and , if possible , lowers your payments . and then decide if this isn't the bike for you and trade it .

Old 09-17-2017, 12:53 AM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd give it a little time but as others have said, don't drop a lot on upgrades. I WOULD do forward controls as one of the first mods though, probably followed by bars then seat. I can't imagine riding with mids on a Sportster.

I have a 2007 Sportster that I bought in March of 2012. I'm 6'2" and 225. I got the bike with 12,396 miles on it and put 24,000 miles over the next 2 years, mostly commuting. I knew I wanted something bigger so I got a 2010 Street Glide in March. When I first got the Street Glide I wondered when I'd ever want to ride the Sportster.

Today I went for a ride on it and remembered all over again how I fell in love. If you do get another one in the future whether it's a second bike or a replacement for the current one, I'd go used. I have had good luck with used bikes and parts. If you shop around and have patience you'll find parts at a fraction of new.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:07 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

didn't read the rest. swap it out for a used big twin and enjoy riding.

no offense to the "sporty" crowd but the only people I've personally met that claim they rode a Harley and didn't like it, rode a Sportster. besides... with your build, that was a sucker sell. I'd go anywhere you can get a good trade in value... but there.

Quick Reply: Bought the wrong bike? Need advice