General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
41%
44.74%
52%
14.47%
72%
19.74%
89%
21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

What % of motorcycle fatalities included a rider not wearing a helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What % of motorcycle fatalities included a rider not wearing a helmet.

In my little section of Florida, most of the motorcycle fatalities seem to be of the sportbike+high speed variety, but you get a fair number of drunken cruisers, as well. I wouldn't play football without a helmet, so I won't ride without one on, but there is no reason to force others who think differently to wear a lid. Ultimately, we're all adults and we can all make that decision for ourselves. In a way, I like being the only full-face/geared H-D rider I see around town. What better way to be a black sheep amidst black sheep?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:31 AM
atomic
Road Warrior
Default RE: What % of motorcycle fatalities included a rider not wearing a helmet.

You have to take into account more than fatalities. How many people end up with permanent brain damage when not wearing a helmet?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:39 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: atomic

You have to take into account more than fatalities. How many people end up with permanent brain damage when not wearing a helmet?
How many people end up with permanent brain damage when they ARE wearing a helmet?

Do we really give a sh*t about any of this?

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 06-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Fred00
Road Captain

Most sportbike riders wear helmet and if they dominate the fatalities statistics they are seriously going to skew the helmet statistics. You have to look at one type of motorcycle at the time if you want to see some meaningful statistics.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:41 AM
rodder37
Advanced

Do whatever seems best for you. Life is short and when it's your time then it's your time. Doesn't matter if you are asleep in bed or riding 100 mph with no helmet. Death isn't the issue with me....it's the living with injury that scares the h3ll out of me. I want to know of the survivors with severe head injury what is the percentage with/without helmets. For the record I wear a full face all of the time. I had a friend who had a 30 mph crash without a helmet and was in a coma for 3 weeks and as a result of brain swelling lost vision in one eye along with big loss of motor skills. But that is my choice and helps me enjoy the ride more.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:36 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least if cagers were required to wear helmets they couldn't be talking on their friggin' cell phones!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:30 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless this "study" was done to control variables, it is junk. Wear one, don't wear one, I don't care. Do not however, as some of my friends will do, try to convince me that the one guy that had a 100mph "get off" without a helmet and walked away unhurt is the ONE guy you want to use as your reasoning behind helmets being worthless. Helmets are not designed to save you in a 100mph crash. They may be tested to 100 mph, but unless you have your whole body in the helmet, yu are likely going to get hammered in that accident. I wear one, and I live in a non-helmet state. My choice.I am in the minority on this where I live. I've raced motocross (much lower speeds on avaerage), and I have torn up some helmets hitting the ground. A helmet may or may not save your life, but I do not buy the argument that you are as safe, or safer without one. The "poll" might as well have included anyone that eats carrots having a better chance of dying in a MC accident. Would have been just as relevant.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:35 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: CraigC

At least if cagers were required to wear helmets they couldn't be talking on their friggin' cell phones!

Oh yes they can, it is called Blue Tooth in your helmet.
I've seen many Goldwing,BMW and Harley riders using
them to answer calls while riding. Most of them think of
themselves as very important business men..LOL"

Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Talked to my insurance agent last night and he told me of all the policys he has written all the accidents in the last 6 years have been Harleys! He says we ride more than the sport bikers? He also says watch as rates are gonna rise.. As far as the helmet issue. I ridden both ways and after the crash 2 weekends ago and the puncture wounds still healing on my elbow and the scrapes on the back of my helmet where i skidded down the road. Ill wear mine pool or no pool. I was close..
Dave

Quick Reply: What % of motorcycle fatalities included a rider not wearing a helmet.