General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardboard Under Tires For Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't forget to wrap the top triple clamp in aluminum foil.
Cardboard to prevent moisture under the tires? Really? Unless the cardboard is coated, cardboard is generally hydroscopic, most rubber is not.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I get the whole bike up off the concrete by storing it like this

The following users liked this post:
Bentley16fbs (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Tavern Monk
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have an $80 bike stand from Harbor Freight I keep it on. Keeps the weight off the suspension and the tires don't get flat spots. If I'm really damn bored I can go spin the tires to lube bearings & rotate the belt. Winter sucks.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:55 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Do you need to on a motorcycle that wears tires out every year or two, probably not.

But what rots tires are UV and moisture. Sun rot is common in trailer tires that sit for long periods.

Moisture is a property of concrete. Therefore, insulating your tire from damp concrete is an excellent idea. Even seeming totally dry concrete has moisture in it.

Many garage floors appear dry, maybe even sealed. But any tire that sits for more than a month of more will draw moisture between it and the concrete.

Cardboard is okay, except when compressed it may develop a dampness under the tire. Some people use plywood. I use carpet runners under every motorcycle. This is something many vintage motorcycle owners do as these bikes often sit more than they are ridden. Carpet runners are cut to your length. I park all my bikes on carpet runners including guests bikes. When they pull in the garage it is clear to them where to park, on the empty carpet runner. It offers cheap insurance even if you do not belief it or in science behind it. The rubber backed carpet runner offers good grip on slippery concrete and the tires do not draw in any moisture from the concrete.

Again, the damage done to a tire from sitting all winter on an unheated garage cement floor will be minimal. It is not something you "have" to do. But to some, it makes sense and there is a valid reason to at least consider it.
Yep these are good points. Concrete will also draw natural oils from the rubber making them less pliable. Concrete is even after well cured, alkaline or caustic. Not a problem when using the bike, but one area of the tire sitting in the same spot in contact with the concrete for 5 months strait can possibly have a negative affect on that area of the tire.

Maybe just pushing the bike to a different section of tire on the ground every month of so would help. I use a couple pieces of 1/2" plywood.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,310 Likes on 11,157 Posts

Just move to someplace more mild, so you don't have to store your bike for the winter.

The following users liked this post:
aggiedude (12-01-2023)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

never had a set of tires last long enough for this to be an issue. if you're not riding it enough that this is an issue... you should just build a shrine under the damn thing.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 AM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Do you need to on a motorcycle that wears tires out every year or two, probably not.

But what rots tires are UV and moisture. Sun rot is common in trailer tires that sit for long periods.

Moisture is a property of concrete. Therefore, insulating your tire from damp concrete is an excellent idea. Even seeming totally dry concrete has moisture in it.

Many garage floors appear dry, maybe even sealed. But any tire that sits for more than a month of more will draw moisture between it and the concrete.

Cardboard is okay, except when compressed it may develop a dampness under the tire. Some people use plywood. I use carpet runners under every motorcycle. This is something many vintage motorcycle owners do as these bikes often sit more than they are ridden. Carpet runners are cut to your length. I park all my bikes on carpet runners including guests bikes. When they pull in the garage it is clear to them where to park, on the empty carpet runner. It offers cheap insurance even if you do not belief it or in science behind it. The rubber backed carpet runner offers good grip on slippery concrete and the tires do not draw in any moisture from the concrete.

Again, the damage done to a tire from sitting all winter on an unheated garage cement floor will be minimal. It is not something you "have" to do. But to some, it makes sense and there is a valid reason to at least consider it.
Yup, this...

Being raised with classic vehicles and m/c's (in the mid-west), I was trained that concrete will flat spot tires over periods of storage time. Placing on carpet helped alleviate that.
May be an old problem with past materials in tires, etc., but why not park the bike on an old patio rug anyway. Piece of mind that this won't be happening to me and it also reduces the cold moisture effect.

pc

Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I get the whole bike up off the concrete by storing it like this

That’s not right. Now you have to drain the gas and the oil out of it first.
BUT if you used some pulleys and a chain hoist you could store it right side up and clean the underside during the winter storage. Hell you would have time to shine it real good.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

I prefer the Venetian mud bath to add vital emoliants and nutritives back into the tire. The Venetian soil has hydrocarbons that bond to the tires and make them more grippy, less prone to flat spots and last at least 20% longer. Remove the tire and roll in exactly 127 degree F mud continuously for 30 minutes, preferably with your other biker buddies watching. That sound of mocking will be pure unadulterated jealousy.

It has to be Venetian though. Buy from a reputable seller because there are many fakes.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:06 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
I prefer the Venetian mud bath to add vital emoliants and nutritives back into the tire. The Venetian soil has hydrocarbons that bond to the tires and make them more grippy, less prone to flat spots and last at least 20% longer. Remove the tire and roll in exactly 127 degree F mud continuously for 30 minutes, preferably with your other biker buddies watching. That sound of mocking will be pure unadulterated jealousy.

It has to be Venetian though. Buy from a reputable seller because there are many fakes.
Hmmmmmm, I wonder if I rolled around in this Venetian stuff, would it help a Senior Citizen look younger and more alive, or would I just get all muddy?

Quick Reply: Cardboard Under Tires For Winter Storage