General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you were approached, would you.....?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
kfmorris
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If you were approached, would you.....?

Sure I would do it for free the 1st time.
By then they would realize I know just enough
about Harley's to be dangerous..
Probably wouldnt be a 2nd article

[IMG]local://upfiles/24659/9D24F9732423443A9356E6AA2A3B04F0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,717 Likes on 4,092 Posts

Aw... c'mon, we care about your opinions in this kinda media forum!

Not to dis printed magazines for those that enjoy them, but some years ago they all switched to mega-advertising, articles favorable to the advertisers, and enoughhonest articles to only fill a few pages.

The web and some e-zines are'the new knowledge'. Love books, but phhhttt! on most modern mags. The flaming window is now open[&:].
ORIGINAL: petemac

Why didn't I think of that reply.......

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Nope. Mainly because nobody gives a rats *** about what I think.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr.claire

The first couple times are interesting and fun, but after that you need to get paid for it.
That is about how I see it, as well.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Sled

Aw... c'mon, we care about your opinions in this kinda media forum!

Not to dis printed magazines for those that enjoy them, but some years ago they all switched to mega-advertising, articles favorable to the advertisers, and enoughhonest articles to only fill a few pages.

The web and some e-zines are'the new knowledge'. Love books, but phhhttt! on most modern mags. The flaming window is now open
Well, most of the bike rags are simply titty mags disguised as bike rags. "Honey, I swear I didn't know. I was just trying to find (substitute lie here) for my bike."

Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 PM
mjh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be a good idea. It would broaden skills and that is always a good thing. Yeah, getting paid for it would be nice, but maybe starting out and "testing the water" is a good way to go. If you are getting paid for it and you really don't like it, then you have another problem.

mjh

Old 06-15-2007, 07:49 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think as a casual time consumer, submitting articles periodically, without deadlines, would be a lot of fun. I know when I ride, I think about things and, at times, would like to share them with others. Maybe nobody would give a $****, but then the magazine does not have topublish my article(s). I don't think I would enjoy it if it was a requirement that I have the article in the editor's hand by the 15th of every month. Then I would just be writing some BS to meet the deadlines.

Tx2007, your past posts seem intelligent and eloquent. It appears you don't need the money. If you have the time...write it. You may have some fun. And fun...is what life is all about (but I don't need to tell you that). Best regards. And make sure you tell us if you are published...this advice ain't free

Old 06-15-2007, 07:59 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

No

Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: billk
Tx2007, your past posts seem intelligent and eloquent. It appears you don't need the money. If you have the time...write it. You may have some fun. And fun...is what life is all about (but I don't need to tell you that). Best regards. And make sure you tell us if you are published...this advice ain't free
Truth be told, this whole deal came about as a result of my submitting a series of letters/e-mails to the editor of a national motorcycle mag. I had read an article back when whose subject matter (and the purported facts therein) I just couldn't help but call into question. As a result of said letter(s), combined with a series of some rather informal e-mail/phone communications along the way, the notion of possible editorial contribution was placed on the table. Being in the publishing/communications/management field myself, the notion of 'being published' holds very little appeal to me. But the idea of being able to espouse opinions on a variety of subject matters does. At any rate, I was merely curiousif in factsuch a propositionwould pique any interest amongst the lot.

And I fully agree with what has been stated above in that most folks would more than likely hold little interest towards the solicitation of my opinion on pretty much anything. But then again, like that's ever stopped me from expressing my viewpoints toward same. Like my sig line expresses, agree or disagree, you'll ALWAYS know where I stand.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mixed feeling. While it would seem a nice stroke of the ego it also seems that most topics related to biking would also spark the old controvery button. I think all things considered I would reject the idea.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Nope. Mainly because nobody gives a rats *** about what I think.
Couldn't have said it better.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: If you were approached, would you.....?