General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 flat track champion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:59 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,840 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
I think H-D should dispense with this namby-pamby flat track stuff and get back into road racing ...
Namby pamby??.........Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7vV...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 12-25-2017 at 02:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cvaria (12-25-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
Flat track racing was a declining sport and not that important to HD. Then Polaris bought Indian and wanted some publicity and winning flat track racing was important to them as they hoped to resurrect the Harley-Indian wars of old, so they threw big money on it. Who knows if it will help sell Indians as the old "race on Sunday and sell on Monday", really isn't that relevant anymore. It's only been the last year or so that the numerous flat track racing posts have showed up on the Harley forums and it's usually Indian owners posting them.

If you don't think flat track racing was declining do a search on it.
All motorcycle racing is in decline. Indian did just what any real racing effort would have done. The time and effort put in to it shows. HD on the other hand, got what they put into it. Its just that simple. Next season I've got to really wonder what is going to happen with V&H now in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and no real HD racing effort being put forward, I hate to say it, but I would look for more of the same. If Indian get all of the bikes delivered to teams like they hope to, there is going to be a lot of those out racing next season!

Cheezyrider2 (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Cheezyrider2
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
Flat track racing was a declining sport and not that important to HD. Then Polaris bought Indian and wanted some publicity and winning flat track racing was important to them as they hoped to resurrect the Harley-Indian wars of old, so they threw big money on it. Who knows if it will help sell Indians as the old "race on Sunday and sell on Monday", really isn't that relevant anymore. It's only been the last year or so that the numerous flat track racing posts have showed up on the Harley forums and it's usually Indian owners posting them.

If you don't think flat track racing was declining do a search on it.
Absolutely spot on!! Fact is, it is highly unlikely that The Motor Company is going to be triggered into re-entering the sport of flat tracking by Polaris Industries. They, Polaris will have to step up their game a longggg ways before this will happen and, quiet frankly - there are many many other things they need to face and deal with (lack of dealer network, POOR PAINT , very bad image because of closing Vic line to name a couple) long before HD has any concern..
I also totally agree with your comment about "usually Indian owners posting them" too.. Fact is, something very obvious is a dead give away when this happens. Anytime a person reads anything pertaining to ""Indian Motorcycles"" taking action to do anything would be best served by remembering that there is no such thing as Indian Motorcycle Inc. - that company went under in 53 and all that is left is a name.. Indian repops are now to Polaris what a Heritage is to Harley Davidson,, a model off a production line at either Polaris or HD..

Old 12-27-2017, 07:27 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

I really couldnt give a crap about flat track racing. Just not my thing. Indian has been great for us. Theyre direct competition to hd. If it werent for them and victory hd wouldnt be motivated to build a better bike. Im going to be on the market very soon for a new scoot and i can assure you ill be test riding a gl1800 and an indian. Hd will have to be the better bike (which i believe they will be) for me to buy another.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 AM
ForeverWill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I really couldnt give a crap about flat track racing. Just not my thing. Indian has been great for us. Theyre direct competition to hd. If it werent for them and victory hd wouldnt be motivated to build a better bike. Im going to be on the market very soon for a new scoot and i can assure you ill be test riding a gl1800 and an indian. Hd will have to be the better bike (which i believe they will be) for me to buy another.
fair enough. competition is the motor

Tony P (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

I know it wont happen but i think a bastard child with and indian drive, frame, and electronics with harley tins would be ideal. Indians ride command is amazing. It makes boom look like something from the early 2000s.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I felt the same way about flat track, until I went with my friends to Williams Grove when the flat track circuit was in town. It was awesome and I look forward to going to more flat track races.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,029 Likes on 871 Posts

If you think HD is going to give up on flat track, think again. I have a family member, who was one of the top 5 flat trackers of all time, anyone would know the name if I posted it, told me a couple of month's ago that HD has a new flat track engine in the works.

hd4evr2008 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett
If you think HD is going to give up on flat track, think again. I have a family member, who was one of the top 5 flat trackers of all time, anyone would know the name if I posted it, told me a couple of month's ago that HD has a new flat track engine in the works.
The new engine is the current XG750A (StreetRod) with a new dual cam cylinder head. It was being developed by V&H but with the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy who knows when it may appear now. It was suppose to be ready for testing in June of '18, so it would be too late for the '18 Flat track season as that's over half way through the season.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,029 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The new engine is the current XG750A (StreetRod) with a new dual cam cylinder head. It was being developed by V&H but with the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy who knows when it may appear now. It was suppose to be ready for testing in June of '18, so it would be too late for the '18 Flat track season as that's over half way through the season.
I think I'll go with what he told me.

Quick Reply: 2018 flat track champion?