General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing Sales Plan

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:20 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

The training is a great way of getting people in the door. The dealership I frequent that does the training always has full sessions. No idea how many have bought a bike afterwards but I know a few have.

Originally Posted by Crimson
I think price is more of their problem than training. The training is a good idea but if these people walk into the dealership and the bikes cost the same as their SUV.. well.. most younger folks aren't going to buy when a sport bike is going to cost them much less.
Then they get a price to insure that sportbike and they walk out. It's been a few years, but a friend of mine went bike shopping with his 18 or 19 yr old son. Every sport bike he inquired about the insurance quote was for $5,000 just for liability. And he wasn't looking at anything like a Hayabusa. He ended up on a Triumph as that was the only bike with "reasonable" insurance for a sport bike. In summary, they are all expensive to someone young, it may just vary on who they are paying.

Also keep in mind the courses are not limited to teenagers. I've seen quite a few in their 20's, 30's, and older taking the training as well. They are likely past the point of outrageous insurance costs so they could end up buying a sport bike as stated, but I doubt many would seek out a training course at the Harley Dealer if they were not at least interested in a Harley

Old 12-28-2017, 11:29 AM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

The Motorcycle Industry Council says the median age of motorcycle owners increased from 32 to 47 since 1990. About 46 percent of riders are over 50; only about 10 percent are 30-34.
I am certainly one of the 46%. I had to go to a trike due to no longer feeling safe on that 900# behemoth.
It certainly hurts to be forced to give up what you love, lost my CDL, pilots license and the ability to stay upright on two wheels. Sux to get old.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:48 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
. . . pilots license. . .
You never give that up! Maybe your medical, but that certificate is yours! Fly with a CFI from time to time!

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (01-02-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 01:28 PM
johnv50
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In New York state the completion of an MSF course is an automatic Motorcycle endorsement on your license, not sure if the Harley course is the same.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:11 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

A fews years back, H-D started offering their course to military types (active and former) for free. Nowadays, sadly, I think it's $100. Anyway, being an ex military type, I decided to take them up on their free course even though I've had a MC license since 1968. I figured I might learn something. And I did. Thankfully, I passed easily and avoided the humiliation of failure. I did ask the instructor how often folks with licenses fail the course. He said that it was not at all uncommon and that quite a few of the fat old 'badass' types do poorly. I'm old, but not fat and not a 'badass' so I guess that's what saved me. :-)

Old 12-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,864 Likes on 1,453 Posts

Originally Posted by johnv50
In New York state the completion of an MSF course is an automatic Motorcycle endorsement on your license, not sure if the Harley course is the same.
While I am a rabid fan of both the beginer & advanced MSF course, I am NOT of the mindset that you should get your “M” endorsement after completing the beginer course. Gal pal did and no way was she ready for solo on the road.

I do think HD rider training is a great idea for dealers to build their base & HD’s brand.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:00 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah,over the years I have met people who completed the basic course and had an over the top confidence in their ability.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
I think price is more of their problem than training.
You got that right!

Price is what's keeping younger folks away from Harleys. They see articles about CVO bikes in magazines priced 45 large and say no way.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Not sure if it will help or not. But I will say my wife got her license through the HD dealer course and they really did do a great job teaching the skills needed.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:35 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,689 Likes on 2,680 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
Gal pal did and no way was she ready for solo on the road.
Then she shouldn't have been passed by the instructor. It's not like a driver's license were you can drive with a licensed driver to be corrected and gradually learn. You either know enough to handle the motorcycle safely and gain experience, or you don't.

Quick Reply: Increasing Sales Plan