General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:11 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,308 Posts

It may be regional. Here in the Pacific Northwest, on a sunny day millennials have a choice.
Some don spandex in multicolored and logo'd race suits and pedal to work.
Some don leather and jump on Harley's or Ducati's and ride to work the long way.
I'd like to see a breakdown of Harley's sales by regions, because I doubt very much that sales are down in the Northwest. I base this on product turn, bikes with sold signs on them, and the shear number of mid-30 riders in this area. True, the bike of choice is the Street Glide, followed by the Road King, then Ultra, then the Softtails. That said, Sportster sales also seem really strong.
Perhaps it is more regional than we discuss here. Also, used touring bikes hardly last a week in the showroom. It does not seem to be slowing sales of new bikes and most used were turned in against a new M8.

Sometimes I think we have too much time to think about things, so the slightest suggestion triggers all those fears we have been thinking about for years. Yes, I realize than numbers of new units is down and I think some of the new designs suck big time, but it seems I might be in a minority, a vocal minority, but irrelevant to a millennial nevertheless.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 05-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:54 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,021 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
lol... 12 month no interest no payments...
We laugh but it's totally possible to finance t shirts through the MoCo. Provided you're already financing a bike, they will tell you how much value is left in your loan AFTER the cost of the bike. For necessities such as t-shirts, doo rags and chain wallets of course!

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
It may be regional. Here in the Pacific Northwest, on a sunny day millennials have a choice.
Some don leather and jump on Harley's or Ducati's and ride to work the long way.
I'd like to see a breakdown of Harley's sales by regions, because I doubt very much that sales are down in the Northwest. I base this on product turn, bikes with sold signs on them, and the shear number of mid-30 riders in this area. True, the bike of choice is the Street Glide, followed by the Road King, then Ultra, then the Softtails. That said, Sportster sales also seem really strong.
Perhaps it is more regional than we discuss here. Also, used touring bikes hardly last a week in the showroom. It does not seem to be slowing sales of new bikes and most used were turned in against a new M8.

Sometimes I think we have too much time to think about thinks, so the slightest suggestion triggers all those fears we have been thinking about for years. Yes, I realize than numbers of new units is down and I think some of the new designs suck big time, but it seems I might be in a minority, a vocal minority, but irrelevant to a millennial nevertheless.
I've never thought of it that way. It could absolutely be a regional thing. I was at Riders HD in Birmingham, AL a few weeks after the big release last year and I couldn't test ride anything with a M8 because they we're all sold or pending pickup. Riders is a large, high volume dealer.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-06-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:07 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
I've never thought of it that way. It could absolutely be a regional thing. I was at Riders HD in Birmingham, AL a few weeks after the big release last year and I couldn't test ride anything with a M8 because they we're all sold or pending pickup. Riders is a large, high volume dealer.
Perhaps in the Northern Tier, the heartland, from Montana through Maine where winter snows, alternate seasonal vehicles (ie Snowmobiles, or fishing boats), tied in with the closing of factories makes owning a motorcycle for a millennial less attractive.

Added: also a gentrification. For example, I am not as tough as my grandparents generation. Few millennials I know are as hearty weather wise as my generation. Like someone said earlier in another thread, our generation leaves in the rain, while this generation may get caught in the rain. Not that they are not capable, just that their comfort zone is very different than mine.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 05-04-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:39 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds

Sometimes I think we have too much time to think about things, so the slightest suggestion triggers all those fears we have been thinking about for years. Yes, I realize than numbers of new units is down and I think some of the new designs suck big time, but it seems I might be in a minority, a vocal minority, but irrelevant to a millennial nevertheless.

It would be interesting to see what types of bikes are bought, generally, per area of the country.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,333 Likes on 5,426 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72

4. HD keeps discontinuing models Harley riders like to buy.

You may think that...but the truth is they discontinue models that are not making money...period...they did not get this far by not being able to count.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,024 Likes on 496 Posts

HD needs to cleave it's marketing program into three distinct groups:

Cheap
Fast
Old

"Cheap" is sub $7K bikes with a bit of style and performance, but most of all, affordability. Take all that vaunted design expertise and make simple, reliable and quality bike at a price point affordable by folks making less than, say, $75K.

"Fast" is a performance bike or two, and that means dumping the V-Twin for a modern mill and frame. Take it racing, or at least make an attempt. Offer "non-Transformer" styling and move away from the insect/bug look.

"Old" is the legacy stuff they have right now. Pare it down a bit and market it for what it is - a discretionary luxury item.

There, done.

Oh, and bring back the V Rod!

The following users liked this post:
rhino1250 (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:55 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
We laugh but it's totally possible to finance t shirts through the MoCo. Provided you're already financing a bike, they will tell you how much value is left in your loan AFTER the cost of the bike. For necessities such as t-shirts, doo rags and chain wallets of course!
Well thankfully that will never be me..!

Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 PM
superman70
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because just like everything else. Men have left the kids at home so that they could do their thing. The kids have never ridden so they have less interest in it. My kids have been on bikes since before they could walk. They both love HD. They grew up traveling the country on 2 and 3 wheels. Numbers of hunters and fishers are dropping also for the same reason. Share our passion with someone new.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I think it’s dangerous to make too many generalizations about the younger generation. I know quite a few who want Harleys. I know my old Harley draws a lot of interest from the youngsters, and I don’t think they’re just being sarcastic. Unfortunately the price of admission is pretty steep for many 20 somethings if we’re talking new Harley’s. You know what? It was when I was in my 20’s, too.
Way easier today than when I was in my 20s. Open cycle trader, spend 4K on a good used Sporty, and ride it till the wheels fall off. Best advice I can give to someone looking to get on a bike. There's plenty of deals to be had. It's better on a Hog.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:06 PM
wheelchair triker
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think the decline in Harley Davidson is the decline in their customer service. Every time I go into the dealer with a question about troubleshooting a problem they refuse to be any help. Today for example I went in with a few questions and the service managers answers to my questions were "bring it in and open a service ticket." I asked for a copy of a schematic and he said he would not get me one. I asked if there were any important systems on a particular circuit because he should know that and he replied, "well maybe you should know too". Those interactions make me question why I keep mine. But I do love my trike, the corporation behind it not so much.

The following users liked this post:
Iron lHorse (05-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?