Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Anything worth doing... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1214031-anything-worth-doing.html)

corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com 01-11-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by guitarfish (Post 16988188)
Well now I don't feel so bad after reading these responses. I was really thinking I need to back away from the bike and put the tools down.

Happens to the best of us. It's the ones that never get it right that I not only want to tell them to put the tools down. I want to tell them to put the tools in the tool box and then weld it shut.

Cygnusx51 01-11-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain (Post 16988619)
I want to tell them to put the tools in the tool box and then weld it shut.

If they can’t turn the wrench properly, I’d love to see how the weld would turn out lol.

maverick31210 01-11-2018 06:45 PM

Put the motor back together after doing some gaskets to find out that the parts guy gave me o-rings for the head dowels that were too thick.

Bolted up and turned the motor without the plug wires plugged in to make sure all's gravy before firing on it and felt air hitting the side of my leg. The chamber didn't seal. I was outside, it was dark already. I was bummed. Got drunk and fell asleep.

Woke up the next morning and fixed it. I can pull the tank and head off in like 30 minutes now so it helped me get faster if anything.

It used to bum me out when I ****ed shit up whether it was my fault or not but as I do more and get older, I realize it's just part of wrenching. If things worked out perfectly all the time and nothing ever got bumble****ed, everyone would be doing all of their own work. Break, fix, break again, fix again...repeat.

not a sock 01-11-2018 07:27 PM

When I got the '17 FLTRXS, I ordered the Jaybrake Forwards the first thing.
On the Dennis Kirk site they had two models listed that would fit the M8, so I ordered the set like I put on my '16 FLHXS.

The forwards didn't exactly fit, so I modified them so they would fit.
I found out later that a new model was available for the M8 that had been changed slightly, hence the two numbers.

To be fair to DK, they did offer to swap with me, but I didn't want to have to change them and install another set.

And they could have marked the set I ordered for '14-'16 Touring only.......:icon_naughty:

GregGillette 01-11-2018 07:48 PM

I get more pissed following up someone elses shoddy work. As for multi trip repairs, plumbing has got my number. I can never seem to get the right fittings the first time. I hate losing a fight to a repair so I just keep at it.

ScottinAZ 01-11-2018 09:18 PM

Roasted my stator, cheaped out and got a used one that lasted for a month (better than not riding I guess). Got to do it all over again with a new unit the second time.

NORTY FLATZ 01-11-2018 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51 (Post 16989143)
If they can’t turn the wrench properly, I’d love to see how the weld would turn out lol.

Probably like the welds used by Altrider's engine guard bars...