Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What You Didn't Know About Helmet Laws (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1217786-what-you-didnt-know-about-helmet-laws.html)

jbfb 02-09-2018 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ShovelEd (Post 17074431)

It does in fact seem like they got the idea from the Shark. But it's definitely a few years old.
It was probably replaced by the Pilot helmet they had out last year. Which I think now is also gone, lol. Not sure tho.

big- mike 02-10-2018 09:52 AM

Michigan is a choice state most of the time I choose not to unless I go on the big road then allways. Keeps from losing the dew rag. Lol

hellonewman 02-10-2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave (Post 17076543)
So how does wearing a helmet or not wearing one make one dress like a pirate or like a in a gay pride parade? Just curious. I would really like to know your answer.

I really do not look much different at all when I choose not to wear a helmet, or wear my half helmet or my full face helmet. Everything else I wear is the same.

None of my friends have a Pirate look, most never where HD clothing either.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...227752060e.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5d057fce40.jpg

If you're not wearing a helmet it can be hard for some to distinguish the different lifestyle choices one has made.

Bonnie Storm 02-10-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by hellonewman (Post 17077748)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5d057fce40.jpg

If you're not wearing a helmet it can be hard for some to distinguish the different lifestyle choices one has made.

If you look to the rear of the front tire, you will see a helmet attached to the engine guard. The Doo Rag is to help keep the helmet liner clean. A Doo Rag can be tossed in the washer as many times as one needs, and not so much a helmet liner. While it will still need to be cleaned, it is only on occasion, like maybe once or twice a year. Me, I use a Doo Rag for both keeping the helmet liner clean, but also to help keep my hair in place. The benefit to that is I don't have to show off my bad case of helmet hair. The helmet will press your hair down (if you have any) with the exception of the sides, hence the expression "helmet hair." And no, I won't take off the doo rag unless I'm done riding for the day.

So I'm thinking you would rather ride with a stinky helmet than a clean one. Yep, smell ya later! And later and later! That said I'm thinking you probably don't take a bath either since being clean does not fit your lifestyle.

For the topic of this thread:
I have 5 helmets, one of which is a convertible full face. I wear a helmet regardless of the laws of the states I ride through or in. All are real DOT certified helmets, not those ultra thin small dot helmets that couldn't hold up to being dropped let alone a crash. The one thing I don't agree on is the shelf life of the helmet. Who decides this? All of my helmets are better than 10 years old, and all in good to excellent condition as in never have been dropped or in a crash. So no cracks anywhere. I'll be damned if I'm just going to toss them just because someone thinks i should. "Oh no, it's past it's expiration date. it needs to be replaced!" type of BS. If your not going to buy me a new one, shut your pie hole.

hellonewman 02-10-2018 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by HummingBird Nut (Post 17077914)
If you look to the rear of the front tire, you will see a helmet attached to the engine guard. The Doo Rag is to help keep the helmet liner clean. A Doo Rag can be tossed in the washer as many times as one needs, and not so much a helmet liner. While it will still need to be cleaned, it is only on occasion, like maybe once or twice a year. Me, I use a Doo Rag for both keeping the helmet liner clean, but also to help keep my hair in place. The benefit to that is I don't have to show off my bad case of helmet hair. The helmet will press your hair down (if you have any) with the exception of the sides, hence the expression "helmet hair." And no, I won't take off the doo rag unless I'm done riding for the day.

So I'm thinking you would rather ride with a stinky helmet than a clean one. Yep, smell ya later! And later and later! That said I'm thinking you probably don't take a bath either since being clean does not fit your lifestyle.

I don't make fun of your life revolving around humming birds so you can't make fun of my smelly head.

Bonnie Storm 02-10-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by hellonewman (Post 17077958)
I don't make fun of your life revolving around humming birds so you can't make fun of my smelly head.

Okay, that's funny, no matter how you look at it! LMAO!

SpockJenkins 02-12-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Teaser and deck have been edited in order to do away with miscommunication. Well, you got me there, aeces.

It's spelled aces. Normally not a big deal, but an "editor" should probably notice that.

smittyp83 02-12-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by brudford (Post 17072999)
Never really pay any attention to helmet laws because I have always worn a full faced helmet since working in the ER as an RN for 26 years . If someone wants to dress in their pirate uniform like their attending a gay pride parade then go ahead . If you do not like your States helmet laws then get politcally active or move to a different State so you can not wear a helmet and can have the pirate look like all your friends .

I was a medic in the USAF and while working in the hospital, a young Airman was brought in after a motorcycle accident. He ended up having the brain capacity of a toddler and would need assistance for the rest of his life.

He was wearing a helmet.

Andy02 02-12-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by smittyp83 (Post 17084639)
I was a medic in the USAF and while working in the hospital, a young Airman was brought in after a motorcycle accident. He ended up having the brain capacity of a toddler and would need assistance for the rest of his life.

He was wearing a helmet.

So... he’s in the Army now?

All kidding aside, wearing a helmet should be a personal choice. I have ridden in States that do not have a helmet law and always chosen to wear one. Sometimes a helmet means the difference between life or death or the Army.

deadman77 02-12-2018 05:12 PM

Illinois does something right. At least we have a choice. Must have something to do with which Governor is in jail.
I choose to wear a helmet. JMHO