General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Wants to Get Cool with Millennials

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
The Street should excite those millennials.
Yep, that way they are IN the game rather than playing one.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:06 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

My son is 29 he bought a new Slim in 2016 and loves it. He knows a lot of guys his age and close friends to, not one of them pay any attention to his bike or any bike. They do love there video games and play on there phones constantly. If they are not on some kind of electric device then they are talking about one.
I don't even know what the hell they are talking about. Kind of like the TV show Big Bang. My son has me his mom and some of my friends to ride with, the youngest in my group is mid 40s and up.
As for HD they need to start with good quality control now. Not one young guy today will look at a bike and worry about sumping, and oil transfer.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 290 Posts

Need the mindset that motorcycles are more viable than bicycles or even Vespas & skate boards.
Yes, cell phone/ computer connectivity probably would helpful too.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

One thing is always true. Things never stay the same.

If HD dies with this generation it'll be sad, but so be it. Change has always been the way of the world.

Embrace it, or hate it, but it'll always be there.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (04-16-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Based on the thread title, I thought they were introducing training wheels.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Halfcawkt
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay guys, I have some rare insight into the problem. I ride with millinials.

Most millinials don’t even know they could love Harley. You also have to issue with how we have raised them. Both parenting and society have made a mark on them most don’t think about.

Helicopter parenting didn’t let them do things like climb trees. Other “high risk activity” was outlawed before they were even born. (Like rides in a truck bed or fighting). They were also raised the be sensitive and in touch with their feelings.

We also raised them to be on top of math, science, and technology. They are always on the lookout for cutting edge tech and performance above all else as a result.

We raised the risk taking, danger loving, red blooded Americanisim out of most of them. So most of them would not dream of doing something preceived as so potentially dangerous as to ride ANY motorcycle!

Now let’s talk about the small percentage of potential buyers left...

The ones not raised to enjoy “real biker culture” are looking for “performance”. They look at the numbers, compare bikes, and Harley “sucks”. They also hear others of their peers say how slow Harley is, and how cruisers “plow” in the corners. Harley is an “old man’s bike”. Harley hasn’t come out with any inovations that haven’t been out on other bikes for decades. Harley is “outdated”.

the numbers and their peers couldn’t possibly be wrong! All these YouTube vids showing young riders hooting and hollering as their sport bike rockets faster and faster at speeds faster than 140 mph while talking about how bad “cruisers suck” couldn’t possibly be misguided or uninformed...

What they see of Harley riders makes all of this worse. Middle aged+ men putting along at a snail’s pace with the ever present perpetual scowl has a bad impact. They see him as a “bully” who just goes around intimidating people. It’s just wrong in their eyes! They don’t want to be lumped in with that type. His bike doesn’t give him enough sense of joy to be worth their time... they also heard that bikers are racist, bar brawling, woman beaters, that’s what their single mothers led them to believe...

Harley did themselves no favors with the street line up! Once on it you learn that it is every negative of Harley without any of the fun. They don’t make torque worth a damn, my dyna is about as nimble, they don’t rev high enough making them slow, and the ride position doesn’t give the comfort of a Harley. If any of the target demographic had riden this bike they would walk out without a word and buy a jap bike way more impressive for way less money! The reviews by their age group all agree with my test ride impressions.

Now, how does Harley fix this? Aside from killing the street in its current form, I don’t know. The millinials I have allowed to ride my dyna love it. Most plan to buy a Softail low rider in the near future! But it only happened because I rode with them and showed them my bike can keep up with them in the turns and can be loads of fun. Their bike can dust me on a straight away with wide open throttle, but I am riding for hours after they have had enough and headed home. Once I showed them these things, they noticed how people, even women, would approach to talk about my bike sitting next to theirs’. No one cared about their transformer looking bike. Mine got attention from more people than the nerdy young guy who looked at the numbers. After they saw all of this, I insisted they hop on it while I followed on theirs. They finally got it! One said,” I hate you for letting me ride your bike! I had to learn you don’t ride while watching a stopwatch. I hate your bike gives me a feeling I can’t get from mine without going more than twice as fast.”

These kids can learn to love Harley. They just don’t know it. I don’t know how to show them any way other than the way I did it. The problem is, most guys won’t show a young guy the way that I will. Without that type of experience, they will never see that it doesn’t have to be an old man’s bike. The price tag doesn’t help, especially when most are paying for children.

I don’t know how the MC gets through to these kids. But this is the real problem. I know they have a warped perception. They don’t know that bikers are just regular guys. They don’t know you don’t have to kick off your mid life crisis to enjoy what Harley offers. They don’t know that Harley offers a bike you can have a little less fun on but do it for ten hours strait compared to three hours tops on a sport bike. They do know they can buy two jap bikes and still not pay for a Harley!

Last edited by Halfcawkt; 04-13-2018 at 10:32 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Halfcawkt:
GPHDXLC (04-14-2018), jlip06 (04-15-2018), rauchman (04-16-2018), TenMidgets (04-18-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:27 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,103 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwebber18
Which is funny as I am 33 and watching my beloved Braves currently beating his beloved Cubs on my computer at work and am a frequent MLB app user. I know I'm not the typical millennial as I like loud fast cars, bikes, cigars and stuff like that as well as video games, netflix and all sorts of electronic doodads. Amazingly enough so does my wife, but what I don't like is the HD culture as has been discussed many times. I have one of their bikes but I don't go to their events or wear all the stuff with the vests and patches or anything like that. No offense to anyone who is more bought in to the lifestyle but it's just not for me and obviously not for many people my age. As many have said they are going to have to move away from that culture to attract a wider base of potential customers. I'm a bit of an outlier as I can separate the lifestyle/culture from the bikes themselves but it seems most younger people can not and that's what is hurting.
Gotta tell ya young man. There are many of us OLD timers here that don't go in for the so called "life style" of hanging around dealers and group rides, or all the other stuff any more than you. Many of us actually started riding back when we really were "individuals".

The following 6 users liked this post by perki48:
4 inch pistons (04-14-2018), BikerPepe` (04-14-2018), GPHDXLC (04-14-2018), TenMidgets (04-18-2018), Torky_SOB (04-16-2018), uncle kebo (04-15-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:13 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,741 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by PPearl
**shrugs**

They got me and most of my friends.

Gen Z...now those are a tide pod eating youtube view wh*res. Worry about getting them on bikes.
Fortunately my gen Z kids don't have an appetite for Tide Pods, I see it as natural selection in action for the ones that do. And all 4 of my kids are into dirt bikes, the older 2 cant ride on the back of my bike enough. We're all guilty of generalizing and Im a Gen X'er that loves fast loud cars, guns and Harleys but I dont like the Harley culture and don't want any part of it. I do however want the new Road King Special sitting on the showroom floor at my local dealer.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:21 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwebber18
Which is funny as I am 33 and watching my beloved Braves currently beating his beloved Cubs on my computer at work and am a frequent MLB app user. I know I'm not the typical millennial as I like loud fast cars, bikes, cigars and stuff like that as well as video games, netflix and all sorts of electronic doodads. Amazingly enough so does my wife, but what I don't like is the HD culture as has been discussed many times. I have one of their bikes but I don't go to their events or wear all the stuff with the vests and patches or anything like that. No offense to anyone who is more bought in to the lifestyle but it's just not for me and obviously not for many people my age. As many have said they are going to have to move away from that culture to attract a wider base of potential customers. I'm a bit of an outlier as I can separate the lifestyle/culture from the bikes themselves but it seems most younger people can not and that's what is hurting.
I've got 22 years on you. But I'm basically in agreement with you. I don't really go for the traditional "costume" either. Screw their "lifestyle". I told my wife not to bother buying me any more shirts, hats, jackets, etc. with the MoCo name on it. I wear Hawaiian shirts and Ariat cowboy boots when I ride. At my age I'm not in this to run with the crowd or participate in a fashion show with a bunch of people wearing doo rags and vests that have a thousand patches, pins and fat guy chains on them.
Lifestyle is what me and my hard work make it, not what HD tries to dictate and sell to unsuspecting dupes. I went down that road for a time. Now I've outgrown it and just do what I do, damn the opinion of everyone else.
I'll never ride anything but a Harley in my life. But I've shed all the extra BS that came with that.

Last edited by 2goldens; 04-14-2018 at 06:34 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 2goldens:
Jackpot Johnnie (04-14-2018), perki48 (04-14-2018), rauchman (04-16-2018), rideon (04-14-2018), TenMidgets (04-18-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:01 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

You old ****ers sure do bitch a lot about the youngsters. You draft dodging LSD dropping hippies were the ones who raised them. Stop your crying and ride while you still can and stop bitching. You'll have plenty of time for that when you trade in your Harley for a mobility chair

The following 3 users liked this post by rhino1250:
71on72 (04-15-2018), Mattbastard (04-17-2018), Taito (04-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Wants to Get Cool with Millennials