General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Wants to Get Cool with Millennials

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,599 Likes on 9,813 Posts

Millenials aint got no munnie...

Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,241 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
The Street should excite those millennials.
Why? It's an uncomfortable bike that is not up to performance levels from bikes that cost less to buy from Japan. It has no Harleyness about it. It's a bike, that for me, has zero desirability while I see something like a Suzy SV650 and think it would be fun.

As to the OP's post, I do believe HD is not quite hitting the mark of new models that are desirable to the mill's. Even for me, I don't see any new models as desirable, or rather models that I would sell my bike for to buy. There are zero performance models, just the continual bazillion flavors of basically the same bike from 304 different frames. No model offers great suspension, traction control, electronic suspension.....nothing tech. As someone has mentioned, the "stereotype" of the HD rider is not something that is in the wheelhouse of the social culture of the younger crowd.

Buell could have the "something" to bring in the younger crowd, but I really don't see any current offerings for a 20something to say "yeah, I want that".

Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,839 Likes on 1,448 Posts

In following this thread, I'm thinking the future for HD is do consolidate traditional lines and come up with competitive redesigns and new designs, including electric.

After all, in general, we are not riding around 1919 styled bikes. Hell my '16 FLHTK has the traditional V-Twin, but it's bat-winged styling is very "futuristic" compared to a 1939-styled bike.

Nothing stays the same forever.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Halfcawkt
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I know my post on page two was quite long winded, but I forgot a very important point.

it doesn’t help when the diehard Harley crowd throws hate the way of the MC for innovating or trying something new. Honda guys who ride the shadow don’t talk smack on Honda for making the gold wing. Triumph guys who ride the street triple don’t hate on triumph for the truxton.

What im saying is, if you are a Harley diehard, as long as Harley makes a bike for you, why hate on them for the electric or anything else they try to drum up sales? So long as they have you covered, be happy. That “non Harley” could get someone’s feet wet who may end up a diehard like you one day, but only if they get introduced to the MC, the right way, on their own terms. I will probably always be a Softail guy, but if Harley were to come out with an adventure bike, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Harley may be the best candidate to introduce a trail bike... It would just mean more Harley riders, and more possible sales in the future for bikes I do like.

The younger crowd hears all of this backlash over something new and feels like it validates their negative impression of Harley. Just food for thought, guys. Just because Harley does something you don’t like, doesn’t mean YOU have to buy it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Halfcawkt:
perki48 (04-16-2018), rauchman (04-16-2018), TenMidgets (04-18-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 04:10 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
I can tell you that they do. As I've posted pretty regularly in these types of threads... I'm 24 and I ride a road glide, before that a road king. My best riding buddy is 22 and rides a road glide too, before that a street glide. But of course, no matter how many times I post this, everybody still generalizes people my age. I guess everybody was perfect and everybody got along back when you guys were all growing up...nobody had different interests or outlooks on life. Fascinating.
Great to hear! But, your a minority. This thread is about the remaining ones.
So, go out and get some more people your age to ride HD. Or hell, anything.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dwebber18
When I started hearing a year or so ago I really didn't believe it. I'm 33 and went to take my drivers test and get my license while sick because it was my 16th birthday and that's what you did. Many of my friends are my age or a few years younger and they all drive. Until I met one guy that started at my company a year ago. He is 21, graduated college at 18 and started making more money that he knew what to do with it. When he was interviewing with my company he missed his first interview because he got a flat tire and didn't know what to do so he called the police. Then after he got the job he missed like his second day at work because he got t-boned and was in the hospital with a pretty bad concussion. He's all recovered but still has a totaled car so he started using Uber since he was too young to rent a car. He now likes taking Uber everywhere so he can drink as much as he wants and he spends $1600 a month on taking Uber around town and back and forth to work. Even though he isn't really a millennial he is what I base my generational thoughts on instead of my group of friends. I think a lot of the hands on work and experience comes from a lack of money that many kids just don't have now. My parents had enough money to pay someone to fix anything, my wife's parents did not. Once I got to college and had to start paying for my own vehicle maintenance and stuff like that my then girlfriend's dad taught me to do some basic stuff and instill enough confidence to at least try to fix something on my own. I have plenty of down time that I can use saving money doing a repair or maintenance on something especially with the rates shops charge now.
Friend of my wife that works with her is similar. The has no money and uses Uber for everything. If you ask her to get her car fixed (it has problems and needs fixed, so it sits in the yard) she says she does not have the money. So you explain to her all the money into Uber is killing your savings. No sense...

Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,103 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Great to hear! But, your a minority. This thread is about the remaining ones.
So, go out and get some more people your age to ride HD. Or hell, anything.
I gotta ask, what age were YOU when you bought your first Haley?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:10 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i got a 17 year old kid, sorry these kids have 0 interest in motorcycles today no matter what brand they are. Motorcycles are for the old guys like us.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
I gotta ask, what age were YOU when you bought your first Haley?
Hahaha... 28. Was married for a couple years. Had a convertible for the summer months and a truck for winter. Got rid of the convertible for a bike.

Forgot. What about YOU?

Last edited by DanHappy; 04-16-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 PM
SupremeHD
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish younger people were into HD. Im not super young 28 but only crowd is scarce.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Wants to Get Cool with Millennials