General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Sales Go From Bad To Worse

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:33 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Expensive priced bikes with cheap factory parts. If the japanese market ever makes a good looking cruiser, id be trading up (and have cash leftover in my pocket). Harleys (pre m8) still look so badass. The new ones....eh. style points lost there.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:42 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Lol, I'm on my 5th HD. Best one so far. Very happy with M8 and styling. If you dont like it, go buy an Indian or a Yamaha. Not worried about Harley's future. I'm not a stock holder. Want a cheap Harley, buy a cheap low mile garage queen.

The following 2 users liked this post by big papa AZ:
ole_phart (05-05-2018), wldbill (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

I suppose the fact that, in much of the country, spring never happened this year, had absolutely no effect on 1st quarter sales.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:09 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I suppose the fact that, in much of the country, spring never happened this year, had absolutely no effect on 1st quarter sales.
This was the worst I can remember,If it's not cold it's raining.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:10 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

The "Fool" keeps spouting about Indian's double digit growth, but the numbers are meaningless without quantity. If I sell 5 this year and 8 next year, I can crow about 60% increase over last year.
For a publicly traded company, Polaris doesn't like to make certain information easy to find.
Why so reluctant to tell us how many bikes they sell? And I believe they include other vehicles (Slingshot, etc) in their m/c sales figures.

HD's quarterly financial release was one of the better ones in recent years. The way the Fool spun things, makes it sound like HD is in a severe tail spin, which is exactly what they want to convey as they own shares in Polaris.

If you want data without the editorial crapola:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300635007.html

Last edited by Brewmany; 05-04-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:23 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
The Fool is only quoting the actual numbers from the MoCo's Quarterly Report.

Rough patch?

I think this makes sense considering the are closing a plant and have pretty much stated they are reducing production and overhead in an effort to be more profitable per unit.

Went to the parts counter the other day to get an oil filter (and a hat - woot!). I asked how it was going and the parts guy said "Busy!" He elaborated and said it had been the busiest Spring they have had. Also saw quite a few bikes fresh off the truck out back. I didn't get the feeling they were hurting one bit. And at $30 for a hat, why would they be?

I will add that the price increases have changed the buying habits of at least 1 person I know. My neighbor, a retired Moco employee, buys a new bike every year. He's had SGSs up until now. This year he got the standard SG and added the Boom Audio, ABS, and keyless. He said he just couldn't justify spending so much on the new SGS.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-04-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:28 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Here it is right there in the article. This right here is what will kill Harley-Davidson -

"Harley-Davidson continues to protect its premium image at all costs, and even this quarter, as sales were falling, it was able to report higher revenues (up almost 3%) because it isn't discounting its bikes like its rivals, but instead has introduced pricey new bikes equipped with its powerful Milwaukee-Eight engine. It's rising prices, not higher sales that are sustaining Harley-Davidson at the moment...."

A few weeks ago my local dealer took delivery of some black and blue fat *** whale of a motorcycle (don't know the letter designation) and had it priced at $41,999!!! Yesterday I see they dropped the price to $37,999. When you can slash a price four grand just like that you're setting your prices WAY too high just hoping a sucker will walk through the door. This one time none did.

Harley doesn't have a clue what most riders want. What they do know is that in order to survive they need to make sure that after the sale they keep the customer tethered to the mother ship. They have so damn many models and every slightest change gets a different name and designation. My theory is that they are determined to manufacture every conceivable variation and make them as complicated as possible so as to "build a wall" around the customer and prevent him/her from being able to stray towards independent shops for customization. So far it has worked. But sale are dropping because people are getting bored with all the shenanigans.
Tell us where. I know half a dozen folks who will buy an Anniversery CVO Limited today fo $38K Hell I am pretty sure my dealer would buy / trade for it.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,306 Posts

The "Fool", unable to write positive things about Polaris, chooses to misinterpret, exaggerate and otherwise distort any news about H-D. Always has and seems it always will.

If you are an investor and read the Motley Fool for more than a morning cartoon, your investment judgement may be questionable. Like the CCE, the Fools' flamboyant headlines do not mean the article is worth your $ 0.02.

The following users liked this post:
Montag (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 AM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

HD has already sold more in Q1 than Indian did for the entire 2017. Estimated to be less than 25,000 bikes.

Locally, the worst dealer out of the 4 around is selling 10 bikes a day and 3 weeks ago we had 7 foot snow drifts.

Montag (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:06 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Wow, this stuff comes up 3 or 4 times a year, and still Harley keeps going. Doom and gloom, doom and gloom. It's so tiring.

Cozz (05-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson Sales Go From Bad To Worse