General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need engine......

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

What do you suppose this does to the value of the bike? Is this lifetime drive train warranty transferrable?

Old 05-11-2018, 12:43 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
The days of me riding more than to Flagstaff for lunch are over, my friend. I can no longer physically handle battling the wind and the weather all day, let alone several days in a row......

Lon
I get that side of it but that shouldn't be a factor in how your issue should be repaired. I've just seen this very thing happen on more than one occasion and the customer just allow themselves to be forced to accept a repair that's not what it should be. It strikes a bit of a "personal experience" aspect with me, that's all. Good luck with it.

The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, lifters replaced and still has a noise. They are taking the top end apart now to look for the source, and I will be viewing the parts myself when it is apart.

Lon

Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Take your camera with you, Lon.
You may want documentation later on...

The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Default Top end apart, saw the parts myself

Well, the top end and the cam chest are apart and I got a look at the parts myself. Cylinders and pistons had some very minor scoring, cam appeared OK, tech said oil pump OK, but I honestly wouldn't know what to look for. The pan was dropped and no shavings in the oil or on the plug. In an attempt to turn a negative into a positive, I will be getting a Stage III kit for a deeply discounted price for the parts only.

Lon

Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Well, the top end and the cam chest are apart and I got a look at the parts myself. Cylinders and pistons had some very minor scoring, cam appeared OK, tech said oil pump OK, but I honestly wouldn't know what to look for. The pan was dropped and no shavings in the oil or on the plug. In an attempt to turn a negative into a positive, I will be getting a Stage III kit for a deeply discounted price for the parts only.

Lon
By that, I hope you mean the parts are deeply discounted.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,640 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Lon
I know that anything could happen on a job. Techs make mistakes, I've had my share over 49 years, but I never lost an oil line/pressure issue. Its one of those things you recheck a couple times, before releasing the vehicle. That said, what makes you think they will be able to do the repairs/upgrade any better, than before? Not only that, but roller brgs on the rods, are small, and get overheated pretty fast, and don't like getting left out of oil. Just doing an upper end, on this bike would worry me. Granted, I'm not there to listen to the noise, and granted, they want to save their pride/ reputation/ money, (I would too) but I don't think this is the end of this story, just saying.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
By that, I hope you mean the parts are deeply discounted.
Yes, paying for parts only.....

Lon

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I know that anything could happen on a job. Techs make mistakes, I've had my share over 49 years, but I never lost an oil line/pressure issue. Its one of those things you recheck a couple times, before releasing the vehicle. That said, what makes you think they will be able to do the repairs/upgrade any better, than before? Not only that, but roller brgs on the rods, are small, and get overheated pretty fast, and don't like getting left out of oil. Just doing an upper end, on this bike would worry me. Granted, I'm not there to listen to the noise, and granted, they want to save their pride/ reputation/ money, (I would too) but I don't think this is the end of this story, just saying.
Different tech doing the work to the engine. Everything in life is a gamble. I'm comfortable with the resolution.....

Lon

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-12-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:09 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,640 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Different tech doing the work to the engine. Everything in life is a gamble. I'm comfortable with the resolution.....

Lon

Old 05-11-2018, 09:23 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

This is another downward spiral in the making..... hate it for you Lon. I wouldn't trust that engine as far as I could pick it up and throw it.

Quick Reply: Need engine......