General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need engine......

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Need engine......

Wanted to start a new thread on this, what has been an interesting journey so far.

It started when I though service and parts installs was taking too long and ended up yesterday when an oil line that had just been installed at the dealership blew off as I approached home (30 miles from the dealer)

I went out to start the bike this morning to take back to the dealer to let them wash off all the oil, and turned the radio before starting. It looks like there are bigger issues than a little oil on the bike. The engine now sounds like a sewing machine (a rather loud on at that). Sounds like lifters to me, but what do I know?

When I spoke to the service writer last night, he assured me that their couldn’t have been any damage done to the engine, because the light was designed to come on before that…..I went out this morning and followed my oil track and could see where the line blew off. The line that blew off was the one returning oil to the engine and The trail was over a mile long to the point where the light came on. This tells me that there was NO oil being pumped into the engine for at least a mile before the light came on. (Edit) Thinking more on this, it may or may not be true....It was the line that returning oil to the oil filter adapter (where the filter used to be). Where is the filter in the oiling system of the M8? Does the filtered oil go to the engine or return to the tank?

I am waiting for them to open now to call him. We’ll see how he wants to handle this. I’m sure he’s not going to want to buy a brand new engine, but as far as I can see, that is the only way to make me whole on this. Less than 1000 on the trike……..

Lon

Last edited by Teufelhunden; 05-10-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, that sucks...

Old 05-10-2018, 11:52 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Thank goodness for warranty! Let us know how this goes.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
Thank goodness for warranty! Let us know how this goes.
This should not be warranty. Dealer installed a oil filter relocation kit and left a line loose that blew off and ran out of oil.......

Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 879 Posts

A certain mechanic’s gonna get his nuts in a vice over this.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:02 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Take pictures

Old 05-10-2018, 12:03 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,666 Likes on 2,676 Posts

No way they are coming off a new engine. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:06 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
This should not be warranty. Dealer installed a oil filter relocation kit and left a line loose that blew off and ran out of oil.......
There should be warranty on dealer installed items. And if they screwed up and your motor is damaged they are responsible.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:22 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,795 Likes on 6,215 Posts

Let me guess...Chuck's Deluxe?

Old 05-10-2018, 12:37 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
Wanted to start a new thread on this, what has been an interesting journey so far.

It started when I though service and parts installs was taking too long and ended up yesterday when an oil line that had just been installed at the dealership blew off as I approached home (30 miles from the dealer)

I went out to start the bike this morning to take back to the dealer to let them wash off all the oil, and turned the radio before starting. It looks like there are bigger issues than a little oil on the bike. The engine now sounds like a sewing machine (a rather loud on at that). Sounds like lifters to me, but what do I know?

When I spoke to the service writer last night, he assured me that their couldn’t have been any damage done to the engine, because the light was designed to come on before that…..I went out this morning and followed my oil track and could see where the line blew off. The line that blew off was the one returning oil to the engine and The trail was over a mile long to the point where the light came on. This tells me that there was NO oil being pumped into the engine for at least a mile before the light came on. (Edit) Thinking more on this, it may or may not be true....It was the line that returning oil to the oil filter adapter (where the filter used to be). Where is the filter in the oiling system of the M8? Does the filtered oil go to the engine or return to the tank?

I am waiting for them to open now to call him. We’ll see how he wants to handle this. I’m sure he’s not going to want to buy a brand new engine, but as far as I can see, that is the only way to make me whole on this. Less than 1000 on the trike……..

Lon
One time I had a flywheel installed on my bike. During the process I got cross-ways with the mechanic. Do not remember what I said or how it happened. Anyway the job was completed. I took the bike home. A few days later I decided to change the cams. I did the work myself. When I opened up the cam chest, I found that the bolt that holds the flywheel in place was lose. Not even hand tight. Was it a coincidence? I do not know. The moral of the story....do not **** off your mechanic!

Last edited by BobRR; 05-10-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Need engine......