General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled my Lo today, Next bike will be...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:34 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

A fairing can be added to a Road King. Most any stock seats suck as do bars. If it were me i would opt for the Road Glide but I am on my 3rd. Also love my Road King but have had it a long time and very much suited to my liking. Shield or fairing on or off in seconds. Glad you are okay and have the chance to make a decision so best of luck.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,356 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Glad you're OK and hope the hand heals quickly.

We take week - 2 week trips on our bikes so a fairing is important, cruise and stereo are a bonus. We are very happy with our 14 and 15 Rushmore Limiteds.

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2018, 06:58 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I made this decision in 2013. I appreciated the old school look of the clear windshield and the ability to take it off if I wanted. I did not want music ,nav or a lot of stuff in front of me when I ride. I can add luggage when needed to keep it light otherwise.

Good luck and I hope you get paid big time by the at fault Insurance carrier.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,204 Likes on 714 Posts

If you have to wait for the hand to heal why not wait for nex gen models in August?

Old 05-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Glad you’re ok.

Hard to beat the RK or 114 Heritage for versatility. Both great rides.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 387 Likes on 257 Posts

First and foremost - glad you are OK and able to be thinking about the next bike. Take care of yourself and heal well - listen to Dr and don't push things...short term pain for long term gain.

As far as which bike, I agree that you really need to test ride both. Also think about how you ride - do you want tunes and more protection from the wind...etc. I can't tell you which way to go, just my experience as I have owned both. Had a 2012 SG that I sold in order to buy a 2017 RK. It's a bit apple/oranges because of the different motors, suspension, etc. but I personally enjoy riding the RK more. Do I miss the tunes and the fairing? Not really...but that's just me. Best wishes for speedy recovery of your hand and other assorted bumps/bruises and have fun bike shopping when you're ready!

Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 388 Posts

I like the Road King for its cleaner look.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Not for awhile. In window shopping mode until the hand heals up. So collecting opinions. Besides a test ride doesn't tell you everything. I try to avoid expensive mistakes by listening to others' experiences.

For example, my Fatboy is now up to $600 for a couple tires. Quoted both by a dealer and an Indy 30 minutes prior to my wreck. F that.
Not gonna be any cheaper for a touring bike... Buy your tires online, take the wheels off, and go to a shop and have them mounted. Then it's only $350 a set instead of $600.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:22 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,740 Likes on 2,699 Posts

My first Harley was a Road King Classic and I'm now on a Street Glide Special, so I can give you one man's opinion.

I loved my Road King. My riding varies. I do roughly 10-12k a year and 4-6k of it is done on road trips. The rest of it is back and forth to work, or around town shopping, etc. The Road King is a very versatile bike, but once I rode behind the windshield, it never came off again. I love music when I ride. I'm always listening to an iPod. Putting it on the bars and then unplugging and getting earbuds in to ride and everything else, eventually became annoying.

I went to the FLHXS for the music and the GPS. I don't have to unplug, or take anything off of the bars, or worry about anything being stolen. Ride up, shut it off, dismount and walk off. Security system disables the ignition, nothing to steal... love it. The GPS, if you read the Rushmore forum, you would think it's useless. It runs perfectly for me. It's a piece of kit that you have to learn how to use. There may be better platforms out there and this one may be different, but it works well once you learn the ins and outs of it. I've planned multiple 3-5 Day trips out on it and just have to get on the bike, select the day, and follow the map. Both great bikes, you really can't go wrong with either choice. It just depends on what you're looking for out of the bike.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 05-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:40 AM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Glad you're ok, relatively speaking. Sorry to here there's one less Lo in the wild.

Quick Reply: Totaled my Lo today, Next bike will be...