General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer riding jacket

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

I just bought this to go under a light jacket or I can wear it over a tee shirt. Has all the armor in all the right places. Buy a size larger than you think you will need. I am 5'9 and weigh 195 and I bought an XL and it fits nice and snug.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/o...SABEgLPEfD_BwE

Old 05-14-2018, 06:23 PM
keener3rd
Cruiser
Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a leather riding jacket with armor and a Tour Master Flex 2 textile jacket. The Flex is great because I can remove the liner and out layer and wear just the mesh layer which has the armor.

I am one of the ATGATT crowd but, at 46, I bought my first bike after getting home from my band playing a few gigs in Sturgis last year (got bit by the bug BIG TIME!). I actually had the bike for a month before I was able to take a motorcycle safety course, so I’m obviously not as experienced as most on the forum. I also have a Daytona turtle shell and Shoei RF-1200 depending on the conditions, but I prefer the half. I’m not sure when or if I will be comfortable going without some of the gear, but I can assure you I enjoy it every time I take the bike out.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:27 PM
pei_guy
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got the Icon Konflict jacket. Perforated textile, zip out liner and D30 armour. Was around $350 CDN last year. I like it well.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:52 PM
TroutBum
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts

I recently bought a Fox Creek Leather Men's Summer Riding Jacket. I had a chance to ride with it when the temp was in the low 80s. Very comfortable with great air movement. I am curious to see how it holds up in the high 80s and 90s. I have two other jackets, but they are textile. One is a Scorpion with front and back mesh zipper slit openings. Works okay in hot weather but the armored decrease the airflow. For hot days, above 90, I use a 5 year old Speed and Strength mesh jacket that has great air flow, but the jacket started to deteriorate after one season of riding. The Scorpion is 6 years old and looks practically new and was the same price as the Speed and Strength.

The FC jacket with armor came to around $725 and the two textile jackets were $250 each.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts

"Yet so many on this site make emphatic judgement calls about others based on what they were wearing while riding when a picture was taken it prompted my statement. Of couse it was inflammatory and was thown out to elicit debate.

What say you?

How many of you guys wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME you ride a bike, and if you don't wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME why not? "

I do not judge others sadly you do {but I digress} but for the record I am full ATGATT EVERY time I swing a leg over my bike. You may not want to believe it but frankly Scarlet...

I hope you never go down hard {as have I} but would wager a guess that if and when it happens you will have a change of heart. A few days in the ICU and 6 months relearning to walk {at age 24] will give you the requisite time to reflect and reevaluate some of your prior foollish choices... BTDT. Another, but similar topic... drinking and riding. A lot of folks do, they make up the bulk of the accident statistics. I will never get on my bike after a single drop of alcohol. It's my choice, feel free to make you own but that is how I don't roll. Many of my riding buddies say you can have one, but I prefer to have none {it's easier to remember}. I'm not a non drinker by any means... don't get between me and the bar after a ride unless you are buying but at 66 {or any age for that matter} why shorten your reaction time?

As always... opinions and YMMV.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Loddle down there little cow poke. As Jimi would say, "no reason to get excited!" Let me address your concerns one at a time.

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Because leather is too GD hot in the summer. It's only been mentioned five times. Hey! Look at all this leather protection I've got! Then you fall out on the bike from a heat stroke.
Which is why I don't wear it in the summer. In fact, I don't wear either of my leather jackets at all anymore. And those ninja turtle suits I see guys wearing (look at me, see all this protection I'm wearing) can't be all that much cooler. But if you're worried enough about road rash and you're afraid of getting to hot you could always let some air in like this:

As for protection in general, why should police wear a bulletproof vest when you can go right through it with a knife? Some mitigation from the most common injuries is good sense. Road rash is on the top of the list.
No such thing as a bullet proof vest. In my day not everyone wore ballistic armor. These days they're pretty much mandatory.

Do you carry flood insurance on your house? If so, why don't you also have volcano, earthquake, meteor, and terrorist insurance? Why don't you carry insurance for continental plate subversion? It happened to Atlantis, that **** could happen to you too, right?
No. No, no, but I do carry terrorist protection on me. Not needed. Not likely.
In that last section you're confusing me a bit. You seem to be validating my argument for me!
I'm not saying that you shouldn't wear protection. If you want to dress up like a nija turtle go ahead, do it. Lots of people walk around looking like the just stepped out of a fashion magazine anyway. Myself I don't feel I need it because I don't feel it will protect me as much as it says it will. I think that while those front and back panels may stay in place the elbow, arm and knee pads may not stay put. They look like they would hit the ground, dig in and spin or slide on you and flesh will be on the pavement before you know it. But again as always these are just my views and I'm comfortable with them. I'm just sayin.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:00 AM
MIRoadKing65
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by judgedelta
I have a Harley mesh jacket from last spring. Ordered a silver jacket, but it is mostly black, which is tolerable riding, but hot going slow or stopped. It had pockets for armor, but the pads were optional. (Being Harley would you expect any less?) I have a Pilot Direct Air V3 on order, which is mesh and comes with armor in shoulders, elbows and back. I got the white with a little red trim. $160 shipped.
http://www.pilotmotosport.com/
Yeah that is a bunch of crap....they sell you the mesh jackets without the armor. Luckily for me when I was in the market for a new mesh jacket due to a good amount of weight loss I still had my old mesh jacket and just swapped the armor from that one over to the Harley jacket

Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,350 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by KDF72
Have a look at the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. I've been wearing them for 10+ years. Mesh, armor, inexpensive and lots of colors inc black.
I second that suggestion. That is what I have for warm weather.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
...............removed

What say you?

How many of you guys wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME you ride a bike, and if you don't wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME why not? "
I do. See my simple post about 3-4 above yours. "I had all the road rash I want when I was younger. I'm now an ATGATT rider, which includes an armored mesh jacket for warmer weather."

I don't see anyone judging that in this thread. Wear it you GD want to, don't if you don't, I couldn't care less. The OP wanted recommendations, and if you don't have one, then whatever.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll 2nd the Cycle Gear mesh coat with armor. Light jacket, cooler and if you watch the sales you can get them priced under $80. Everything
else I use 2 Different leather jackets: 1 heavier with a thicker liner and neck warmer for winter, the 2nd leather one is lighter with a thinner liner for
mid temps that I bought off Craigslist for like $65 that was like new...

Quick Reply: Summer riding jacket