General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:54 AM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member

Received 4,302 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Looks like summer started a few weeks ago here. If your riding around past noon in the heat, stay away from any city with all the stoplights on every corner.

Here in New Braunfels, riding wasn't too bad some years back, but being the 2nd fasting growing city in the nation, and San Antonio #1, traffic is starting to suck the life out of riding.

Can't wait until late July when I head up to the Houghton Lake, Mi. area so I can complain about the cold mornings.

The following users liked this post:
vaham (06-26-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 07:41 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Get a leather summer riding jacket. Gets hotter from now.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

If it's riding weather I ride. Temperature doesn't matter.

People that move to Texas should come prepared. This isn't the place for 'snowflakes'. Learn from this person...

Dear Diary,

Just moved to Texas! Now this is a state that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! It is beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car.
What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat?
At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body). Missed 3 days of work.
What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car now smells like Kibbles and *****. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!!
And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one.
Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise *** cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when sat on the seats in the car, I thought my *** was on fire.
My skin melted to the seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and *** . . . Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ***, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do **** for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn state? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700 worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over.
Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 115 today. Cactus are dead.
Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me??? "Hot enough for you today?"

My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail.

Freaking Texas. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here??

Will write later to let you know how the trial goes.

The following 11 users liked this post by Bone Doc:
67Shuv (06-03-2018), almostakeeper (06-03-2018), Capt Steve (06-07-2018), cficole (06-13-2018), CR3999 (08-27-2018), Dawgies (07-06-2018), elephantrider2 (06-05-2018), motohaid (07-06-2018), Rumblin (06-04-2018), SBRob (06-03-2018), torchmaster (06-05-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
Hello you Texas and Southern riders. I am now in the Dallas area. Went out after work at about 6:00
100 degrees. Yep, it was hot and not that much fun. Do you guys ride in this weather?
Deal with it or wait til the sun goes down? I am absolutely not used to this. Whats the deal? Suck it up?
I used to live in San Antonio and really don't remember the heat ever getting to me. I just got used to sweating and cooling off at speed.

I do miss hot weather and humidity... both are great excuses for cold beer and fishing.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:09 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes, get a nice vented jacket and don't stop moving

Old 06-03-2018, 09:13 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member

Received 4,302 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
If it's riding weather I ride. Temperature doesn't matter.

People that move to Texas should come prepared. This isn't the place for 'snowflakes'. Learn from this person...
Funniest damn thing I've read in awhile.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Texas5858
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

came here from so cal and had to adjust, just stay hydrated.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
100 degrees. Yep, it was hot and not that much fun. Do you guys ride in this weather?
Whats the deal? Suck it up?

I can only dream of seeing 100 deg weather in this area.
We have to cross a mountain range to get that (much less the 90's, rarely see upper 80's) kind of heat.
Now the humidity I can do without, but I love the heat & the sun, my buddies all laugh at me when we get over the mountains.
I lean back in the saddle and suck all the sun I can.
The older I get the more I crave it...

Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,019 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Way to beat the Texas heat? Left Zion two days ago 44 degrees. Durango today ? 48... Not looking forward to getting back to the Texas heat but....

Old 06-04-2018, 11:07 AM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

You adjust to it. That, and if you don't ride in the heat, you don't ride here. Just like our northern brethren like to say, if you don't ride in the cold you don't get to ride much. It's the same with the heat here.

It's hotter earlier this year than in most years past, but it's coming one way or another.

Quick Reply: Texas riding