General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a friend - Mixed emotions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:03 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,669 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope everyone involved can find some peace in this time of trouble.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,238 Likes on 17,593 Posts

Having lost friends and known of others who've senselessly lost lives on 2 wheels I've learned a few hard truths first being lose the survivors guilt you are struggling with. You cannot second guess or what if it in anyway that would have changed things. He made his choices, a tragedy yes but honestly nothing you personally could have done would have changed the mans mind much less what happened.

I understand where you're heads at I really do but support his family in anyway you feel you need to and make your own peace with this or it will affect your own riding & habits. Hesitation and and doubt are stone cold killers on a bike in today's world.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
mctraveler (06-03-2018), V-Twins & Bowties (09-16-2023)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

I’m 52. Most of the people I ride with are 65-72. Some lead, some follow, some don’t keep up. Everyone is entitled to run at their own pace.
He died with his boots on in an accident that wasn’t his fault. Rest In Peace.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:33 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Hasher
The guy was 73, he died doing what he loved, I
Cool with that. But we are riding missle on public streets. Hopefully we all know when to stop. I do tend to agree, if the guy didn't listen before, he probably wasn't going to now.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:45 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Very sorry for the loss of your friend, he sounds like a great guy, and passionate about riding. Doubting and questioning yourself are very natural feelings for caring people that have lost a close friend. From my detached perspective I can assure you that you were an exceptional friend to him. You watched over him and tried to guide him to safer situations. I guarantee he would be the last one to question your friendship and efforts to keep him safe. From the first ride on a cycle to the last, we have to ride our own ride and accept the consequences of the enhanced danger of 2 wheels. He accepted the risks and would never in a million years wonder why you didn't do more. Time to ease up on yourself and remember the best times. Get some rest.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:45 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Dont beat yourself up. First, its an accident-the only person responsible for the accident is the Jeep driver. No one else.
Second, as others stated-you said your piece to your friend. You cant change someones behavior. Hell, the older we all get, the more set we are in our own ways.

One thing I REALLY wish they would teach in driver's ed-and they dont, at least here in MA-is that MOTORCYCLES ARE EVERYWHERE, and that a fender bender with another car results in minor, or even no, damage-but a fender bender with a motorcycle can kill. They dont teach that here at all-but they can certainly tell you what the blood alcohol content of a white male, 35 years old, 180 lbs, at 3 AM should be (seriously, most of the written tests here are about substance abuse and driving).

On a side note, I really wish they retested drivers every X amount of years in this country. There are a LOT of people who shouldnt be on the road. Not that taking away a DL keeps them from driving-but it may keep SOME people more honest...

Old 06-03-2018, 03:03 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Sorry to hear that you have the loss of a friend to deal with. As others have said, there was nothing you could have done, or said, to change this tragic event. I hope I know when to give it up, but only time will tell.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,322 Likes on 18,751 Posts

Should of, could of, would of ... Don't beat yourself up over what you might have done ... Cherish the memories

The following users liked this post:
V-Twins & Bowties (09-16-2023)
Old 06-03-2018, 07:38 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 548 Likes on 386 Posts

Sorry for your loss of a friend. I can feel the loss and hurt in your message. He lived as he wanted. I've thought about stuff like this and wonder... would I like to go laying in a hospice bed with the clock counting down or go doing the things I love. Maybe he thought about that also.
--
Rob

Old 06-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,523 Likes on 6,272 Posts

The older I get the less advice I give to friends. They usually don't listen, and resent you afterwards. At least you tried to help him. I have fought a long time with the state of Wisconsin, trying to restore a 4 year driver's license renewal (I'm an Optometrist). I don't get anywhere, with clueless bureaucrats. There are many drivers with poor vision out there, but inattentive driving is probably the biggest factor.

Sorry about your friend.

Quick Reply: Lost a friend - Mixed emotions