General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycles and people on their phones

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:44 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I call them cell phone junkies , and one almost pulled out in front of me today . I have often stated that if I'am able to pick myself up off the pavement after one of these selfish cell phone addicted morons hits me I'am going to walk over to their car and knock their teeth out ! But I cannot advise for violence. I just will make their life a living hell with civil law suites one after the other .

The following users liked this post:
KnarleyHarley (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:32 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a pulsing brake light that's called bright *** brake light.
it is very bright. I have been stopped by Leo twice because of the setting I have on it where it continues to pulse. They say that is illegal. I have told them to write me a ticket. It's better then getting hit from behind. So far no tickets

6113_ (06-16-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 06:38 AM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EggDropX

Really, too many illegals are the problem? Lol
yes, they are. No license, no insurance and if they run over you all that happens is they get a small fine and no jail time. And you get to pay the bill. That is if they actualy stay till cops show up and dont flee the scene.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 AM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I commute from the burbs to downtown every day, riding the bike is NOT an option. I can't tell you the number of times I've glanced in my rear view mirror only to see the idiot behind me face down in a GD cellphone. I have no idea if they'll stop if the traffic backs up. The only thing I can do is keep a minimum of 5-6 car lengths between myself and the person ahead of me. Cell phone use while driving should carry the same penalties as drunk driving.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:28 AM
n5tf
Tourer
Received 184 Likes on 67 Posts

I ride bike to work lots of days here, and I am amazed there aren't more wrecks with the number of people messing with phones. I see it multiple times every trip and have gotten quite savvy in recognizing the little wiggle as they course correct... Delay starting at red lights, etc. Even 18 Wheelers are into using the phone... I drive almost paranoid.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:51 AM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Your severly injured or dead , robbing your family of your life and income . All they will get is a $200.00 fine and maybe a citation for careless driving . Should be a mandatory jail sentence .

JimmyDee (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:53 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by EggDropX

Really, too many illegals are the problem? Lol
nah, can't be. trump said they were all rapists and murderers, he didn't say nothing about texting and driving.

EggDropX (06-21-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:57 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Back in the day when I lived in conservative California, I used to ride from the Wilshire District in LA to Garden Grove every day on a bike. I would never do that today, I moved out of the city 9 years ago to Myrtle Beach. No issue riding here except for Deer. Traffic is only heavy certain hours of the day. Still, it's challenging to ride in the busy areas.

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
I have a pulsing brake light that's called bright *** brake light.
it is very bright. I have been stopped by Leo twice because of the setting I have on it where it continues to pulse. They that is illegal. I have told them to write me a ticket. It's better then getting hit from behind. So far no tickets
A "pulsing" brake light will not keep you from getting hit from behind. 100 of them will not keep you safe,
When you are hit from behind it is ALWAYS because the driver did not see you because they were NOT LOOKING. All the pulsing brake lights in the world cannot prevent that, Hee are a few examples of people "not seeing a big orange school bus with all kinds of flashing lights

That said Pulsing headlamps DO keep you safe as they will often get another look by an oncoming or side street turner.

How many of these drivers did not see a frigging school bus? Think they would have seen your "pulsing brake lights?

Examples.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-19-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

that's at one end of the spectrum. but there are points all along that spectrum where the pulsing brake light can, and does, get seen. just because someone rear ends a school bus or a fire truck, etc, does not mean that automatically no one else is able to see us and we shouldn't take any precautions that we feel are necessary to keep ourselves from getting run over. but the most important part of the equation, even if you have added all these other safety stuff, you still have to maintain situational awareness and be prepared to react at a moments notice.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

[QUOTE=EggDropX;17440947]Really, too many illegals are the problem? Lol
[/QUOT

Yes, a big problem. The rules do not apply to them

I avoid Phoenix traffic like the plague. The freeway is a landfill. Left lane campers. Fast and slow Snowbird drivers. Too many people.

The night is my favorite time of day to ride around here.

31scout (06-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Motorcycles and people on their phones