General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally visited the H-D museum, I bit dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 PM
2018FatBob
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you guys would like to see an awesome museum you should visit Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley, NC.
https://wheelsthroughtime.com/Really cool place!

The following 2 users liked this post by 2018FatBob:
FNGonaRK (07-10-2018), rigidthumper (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 05:12 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

wife n i ride up there from chaicago couple times a year. nice displays we thought . we mainly go there for a saturday or sunday lunch at the restaurant across the way, good food and friendly servers everytime we have been there.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:13 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I heard they shipped part of the museum overseas.

The following 2 users liked this post by big papa AZ:
Peter Griffin (07-12-2018), Uncle Larry (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I agree, my wife and I went in April. It was underwhelming for what I was expecting. We did the VIP tour, that was the biggest waste of money. We got to see the archives, but only one row down the center. It was a bucket list item that I checked off, but I have no desire to go back

Old 07-10-2018, 07:31 AM
RoyB
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got an email last night that next week is their 10 year anniversary. $10 admission and other specials.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM
tdoggz
Advanced
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

I have visited the museum four times in the past year. For me it's not about what is or isn't on display. It's more a matter of history. Understanding the humble beginnings of William and Arthur, and how we got to where we stand today. Knowing the history of Harley-Davidson and knowing the DNA of my current bike gives me a sense of pride in the brand and it's role in American history. Especially in relation to American military.

Are they perfect? No. Is the museum perfect? No, but name . company that is.

Here's just a couple of shots from my last visit.

Last edited by tdoggz; 07-10-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo
The following 2 users liked this post by tdoggz:
fireman64 (07-10-2018), Tony P (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:43 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,814 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Go there this Saturday. You don't even have to go inside.
Wild Ones Vintage Motorcycle Rally
70th Anniversary of the Panhead
Knuckle Reunion
Museum's 10th birthday

There will be more righteous vintage bikes parked in front of the place than you can count. All ridden there.
We usually show up with about 15-20 from Chicago.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

The old bikes are cool I really thought the gas tank wall was a nice touch.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:23 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

In 2015 I rode from Northwest Washington to Milwaukee (4800 miles round trip) just to see the museum. Wasn't disappointed. Enjoyed seeing all the bikes from different years. $20 is not expensive IMO. Actually bought a HD museum T-shirt, first Harley t-shirt I've bought in at least 10 years. Everybody has different expectations.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
I have been wanting to visit the H-D museum in Milwaukee for some time. I've read here from some of you that it was worth the trip. Well, My wife and I rode up to Milwaukee for the day last Thursday and visited the museum. It was nice but I was expecting more. I found the place a bit small, exhibits too crowded and lacking many features that I wish HD would consider. Perhaps since HD makes dealers build these mega stores I expected the museum to be similar in size.

1. At $20 a person, it was a bit much for what they offered
2. The elevator was broken, using the stairs worsened my knee as we walked around the place. Maybe the elevator uses parts made in China.
3. Used the bathroom and they were dirty and littered. Not a good experience.
4. They had bikes representing most of the early years. I felt that they were crammed too close into the middle of the place. Would have been nice if they were spread out more to enjoy each one.
5. Would have liked to see some of their prototype models, nothing in the exhibit showed how the bikes come from drawing to production. This alone could fill an area of its own. Specially now that HD is making electric bikes.
6. With some plants closed or closing, it would have been nice to see some of the old machinery that they use to stamp parts or assemble bikes. Again, something like this would fill its own area.
7. We were able to go to the "Archives" area on the third floor. This is where they restore bikes and store items not on display. They have a huge amount of bikes stored in these automated racks, three shelves high. Would be great to see these bikes on the floor instead.
8. Would have loved to see a vending machine where you could make your own plastic motorcycle or where you put a penny and it stamps some graphic on it. We have these at the zoo and other museums in Chicago. Would have been nice to bring back a token that didn't cost $100.

Overall, we had a good time, specially because on that Thursday that we went they had a band playing outside and enough people showed up that we had a good time talking to other HD fans. Just wish HD would not do something half way and spent the money on a museum that would equal other museums.
Finally, somebody else that was disappointed. But still glad I went. You need to go without any thoughts of what you'll find. I am sure of one thing Grandpa Harley and Grandpa Davidson are pissed they didn't do a better job. I too want to see how they got them from the drafting table to the shop floor. The vintage stuff was the best for me.

Last edited by mcgee10; 07-10-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: I finally visited the H-D museum, I bit dissapointed