General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally visited the H-D museum, I bit dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts
Default I finally visited the H-D museum, I bit dissapointed

I have been wanting to visit the H-D museum in Milwaukee for some time. I've read here from some of you that it was worth the trip. Well, My wife and I rode up to Milwaukee for the day last Thursday and visited the museum. It was nice but I was expecting more. I found the place a bit small, exhibits too crowded and lacking many features that I wish HD would consider. Perhaps since HD makes dealers build these mega stores I expected the museum to be similar in size.

1. At $20 a person, it was a bit much for what they offered
2. The elevator was broken, using the stairs worsened my knee as we walked around the place. Maybe the elevator uses parts made in China.
3. Used the bathroom and they were dirty and littered. Not a good experience.
4. They had bikes representing most of the early years. I felt that they were crammed too close into the middle of the place. Would have been nice if they were spread out more to enjoy each one.
5. Would have liked to see some of their prototype models, nothing in the exhibit showed how the bikes come from drawing to production. This alone could fill an area of its own. Specially now that HD is making electric bikes.
6. With some plants closed or closing, it would have been nice to see some of the old machinery that they use to stamp parts or assemble bikes. Again, something like this would fill its own area.
7. We were able to go to the "Archives" area on the third floor. This is where they restore bikes and store items not on display. They have a huge amount of bikes stored in these automated racks, three shelves high. Would be great to see these bikes on the floor instead.
8. Would have loved to see a vending machine where you could make your own plastic motorcycle or where you put a penny and it stamps some graphic on it. We have these at the zoo and other museums in Chicago. Would have been nice to bring back a token that didn't cost $100.

Overall, we had a good time, specially because on that Thursday that we went they had a band playing outside and enough people showed up that we had a good time talking to other HD fans. Just wish HD would not do something half way and spent the money on a museum that would equal other museums.

The following users liked this post:
mcgee10 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the honest review of the place

Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 AM
RoyB
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Summerfest was last week. Maybe part of the reason it was more crowded than normal? I have never been there myself.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

This is pretty disappointing to hear after hearing for years it's a trip of a lifetime. I would expect it to be something special. I am not a big museum fan or cultural guy to begin with but when I think of museums the only thing comes to mind is the Houston Museum of Natural Science. That place is impressive.

Another one is the Texas Ranger Museum. That place is done right as well. I would have expected the HD Museum to be of that caliber so to speak.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

I've been there... It was "Ok"... I wouldn't go back

Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

#7 is not reasonable. There simply isnt enough space to display them all. They rotate bikes in/out based on current themes they want to highlight, etc.

There is no excuse for dirty bathrooms. Elevators break down like our bikes do. 1 or 2 days is understandable, beyond that, not acceptable.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,029 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
#7 is not reasonable. There simply isnt enough space to display them all. They rotate bikes in/out based on current themes they want to highlight, etc.

There is no excuse for dirty bathrooms. Elevators break down like our bikes do. 1 or 2 days is understandable, beyond that, not acceptable.
There is no excuse for dirty bathrooms anywhere. Our "oilfield" shop has bathrooms as clean as our homes, because we pick up after ourselves and clean daily. Public restrooms become filthy because people don't care what they leave behind. The mentality of "leave it for someone else to clean up" will get you fired at my place.

The following users liked this post:
DaveE (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:51 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i've been inside the museum twice and i liked it. i took about 3 hours each time to see everything there. both times i was there my wife wasn't with me, she would have no interest and would pressure me to hurry up. i did the tour without the head phones because i wanted to go at my own pace and not look at stuff while someone was blabbing in my ear.
as far as the restroom is concerned, was there some **** sprinkles on the floor and a few pieces of paper laying around? WTF it happens.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 494 Posts

I like the place and visit every year as I am 1.5hr away.
It is good place to visit for any HD enthusiast. Last Thursday I visited first time for party outside and I really enjoyed it. Love Motor store as they have bunch of things you cant buy at dealer. Well here is few pictures so you can judge. Not sure I can upload video here as I have one I am sure many will like. Dont get discouraged go and see yourself as while some extra upkeep will be nice it os cool place to see.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Burbur2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 494 Posts

Some more pix as I cant add multiple ones

Quick Reply: I finally visited the H-D museum, I bit dissapointed