General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Campgrounds around Sturgis that offer free shuttle bus into town?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:40 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 548 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Wait, what? You attend a motorcycle rally, with your motorcycle, then you get around on a bus? Why does this really not surprise me these days? Why not just fly in to Sturgis, Uber around for a week and skip the whole inconvenience involved with bringing a motorcycle???
I ride the hills plenty during the day. I'm sorry my idea of fun doesn't meet your expectations. I don't drink and ride. So I take the bus into town at night. I always get back safe and without a DUI.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 07-19-2018 at 06:52 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by heavymetalthunder:
01dyna (07-19-2018), 71on72 (07-19-2018), beanoboy (07-19-2018), blacktop37 (07-19-2018), chromepony (07-20-2018), Fredh (07-19-2018), Scudda (07-19-2018), sleighcrane (07-22-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,731 Likes on 5,861 Posts

Wait, what? You attend a motorcycle rally, with your motorcycle, then you get around on a bus? Why does this really not surprise me these days? Why not just fly in to Sturgis, Uber around for a week and skip the whole inconvenience involved with bringing a motorcycle???
Because, God forbid a man might want to stroll through town, stop at the bars and have a few drinks, then NOT ride his bike back to camp while there are half a million outsiders visiting this very small town.

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
So how's the camping at shade valley? I liked Katmandu but the noise from the highway made it hard for me to sleep. The noise seems to echo thru the hills on that side of the highway. I did wear ear plugs every night to try and sleep. I rode DA Bus a few years ago and its fun but lately been having to titen my belt the last couple of years. I still like going. So I look for a shuttle ride provide by the camp at night. During the day I'm out riding like everyone else. Just thinking about trying something new this year. I'll tent camp again this year.
If you're interested in quality sleep on a budget, my only suggestion would be a lonely spot in the woods, several miles out in the sticks. Hell even Lamphere's, which is like the old lady of Sturgis Campgrounds, has to deal with loud music, partying and burn out contests from the others.

Last edited by Redoilokie; 07-19-2018 at 07:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
01dyna (07-20-2018), beanoboy (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarklin

This is a troll question, right?

For those of us here who haven't been to the Sturgis rally, let me enlighten you.

If your idea of fun is a DUI and sitting in jail, go ahead and drink and ride during the rally. For those of us who ride the beautiful black hills during the day and enjoy the nightlife the rally offers, DaBus is a good way to travel.

Have you ever been to Sturgis during the rally?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-24-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,840 Likes on 18,585 Posts

It's a slow go on the scooter in and through town especially if you're on the east side ( Glencoe, Buffalo Chip etc ) ... There are a few shortcuts/back streets but if you're just going to town it can be a long ( time ) hot "commute" and as mentioned the local police are hot on DUI's

Old 07-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
It's a slow go on the scooter in and through town especially if you're on the east side ( Glencoe, Buffalo Chip etc ) ... There are a few shortcuts/back streets but if you're just going to town it can be a long ( time ) hot "commute" and as mentioned the local police are hot on DUI's
It's worth mentioning that not only is it a long, slow, hot commute, but you get to factor in the fact that many riders are on 900+ lb. motorcycles with less than 90 days riding experience. In very close quarters.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,018 Likes on 2,821 Posts

I ride the hills plenty during the day. I'm sorry my idea of fun doesn't meet your expectations. I don't drink and ride. So I take the bus into town at night. I always get back safe and without a DUI.
Originally Posted by Redoilokie
Because, God forbid a man might want to stroll through town, stop at the bars and have a few drinks, then NOT ride his bike back to camp while there are half a million outsiders visiting this very small town.
Originally Posted by 01dyna
Have you ever been to Sturgis during the rally?
I have no expectations of anyone's idea of fun and I have no problem strolling through a small town like Sturgis or Daytona Beach and having a few drinks over a period of time. Maybe my idea for fun might be different in that I can have a good time without having so many drinks that I need to be driven home. Ya' know that's also an option with respect to being responsible.

Actually no, I've never been to Sturgis but from what I've heard it doesn't sound that much different from Bike Week, Biketoberfest, Myrtle Beach, Laconia or Laughlin all of which I have been to many times over the last almost 50 years and somehow I'm still DUI free! But it is a new day with a different kind of riders bringing in different ideas and it must be a profitable enterprise, silly as it sounds, if there is actually a company that offers the service. I just think it's more fun to actually ride the motorcycle. And to think, all this time whenever I'd see patches that said "I RODE MINE" I thought they were talking about trailering !!!!!

Last edited by Hey Man; 07-19-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Sp.
The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

I have no expectations of anyone's idea of fun and I have no problem strolling through a small town like Sturgis or Daytona Beach and having a few drinks over a period of time. Maybe my idea for fun might be different in that I can have a good time without having so many drinks that I need to be driven home. Ya' know that's also an option with respect to being responsible.

Actually no, I've never been to Sturgis but from what I've heard it doesn't sound that much different from Bike Week, Biketoberfest, Myrtle Beach, Laconia or Laughlin all of which I have been to many times over the last almost 50 years and somehow I'm still DUI free! But it is a new day with a different kind of riders bringing in different ideas and it must be a profitable enterprise, silly as it sounds, if there is actually a company that offers the service. I just think it's more fun to actually ride the motorcycle. And to think, all this time whenever I'd see patches that said "I RODE MINE" I thought they were talking about trailering !!!!!
Personally, I rode. I wasn't really aware of any buses or shuttles that were available. That being said, I do my serious drinking at the campsite. Like the OP, I spend my days out riding that beautiful countryside, because I only get to visit it periodically. On the rare occasions when I do have to go into town, it's always a hassle for parking and trying to get where you need to go.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:14 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,532 Likes on 11,232 Posts

So how's the camping at shade valley? I liked Katmandu but the noise from the highway made it hard for me to sleep. The noise seems to echo thru the hills on that side of the highway. I did wear ear plugs every night to try and sleep.
Noise at a motorcycle rally? Say it ain't so.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,018 Likes on 2,821 Posts

That's it! Next year I'm gonna go to Sturgis and sell " DaMuffs." Headphones for people who don't like hearing the glorious sound of a V-Twin engine thundering in the distance across the heavens during a motorcycle event.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:15 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 01dyna
For those of us here who haven't been to the Sturgis rally, let me enlighten you.

If your idea of fun is a DUI and sitting in jail, go ahead and drink and ride during the rally. For those of us who ride the beautiful black hills during the day and enjoy the nightlife the rally offers, DaBus is a good way to travel.
i don't drink alcohol, so it’s hard to relate.

Quick Reply: Campgrounds around Sturgis that offer free shuttle bus into town?