General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding tips for speeds of 70mph plus

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,598 Likes on 9,813 Posts

Firm beleiver in "ride your own ride". My 2005 Dyna Super Glide rides very well at speeds up to and over 70. Ive had it up to 90 on the slab and it handles it just fine. Maybe get your bike checked out?. It has normal H-D vibration in the handlebars sitting at idle, but smoothes out while riding.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:50 PM
elephantrider2
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

can't stress enough, like other folks have, to ride your own ride. NOT doing that will get you
into trouble quick.

agree with the other comments on here as well, that it sounds like you just need some more
time on the seat. i was the same way when i first got my endorsement. i took it really slow
for a few weeks, putting around my hood, then onto some surface streets, practicing in empty
parking lots, etc.. over time, the guarded comfort came to me gradually, and before i knew
it, i was riding all over the place. it'll come to you, just don't try and rush it.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Gillster
Don't ride with a death grip, relax your hands, it takes some of the vibration out and you will be more comfortable. Always look where you are wanting to go and you will automatically steer in that direction. Do not fixate on one thing, like a pot hole, you will more than likely steer right into it. Look more out in front of you while riding. Just a few tips that help out. Vibration could be from tire cupping, out of balance. A wobble could be from loose head bearings.
This!

You probably are unfamiliar with the wind blast at higher speeds, which will make you tense up and grip the bars tight. Then every vibration will be straight up your arms - plus, you will be "choking" the bike and it will vibrate more.

You will get used to the wind blast - it's quite normal. You will feel like a sail for a while. Your neck will get stiff and your neck muscles will get bigger eventually.

But the key thing is to relax your grip on the bars and let the bike do it's thing underneath you. You only need very subtle control inputs at high speed and should never feel like you are wrestling the bike.

Oh - and make sure you understand the concept of counter steering!

Pretty soon you'll be cool with riding a naked bike at 110mph....

Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

That's way too soon to be on the highway. Get comfortable in your neighborhood for a week or so stay on familiar roads, the ones where you know the danger spots, the signals, the turn lanes. Then ride in your city/area. When you feel ready for the highway go on Sunday mornings, a couple intersections, turn around and come back. STay up with traffic and don't look at the speedo unless you think you're speeding. You'll get there in your own time and ride your own ride. And you need to build up your bike stamina. Keep your rides short for the next couple weeks and work your way up to an hour or two, eventually a half day then full days.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:48 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Ya' did good....

Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

My only real advice for riding fast is don't until you're ready to and have learned the bike. If your friend takes off, let him, you'll catch up soon enough.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 PM
mctraveler
Road Master
Received 321 Likes on 250 Posts

All good tips.....for more info directly to your model you could search the Dyna forum

Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I ride at 80+ often, and one of the first things I put on was a fork brace (Superbrace).
https://superbrace.com/collections/harley
With it, I can ride hands free at high speed.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

....200 miles under your belt, ride your ride and don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable. Bad things can happen very quickly on a bike. I have a Dyna and rarely take it over 85 - most of the time on the freeway, I sit between 75-80 when I'm not being controlled by traffic. I've also found that, at least for me, the Dyna is better suited for the US or State highway in the 65 mph zone. The scenery is much better, though this type of road is a bit less safe than it's bigger brother as access isn't limited to ramps.

Last edited by rjo3491; 07-19-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 332 Likes on 290 Posts

All advice above concerning riding your own pace is good.
However, at 70 mph you bike should not feel like it is shaking apart.

Tire wear, chassis alignment, suspension, motor mounts, steering head bearings, swing arm bolts, and even more should all be checked over to ensure all is tight and right on your bike.

Winds, body position eg aerodynamics can also come into play but I would not define that as a shaking apart feeling.

Enjoy your ride.

The following users liked this post:
keith_stepp (07-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Riding tips for speeds of 70mph plus