General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made the switch to a FF helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Made the switch to a FF helmet

As I get older and hopefully wiser, I have been contemplating going to a FF helmet. When I was young I rode as naked as I could. When I came back to riding a couple of years ago I went to a half helmet.
Last week on the hiway, right near where I leave my hood, a couple had an idiot, young cager, left turn right in front of them. On impact they both flew 20-30 ft. in the air and face planted. They will recover but will never look the same. I decided with all the idiot, distracted cagers on the road today it was time to go to a FF helmet. I had tried a couple on in the past but felt immediately claustrophobic and had to take it off within 5 seconds. After WWW shopping I thought the Bell Bulitt might might be doable with its extra wide open field of vision. Today I rode 75 mi. to the Cycle Gear store in Indy. to try one on. After spending more than an hour with a knowledgeable salesman, named Jeff, and trying on several helmets, I ended up buying the Shoei RF-1200 for $499. After the 75 mi. ride home I am convinced I made the right decision. It is actually a much better helmet, tougher shell with DOT and SNELL rating, fits better, better venting, visor seals tight with a silicone gasket when closed, good field of vision doesn't make me claustrophobic and i can still wear my transition lens, bifocal riding glasses with the visor up or down and much quieter than the half helmet even with the visor up. I can hear my Bluetooth ear buds even better and should help to save what hearing I have left. I just feel safer now and the wife is happy too.
Link, if interested - https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/shoei...-helmet-solid?

Old 07-27-2018, 11:43 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,671 Likes on 1,674 Posts

When I went to AK in 2000, I bought a cheaper FF helmet knowing that it would be beneficial in the cold and rain, and it was.

I still use my half shell for local rides but I bought a better (not as good as yours obviously) FF Modular a few years ago for touring and mounted my speakers and mic into it and I really like it.
The ability to open either the shield, or to open the lower portion of the helmet eliminates some of that "closed in feeling" that we all dislike.

The good part is that it makes listening to music much more enjoyable and conversations on the CB are not as garbled.

Then, there's always the fact that a FF helmet does provide more protection in accidents.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 AM
DaddyFlip
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Congratulations on your choice! I made up my mind from the get-go that I would wear FF all the time. I get made fun of sometimes but it doesn't bother me at all. I just point to my head and face and say, "I make my living right here (brains and good looks)!" My first helmet was a Shoei GT-Air; expensive and good. When Scorpion came out with the AT950, I picked one up and really like it. I just got silver and smoke shields for it this week and I'm really happy with the result. Looks bad to the bone, is modular, has an internal drop shield, visibility is excellent. Even on a WG with tall apes, looks great!

Scorpion EXO-AT950 in matte black with silver and dark smoke shields

Old 07-28-2018, 01:27 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I always wear FF. Only time i crashed i got face planted and the helmet probably saved my life. As much as i'd like to use an open face helmet in the hot weather we've been having, there is no way i'm risking it.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:51 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,567 Likes on 6,330 Posts

To each their own. What works for one person doesn't work for the next.

I always wore full face beginning in the 80's.

About eight years ago I switched to half helmets.

I found that in the 80's the full face peripheral vision was excellent and ventilation was good. The last full faces I was wearing had reduced peripheral vision and poor ventilation. It's like those two things had crept up on me and got worse over time.

The switch to a half helmet was eye opening with such a huge increase in peripheral vision that I can't imagine ever going back to full face again.

My current half helmet is the best helmet I ever wore. It's a J03 or something like that. It has a little bit too much mushroom head in terms of appearance but comfort, fit, weight, ventilation, everything else is so good that I don't care about the mushroom head. It's not as bad of a mushroom head as most, but is more than I would like.

To each their own. Wear what works for you.

I wear OAKLEY prescription Valve glasses with my half helmet. They hate transition lenses and have numerous coatings and treatments as well as great safety rating for high speed impact.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I say the sales dude did his job quite well. Go in for a $100 helmet and he sells you a $400 helmet.

Enjoy your new helmet!

The following 2 users liked this post by TejasJeff:
eleutheros (07-28-2018), mitchxout (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Steve Conrad
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasJeff
I say the sales dude did his job quite well. Go in for a $100 helmet and he sells you a $400 helmet.

Enjoy your new helmet!
Um, the Bell Bullit IS a $400 helmet. Which is what he originally was looking at

Old 07-28-2018, 07:54 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 626 Likes on 284 Posts

I wear my FF in cold/wet weather. I find I can see a lot better with an open face, particularly when merging and changing lanes. FF has its uses, but I prefer my half helmet in hot weather, the feeling and dynamic vision is much better.

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 09:01 AM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasJeff

Enjoy your new helmet!
The Bell Bullitt I went to look at was on sale for $300. The Bell Retro Bullitt was $400. The Bell helmet's are made to fit a more round head. The Shoei was $500.00 and is made to fit a more oval head.
I bought what fit me the best and the far superior features were worth the extra $ to me. Jeff patiently answered my ton of questions and showed me several helmets from $150. to $650.
I chose what fit my needs and am very happy with my decision. I was not sold anything.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:06 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Just mess’n with ya RH. Enjoy your new helmet.

Quick Reply: Made the switch to a FF helmet