General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Livewire update.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:45 PM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Only because half the producers converted to natural gas...another non renewable resource...at some point you have to change to something you are not going to run out of.
natural gas isn't necessarily "non-renewable." natural gas is mostly methane, and there are plenty of biological sources of methane gas. Like, for example, landfills, or the bacteria in your colon after a good meal of beans and cabbage.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
No, its really not. We've hit a wall based on physics and chemistry.
Researchers are now working on improvements to lithium that can triple the capacity and drastically reduce charge times. Now, do the numbers... if the Livewire could have its range extended by 3x, that would be around 600 miles; more than adequate range for the average rider. This technology exists today and they are now working on ways to mass produce it cost effectively. And this is just the fine tuning they are doing to well established technologies. Other research is developing new technology, some on the verge of reaching the mainstream, such as sodium based. Lithium and sodium each have their practical applications and are not interchangeable; but, both can dramatically change how we produce and consume energy.

Originally Posted by jz78817
natural gas isn't necessarily "non-renewable." natural gas is mostly methane, and there are plenty of biological sources of methane gas. Like, for example, landfills, or the bacteria in your colon after a good meal of beans and cabbage.
In fact, some landfills use methane capture systems to power the landfill.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-25-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 08-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Researchers are now working on improvements to lithium that can triple the capacity and drastically reduce charge times. Now, do the numbers... if the Livewire could have its range extended by 3x, that would be around 600 miles; more than adequate range for the average rider. This technology exists today and they are now working on ways to mass produce it cost effectively. And this is just the fine tuning they are doing to well established technologies. Other research is developing new technology, some on the verge of reaching the mainstream, such as sodium based. Lithium and sodium each have their practical applications and are not interchangeable; but, both can dramatically change how we produce and consume energy.
If. Now, if they could only make the bike comfortable to sit on for a few hours and style it so it looks like a motorcycle and not some alien bug.

Yeah, I get that the world is changing and all that. I, for one, am still glad I got to live through and experience the golden age of the internal combustion engine. I will miss it.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Show me some proof it exists today.. usually its marketing hype and not reality.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:15 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson
Show me some proof it exists today.. usually its marketing hype and not reality.
graphene lithium ion batteries

Samsung graphene battery

Old 08-18-2018, 01:12 AM
Mikhailov
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by sidthafish
I just can't get on board with electric vehicles. There's just something that feels unnatural about them.

Now, the 2020 Streetfighter concept makes me moist...

The problem for Harley is there are so many excellent street fighters just like this on the market at resonable prices, at least for the Japanese manufacturers. When you add in offerings from Aprilia, Ducati, KTM and other European manufacturers it's already a crowded marketplace. Harley needs to deliver a bike that compete with the best of them on a first time out, and do it at a price point that is competitive. They never had to deal with competition before in the cruiser/bagger market. This is no small task.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-21-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikhailov
The problem for Harley is there are so many excellent street fighters just like this on the market at resonable prices, at least for the Japanese manufacturers. When you add in offerings from Aprilia, Ducati, KTM and other European manufacturers it's already a crowded marketplace. Harley needs to deliver a bike that compete with the best of them on a first time out, and do it at a price point that is competitive. They never had to deal with competition before in the cruiser/bagger market. This is no small task.
That's been my point all along. I never said that Harley shouldn't try to compete in new markets. But the "streetfighter" and "adventure bike" markets are already crowded with excellent offerings from other makers. Unlike the heavy cruiser and touring markets, the "Harley-Davidson" nameplate alone won't sell in these markets without competitive performance and price to back it up. Competitive pricing probably entails more foreign manufacturing to keep profit margins acceptable to the stockholders.

And, let's be honest, Harley isn't generally known for being "the fastest machine out there," at least not within the memory of most of the potential customers for these new bikes. These customers aren't loyal to the name on the tank. This means that Harley has an uphill battle from the outset.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Anybody know the price on this bike?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 AM
clydewilson4
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. Electricity is basically an unlimited resource, can be produced on a micro level, or a macro level, using passive technology. We have just begun to tap the potential for solar power production. The other factor you failed to mention is that today, there is a lot of inefficiencies in how electricity is transported, stored, and used. Decentralizing the grid will significantly reduce inefficiencies in transportation, development of new technologies will greatly improve batteries, and motor efficiency. The LED is a perfect example of how technology will make better use of energy; 15 years ago, LED lighting was science fiction. Today, it is mainstream technology. LED technology is now cheaper and superior to incandescent technology.
Your story about LED lights is false. the LED was invented in 1962. I personally own a stereo made by Yamaha in 1976 that uses LEDs to light the dials. LED light bulbs for houses were around in the 90s but no one wanted to pay price until the government mandated them. Now I pay 10x as much for light bulb that doesn't last any longer than an incandescent bulb.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:31 PM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by clydewilson4
Your story about LED lights is false. the LED was invented in 1962. I personally own a stereo made by Yamaha in 1976 that uses LEDs to light the dials. LED light bulbs for houses were around in the 90s but no one wanted to pay price until the government mandated them. Now I pay 10x as much for light bulb that doesn't last any longer than an incandescent bulb.
stop buying cheap junk LEDs. I've been on all LED light bulbs for years now (using ones from real names like Philips, Cree, etc.) and only had one failure. and that was a bulb rated for 25,000 hours which died after about 31,000 hours of being on constantly.

oh, and he said "LED lighting." not "LEDs." yes, we've had those dim red and yellow green things since forever, but it's only been within the last 10 years or so where we've had the high power diodes (and heat management) for LEDs to displace 60 to 100 watt incandescent lamps.

Last edited by jz78817; 08-20-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Livewire update.