General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 Reasons the Future of Harley-Davidson Looks Bright

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Lemi over at Revzilla did a little video explaining possible market strategies the other day. I just watched it this morning, and it makes sense to me.

As to parts availability-I dont know how much of an issue this will actually be. I mean, we are used to calling ahead to make sure a part is in stock, bringing it in, and picking it up, or getting the bikes serviced. Your regular parts that need replacing-tires, gaskets, etc-wont be an issue to stock more of. Sure, there may be more specialty parts-but I dont see it as something that will force an either/or situation on almost any dealer.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM
jazzkat
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Personally I think Harley should stick to being a niche manufacturer and be good at what they do best. For example, when I think of Rolls Royce, I don't think of sports cars! When I think of big triallies I am not going to think of HD. I think the move into electric is good to get the new wave of buyers at its inception but moving into adventure bikes etc is bonkers.

The problem is that shareholders want their payback and so HD have to chase the money rather than doing what they are good at.
Let's be honest, most organisations would kill for the company identity that HD has built up over the years, it's pure gold. Here in the UK, it is seen as a premium brand, prices aren't negotiable and second hand prices aren't far off new. I can understand that it's different over there in the US but unless they do an absolutely amazing job of the new bikes they will be killing themselves. Whilst I wouldn't have one given to me, the GS BMW has a massive following and will be a tough act to follow.

It may be different in the USA but roads are getting busier and governments are cracking down on speeding, so cruisers make more and more sense. It seems to me that HD are missing a bit of a trick.

Last edited by jazzkat; 08-07-2018 at 03:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,006 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Judging by the looks of some of those bikes I hope Harley has a Plan B.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,907 Likes on 3,286 Posts

For those worrying about the availability of parts once they introduce all these new models I'd say, "who cares" Why buy their overpriced Chinese/Japanese/India made junk anyway? Harley has relied on aftermarket enginuity and engineering for decades. If you need a part there are dozens of companies that can produce a part made right here in the USA. In my opinion, if it weren't for S&S, Harley would have been toast 20 years ago.

Take it for what it's worth but next time you see a early 90's FXR look real close.. About the only thing HD on the bike will be the frame.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I agree with 3,5,&7...that's it.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,006 Likes on 2,818 Posts

^^^^ I was going to say maybe 1, 3 and 5 might help them and I'm not a really big RK fan.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Click bait.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 699 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Hopeful

Well, I thought Harley's future might be looking brighter because my knees haven't been hurting me lately!

Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 PM
DaddyFlip
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't see anything compelling or new in the "7 reasons", but I think the HD future is still bright. I've been a customer in several of the competing moto markets over the last five years and the one thing that Harley does better than any other is image and shopping experience. Most of the traditional rice rocket shops look like lawnmower/hardware stores. Recently, the big multi-brand stores have started to change this, but the bikes are still crammed together and you can't test ride anything. The European brands do only slightly better if you can get to one of the higher end BMW or Ducati dealers - and you can test ride almost anything European. Most of these are still old, ugly buildings on the outside with some trimwork on the inside. SOME of the Indian dealers have tried to create good curb appeal and an interior experience BUT they don't have the bonafide heritage to really cause their bikes to take off. The ones I've been to don't employ women (a strong suit of Harley dealerships), And they only have two engines to sell.

If Harley can price several trim levels of the new bikes in the $12-17k range and make different bike/riding styles part of the strong running heritage, then I think new and young customers will come. If the new bikes can avoid the stigma of being a girl's bike (Sportster) and Chinese bike (Street), IOW, if current Harley riders will avoid friendly fire and embrace the new rides and the new customers, then there's a chance.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Parts availability. I went for air filter for 17 1200 Sportster and had to pay in advance and have it ordered with another trip to get it. I had the bike about 6mths. Parts guy told me that engine was too new for them to be stocking parts yet. True story.

Quick Reply: 7 Reasons the Future of Harley-Davidson Looks Bright