General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penalty for breather mod in Cal.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:56 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,342 Likes on 11,167 Posts

I didn’t like the smell when I was stuck in traffic. So I removed mine off my TriGlide. and keeping it stock on my ‘17 RoadKing. I figure using a top tier detergent gas, should keep things from gunking up.

YMMV...

Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Everything is illegal these days. These unenforcable laws are just line item tick boxes to nail you to the cross if the system so desires. Everyone is a criminal if you look hard enough.

The following users liked this post:
SpringerRider (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:56 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I would estimate that 90 percent of the Harleys on the road in CA have some sort of visually identifiable illegal modification. Nobody cares.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:15 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I am considering the mod. Since I just discovered my K&N filter system actually doe's vent the breathers directly into the TB even though they say it eliminates external breathers.
Although I admit there was only a very small amount of oil in the filter, when i pulled it to clean, after approx. 2 K miles in use.
I am still on the fence deciding if it is worth it to do the mod. but if I do I guess I should stay out of VA.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

You will be tazed, bro.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,580 Likes on 3,827 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD51
Thanks for all the input. I am considering the mod. Since I just discovered my K&N filter system actually doe's vent the breathers directly into the TB even though they say it eliminates external breathers.
Although I admit there was only a very small amount of oil in the filter, when i pulled it to clean, after approx. 2 K miles in use.
I am still on the fence deciding if it is worth it to do the mod. but if I do I guess I should stay out of VA.
It's not like you coming to VA without a helmet. The VA State inspection is a yearly safety inspection only required for VA people. However don't come without a helmet. If you are pulled over without one, not only are you going to get a ticket, they are not going to let you drive away without a helmet.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:16 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

That's nothing, wait till they find out how many people removed their cats and tore off their mattress tags ! You'll be tared and feathered and dragged down the street behind a Honda moped.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,019 Likes on 17,513 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
I would estimate that 90 percent of the Harleys on the road in CA have some sort of visually identifiable illegal modification. Nobody cares.
Seriously, but I have had a number of entertaining conversations over why my shovel doesn't require turn signals being it's a 72 and the law didn't kick in till 73, that was one of their favorite excuses for a who are you stop.

johnnynitro (08-25-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:54 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

You will be joining the other 98% of motorcycles that have the same breather mod.

TwiZted Biker (08-19-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 AM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member

Received 4,308 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD51
I finally got around to doing the mod and venting to atmosphere. I usually get a new bike every few years, and not worry about oil getting in the TB, but I have my 2014 Limited dialed in perfectly, so it'll stay.

I do get a lot of oil residue on my big sucker K & N filter, so i'm assuming some nice carbon build up on the heads. I'm currently running seafoam thru the fuel system and every Friday after work, i'm spraying thru the spark plug holes roughly a heavy tablespoon of seafoam to set overnight to melt away the buildup a little at a time. I'll get some good smoke the next next morning for about ten seconds.

I did the mod on the stock A/C. Really simple with the Rushmore set up.

Quick Reply: Penalty for breather mod in Cal.?