General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penalty for breather mod in Cal.?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:12 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Penalty for breather mod in Cal.?

If I ride my bike, with breathers vented outside of TB, in Cal. what are the chances of getting ticketed and what is the penalty?
Also what other states have similar laws?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I’ve run my breather vented into the motor for over 200,000 miles without an issue. I think any possible “harm” is exaggerated.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:33 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Chance of getting ticked here is zero.... there is no MC annual inspection, cops couldn't care less.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following 2 users liked this post by ROCKOUT Rocker Products:
RHD51 (08-18-2018), TwiZted Biker (08-19-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 09:52 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Chance of getting ticked here is zero.... there is no MC annual inspection, cops couldn't care less.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
Fact...plus we can white line while riding our non-inspected sleds! YOW!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:55 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

No chance.....there is no annual inspection, and as long as you are riding/driving/registered legally the police/ DMV don't nitpick your ride. Very ironic though since California is HARSH on anything else air quality related......cars, manufacturing, even law mowers are highly regulated for "clean air" .....though they don't inpect lawn mowers....yet

Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

It is a 10k Federal fine for modifying pollution controls on a vehicle. Not exactly sure who it applies to however. Here in VA in my area,our state inspection looks for them and as long as they are there, he is OK. However, even this is spotty. My inspection the other day was me showing the guy the lights worked. Then he walked a 360 about 4 foot from bike and pointed the flash light at the bike to show he was taking it all in. Sorta guess that works for me since I take care of my stuff.
​​

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-19-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Not to change the course of this thread but i often wondered if there is demonstrable benefit to routing crankcase vapors away from the induction path.

Clearly getting cooler, cleaner air is preferred, but given how little oil actually escapes (not much, if any, of a loss between oil changes), I just wonder if there is a noticeable or demonstrable benefit ... other than theoretical.

Disclosure: On my two current Harleys, one vents to the TB induction and one does not - but they are two completely dissimilar bikes so no basis for comparison.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Jehu
Not to change the course of this thread but i often wondered if there is demonstrable benefit to routing crankcase vapors away from the induction path.

Clearly getting cooler, cleaner air is preferred, but given how little oil actually escapes (not much, if any, of a loss between oil changes), I just wonder if there is a noticeable or demonstrable benefit ... other than theoretical.

Disclosure: On my two current Harleys, one vents to the TB induction and one does not - but they are two completely dissimilar bikes so no basis for comparison.
Serves no purpose except for the tin men's pocketbook. The air drawn in is only being pushed by atmosphere pressure. To weak to pull in oil. That falls out.
The crud you see in throttle body is behind butterfly. That is the last shot of dried up fuel from the injectors that is left ever time you shut off engine

Old 08-19-2018, 05:47 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I’ve run my breather vented into the motor for over 200,000 miles without an issue. I think any possible “harm” is exaggerated.
165,000 on my '00 FLTRSEI still vented into the throttle body. No issues.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Technically crank venting (and EGR more specifically) into the intake does reduce combustion exhaust temps, but only marginally because now there's a certain percentage of noncombustible "stuff" in the intake stream.

I like to redirect crankcase venting to atmosphere wherever I can, just keeps things cleaner and less oily in the intake and carb area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Penalty for breather mod in Cal.?