General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can’t turn left!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:09 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Old Sport

Practice, practice, practice...
Go to nearest large city. Find clover leaf and circle to left all day!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,523 Likes on 6,892 Posts

Body mechanics, everything that has been said above. Additionally, while looking through the turn where you want to go, point your chin in that direction, shift your weight a little to the left side of your bike (slide your butt so your left butt cheek is hanging out a little more on the left side of the seat. Your body may be positioned a little more to the right while you are riding. At first it will feel unnatural and you may have to force the butt movement. After a while it will become natural and you will shift your weight without knowing it. Practice at the spped you are comfortable with and then move the speed up as you feel confidant.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Oy...
A) You are in dire need of an MSF basics class
B) Follow up with a touch of Motorman Jerry

Not being disrespectful but it also sounds like a case of too much bike, not enough rider..

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,578 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Just push the handlebar away from you. Go left? Push left bar away. Opposite for right. No leaning required, the bike will turn.

Sounds like whisen nailed it. Counter steering is your friend, try pushing and pulling the bars at a slow speed and you will understand how it feels.

rk classic.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Left turn is the hardest thing we need to learn Ike it was mentioned find a point and look at it and turn. If your looking in your turn you will have problems find a point and turn into it. Practice in parking lots and low traffic areas i do left and right Circles big to has small as I can it helps. Maybe a riding course you can learn a lot from them. Good Luck practice

Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Had somewhat the same problem in long curves. Could not hold my line throught the curve at speed. My son, a very experienced rider, explained to me that you have to look way way ahead at what will be your exit point of the curve. As others have said, then counter steer gently letting your eyes tell your bike where you want to go. Don't try to force the lean as it is an automatic responce to the gentle counter steer. Find a road with some long curves and ride it over and over in both directions until the line through the curve feels comfortable.

In slow left and right turns, circles, fighure eights,etc. you need to LOOK WITH YOUR EYES (advice from a PD drill team member) to where you want to go, extreame head turn is not always necessary. And a lot of PLP (Parking Lot Practice) in first gear learning to coordinate clutch, throttle and rear brake ONLY, with less and less dependency on the brake as you become more proficient in the slow manuvers.

BTW, if it is a blind curve, I will still slow down because I can't see what is around the curve. Better slower and safe than fast and sorry.

Last edited by FrankEV; 08-20-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM
upStomp
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots of good advice here, but from reading the title I couldn't help but think of that scene in European Vacation when Clark gets stuck in the roundabout...

Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

This thread is the reason why every brand new rider needs to take an MSF course. I learned to ride back in the 80's, mostly self taught and thought that turning was all about leaning. Dropped the bike quite a few times and learned the hard way, or really I should say never really learned at all. Took many years off from riding and decided to get back into it. I took the MSF course and learned more in 3 days than I did in two years of self taught riding. That was several years ago and I've taken a few more classes over the years to tweak the skills even more.

Get in a class if you haven't done so already and once you learn a good proper head turn and the true meaning of "push left go left", "push right go right" to initiate a turn you'll find that turning your bike is extremely easy.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 AM
pomeara
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Shift your body forward, closer to the handle bars. Reminds me of crotch-rocket days but getting up on the handle bars a little might help. I use this in slow, tight turns but may give you more confidence in your higher speed moves

Old 08-20-2018, 12:27 PM
gdtrfb
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've had the same issue with left-hand turns, too. I think it's because if you go wide, you're going onto the shoulder (or curb), so my natural inclination is to look at the shoulder to make sure I don't go into it. But the phenomenon of 'target fixation' says that you're going to go where you are looking - if you're looking at the shoulder or the curb, you're more likely to hit it. The previous posters are correct, if you look to the left where you want to go, the bike will follow.

Quick Reply: I can’t turn left!!!