General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is going to pay $21K for an FXDR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

More like 80 horsepower or so.

Quote:
When you start getting up in the range of 120hp and above, that's when design becomes a lot more difficult because it introduces problems which necessitate some complicated solutions.
Like joining the 21st century?

80hp please, I have an Antique Motorcycle with 120hp.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 09-10-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:02 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
....and for $3,000 MSRP less.
Exactly. I just can't imagine why someone would buy the FXDR over the Fat Bob. More money, less performance.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:10 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts
Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
My point - again - is why wouldn't you use the Fat Bob for that platform? When it was introduced, it was the "thinking outside the box" HD performance bike. It has a steeper fork rake, normal size back tire, looks pretty good, etc. What happened? Why would they take a giant step backward and put all their marbles on a bike that doesn't handle nearly as well as a bike they already have? I really don't get it at all.
I don't disagree. However, I'm not sure why Harley can't have more than one performance bike.

With a little more refinement, the Fat Bob could have been turned into some sort of badass café bike, with good handling and bags of character. As it is, it's merely okay. On the performance front, the only real difference between the Fat Bob and the FXDR is the rake/trail and the size of the rear tire. The FXDR has a little more lean angle, but almost certainly turns slower. If you close your eyes, they're probably not all that different to actually ride.

If I were going to try to use one of these two as a platform for a custom build, it would be a hard choice. My guess is the Fat Bob does handle better. However, the new Fat Bob just looks weirdly proportioned, to say the least. And I say that as someone who has owned a Fat Bob and has always been a fan of the bike. I have yet to see a custom build of the softail Fat Bob which is anything but hideously ugly. Even putting pipes on it is a challenge as none of the pipes on the market fit the lines of the bike, and just end up accentuating the odd look.

In person, the FXDR certainly looks a lot better. But due to the design, it's sort of locked into the power cruiser mold and it might take a hell of a lot of effort and money to make it into something truly performance oriented.

Both the softail Fat Bob and FXDR have some things going for them. But quite honestly, both of them seem like half-hearted efforts to "do something different" without really changing much. Which is pretty frustrating, because it would be way cool to see an S model Fat Bob which could give a Ducati Monster a run for its money. Perhaps not in terms of raw speed, but in terms of overall character.*

A slightly larger Fat Bob with 120hp, traction control, monoblock Brembo 50's, and better styling would be an instant hit. I don't want the upcoming Harley Streetfighter, as that really is a poor man's copy of a 15-year-old streetfighter. I would rather see a truly badass version of the Fat Bob or FXDR.

I'm sure the guys in Germany at Thunderbike will be along shortly with a custom FXDR. And I have no doubt it will look cool, as they're good at making bikes look cool. But will they be able to get it to actually perform?

Last edited by DM426; 09-10-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,177 Likes on 6,218 Posts

My point - again - is why wouldn't you use the Fat Bob for that platform? When it was introduced, it was the "thinking outside the box" HD performance bike. It has a steeper fork rake, normal size back tire, looks pretty good, etc. What happened? Why would they take a giant step backward and put all their marbles on a bike that doesn't handle nearly as well as a bike they already have? I really don't get it at all.
Because then people would be here bitching because they made Fst Bob II instead of something very different than the fat bob.

Model differentiation might be their overall strategy is.

As apparently many people hate this bike, then in that regard it is a success as being different than the fat bob and other models.

Not everybody likes the same thing, contrary to the sea of black street glides at HOG events.

It's kind of like how I think that these denim finishes are the stupidest damn thing they ever did, but apparently a sizable number of people like them.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:36 AM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by DM426
I don't disagree. However, I'm not sure why Harley can't have more than one performance bike.

With a little more refinement, the Fat Bob could have been turned into some sort of badass café bike, with good handling and bags of character. As it is, it's merely okay. On the performance front, the only real difference between the Fat Bob and the FXDR is the rake/trail and the size of the rear tire. The FXDR has a little more lean angle, but almost certainly turns slower. If you close your eyes, they're probably not all that different to actually ride.

If I were going to try to use one of these two as a platform for a custom build, it would be a hard choice. My guess is the Fat Bob does handle better. However, the new Fat Bob just looks weirdly proportioned, to say the least. And I say that as someone who has owned a Fat Bob and has always been a fan of the bike. I have yet to see a custom build of the softail Fat Bob which is anything but hideously ugly. Even putting pipes on it is a challenge as none of the pipes on the market fit the lines of the bike, and just end up accentuating the odd look.

In person, the FXDR certainly looks a lot better. But due to the design, it's sort of locked into the power cruiser mold and it might take a hell of a lot of effort and money to make it into something truly performance oriented.

Both the softail Fat Bob and FXDR have some things going for them. But quite honestly, both of them seem like half-hearted efforts to "do something different" without really changing much. Which is pretty frustrating, because it would be way cool to see an S model Fat Bob which could give a Ducati Monster a run for its money. Perhaps not in terms of raw speed, but in terms of overall character.*

A slightly larger Fat Bob with 120hp, traction control, monoblock Brembo 50's, and better styling would be an instant hit. I don't want the upcoming Harley Streetfighter, as that really is a poor man's copy of a 15-year-old streetfighter. I would rather see a truly badass version of the Fat Bob or FXDR.

I'm sure the guys in Germany at Thunderbike will be along shortly with a custom FXDR. And I have no doubt it will look cool, as they're good at making bikes look cool. But will they be able to get it to actually perform?
Good point on the more than one performance bike thought.

I have ridden both and I will tell you I know the difference before i even leave the parking lot. The Fat Bob turns in far more easily and feels more nimble. As mentioned before, coming from a metric backround,, I have a really hard time adjusting to bikes with a shallow rake like the FXDR. I look like an idiot turning out onto the street. So because of that, the difference to me is huge. I actually like the way the Fat Bob handles. But agreed - needs more power.*

Old 09-10-2018, 11:22 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

I have a really hard time adjusting to bikes with a shallow rake like the FXDR. I look like an idiot turning out onto the street.
1 vote from me that you post a video of you doing that please

Old 09-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,661 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
You don't even own a Harley and your contribution to this forum amounts to a monkey flinging poop.
Hey come on now, that's insulting - to the monkey

Old 09-10-2018, 12:33 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by hellonewman
1 vote from me that you post a video of you doing that please

Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by XRX
More like 80 horsepower or so.
Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Correct. One dyno test showed 81 bhp at the rear tire.
Originally Posted by XRX
Yeah, but pretty soon, one of the stalker/trolls will be along to claim that I don't know what I'm talking about, lol.
Originally Posted by Prot
You don't even own a Harley and your contribution to this forum amounts to a monkey flinging poop.
Prot, is this you?:

Quick Reply: Who is going to pay $21K for an FXDR?