General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time trailering bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:39 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

You're joking, right? Even with pictures, no doubt!

Old 09-15-2018, 12:43 AM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Wheel chock, straps at lower legs, not compressing forks works perfect, no issues..Cali to Oregon and back..

Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

That's just the way I would do it up front. No fork compression. Works greatly, lasts long time.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

I hauled bikes back and forth to Daytona for years - 42' gooseneck, 8-10 bikes.

I am a big fan of front wheel cradles that are a chock and hold it straight - padded up to accommodate skinny front tires. I strapped to the handle bars with soft ties as close to the clamps as possible and used four straps up front - sometimes the second pair where on the forks lower than the handlebars. The angle was always forward and down compressing the front forks half way +/-. witht he bike being pulled down against its suspension and forward tighter into the cradle arresting forward movement.

The rears pulled aft with a fifth strap sometimes run left to right with one wrap around the tire/wheel; while trying to arrest rearward movement the big thing was to keep the rear when from walking left to right - especially the last two bike onboard as they get the roughest ride. That's where i usually put my bike as well as a lighter/smaller bike such as a Sportster. Soft ties where used everywhere except for the ratchet straps I had with soft ties already sewn into the straps. I had buckets of small rags to use for chafe protection as needed.

I never put the jiffy stands down while towing - ever.

There was also a thought NOT to put the bikes in gear as the slight fore/aft movement would move the piston, ever so slightly, over and over and over again in the exact same spot - with no oil pressure. I do not have an opinion one way or the other on that but did what the bike's owner desired. My on bike has been towed both in and out of gear and if anything happened, I wouldn't know.

Separate side story. I woudl start the bike to run them up on the trailer's ramp and into their spot onboard; you could tell a high compression engine, a weak battery, tired starter because i was doing one right after the other and the comparison was easy. One fellow, a friend of mine, whose bike I towed many times bragged about how he didn't know if his last oil change was 10, 12 or 15,000 miles ago. When i would go to start his bike, it fired right up but the starter spun it like the spark plugs were missing! Either he had a 24V battery or very low compression.

Last edited by Jehu; 09-15-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:58 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,993 Likes on 1,658 Posts

I had a problem the 1st couple of trips with bikes side by side. Was strapping to low down and it was sway. I got these, problem solved..
You don't have to compress it hardly at all for it to stay in place.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:03 PM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

I trailer mine no problem just the way you have it. If you want more peace of mind add another set of straps to the crash bars where they mount to the frame. Don’t tighten them a lot, but just enough to prevent side to side movement. Also, after 15-20 miles, pull over and check the straps. I will also check straps at every gas stop.

The following users liked this post:
Dirty Harry (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

I tie mine at the fender with soft ties, then I tie to dedicated hooks on the side of the forks and have compressed my forks for years with no issues, thousands of miles. Next time I may put a 4x4 block underthe bike to stabilize it.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes145
Does this look good enough to keep the bikes from moving?. Both are in wheel chocks, both are strapped around the fork lowers, and the ultra on the rear around the floorboards and the street glide around the frame beneath the foot pegs. And yes, I do ride long trips without trailering. This is just for a couple days up north. I just did 2 trips this summer, 3000 miles and a 1600 mile trip.
No help but have a question is that a class A MH toy hauler or 5ht wheel and what are the dimensions of the garage space Thanks.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,548 Likes on 16,338 Posts
Old 09-15-2018, 07:17 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I've trailered bikes for many years and many miles on flatbed as well as enclosed trailers and on pick up trucks.

The only issues that I've experienced is with the 'S" hooks on tie down straps disconnecting from their anchor point because of slack in the strap, cause by travel on some very "bumpy" roads.

In addition to frequently checking strap tension, I would highly recommend the tie-down straps with hooks that ahve the "spring lock safety" that prevents from disconnecting from an anchor point regardless of the amount of slack there is in a strap. (H-D sells these type of straps).

Quick Reply: First time trailering bikes