General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went on my first 'group ride' Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Best group rides are to the destination and then scatter like wildfire....I personally like to ride sweep, and even better yet if I know the route I can pre-judge ahead and block traffic in lanes...oh I like right side of the tracks, just in case I need to bail grass is much better then asphalt, my *** still remember the nurse trying to get pebbles out of my *** cheeks with what seemed a brillo pad.....

Old 09-17-2018, 08:05 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,439 Likes on 5,920 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Hooked up with some people my son knows Sunday morning and has ridden with before, all seemed to be decent people on touring bikes, no hard core biker types. My son and I were the only riders on Sportsters.

Only a couple of 'problems', first we turned off onto a county road than made a quick sharp left and then a quick sharp right. A guy behind me kept crowding me seeming to want to ride side by side. I had to make it clear in curves, I OWN the whole lane and I'm not going to have you try to ride beside me especially in my blind spot. Apparently he got the message as he didn't try that again. Second time was we were turning left off a state road and a guy in a pickup headed the other way stopped to let us all turn. A car blew around him on the right side, luckily no one was turning at that time. Another guy and his wife who was behind me then, and when it became my time to turn I paused to make sure no one was coming from the right side of the truck, didn't want to get t-boned... The woman on the bike starts screaming TURN, TURN God damn it. THAT pissed me off as I thought to myself, I will turn when I feel safe to do so. Cool your jets %$#@*...

All in all, had a good time I guess, nice sweeping curvy roads and beautiful weather. I might do another group ride but I seem to prefer to ride either with just my son, a couple of close friends, or just by myself.
What exactly are you saying? Hardcore biker types are NOT decent people???

You DO NOT own the whole lane when you're riding in a group Poindexter. Tight friends, brothers that have ridden together for years can ride side by side, and fly down the highway. Most groups that are not totally familiar with each other ride in staggered formation, so there is at least some room for error. Even entry level riders know this. The whole lane does not belong to you when you're riding in a group. The guy you thought wanted to ride "side by side" with you was probably riding in a staggered formation, as he should have.

You may want to stick to riding with your son till you figure all this out....

The following 8 users liked this post by LoneBone:
AJSHOVEL (09-18-2018), Chucks1911 (09-19-2018), Greezey Rider (09-18-2018), Hey Man (09-18-2018), major105bc (09-25-2018), Mozvader (09-18-2018), Uncle Larry (09-18-2018), vaham (09-18-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,416 Likes on 2,944 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
What exactly are you saying? Hardcore biker types are NOT decent people???

You DO NOT own the whole lane when you're riding in a group Poindexter. Tight friends, brothers that have ridden together for years can ride side by side, and fly down the highway. Most groups that are not totally familiar with each other ride in staggered formation, so there is at least some room for error. Even entry level riders know this. The whole lane does not belong to you when you're riding in a group. The guy you thought wanted to ride "side by side" with you was probably riding in a staggered formation, as he should have.

You may want to stick to riding with your son till you figure all this out....
Damn dude, who yanked your f**kin' chain?

Poindexter, that's cute... stop reading something in to what I said that isn't there. I don't give a damn who you or anyone else thinks they are, when I'M entering a curve I DO own the lane, I have NOTHING to figure out. Sorry to burst your bubble. It's called self preservation, if you're behind me it's YOUR job to stay out of my blind spot AND not endanger ME.

Go play internet tough guy with someone else...

The following 4 users liked this post by firehawk6:
BarleyW83 (09-17-2018), beanoboy (09-21-2018), chico08 (09-21-2018), DuciDay (12-29-2019)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,439 Likes on 5,920 Posts

Poindexter, that's cute... stop reading something in to what I said that isn't there. I don't give a damn who you or anyone else thinks they are, when I'M entering a curve I DO own the lane, I have NOTHING to figure out. Sorry to burst your bubble. It's called self preservation, if you're behind me it's YOUR job to stay out of my blind spot AND not endanger ME.

Nobody yanked my chain....

You posted on a public forum, and pretty much summed up that you know zero about riding in a group....

I'm no "internet tough guy" LMAO.....

Stick to riding with your son, and keep your feelings off yer sleeve....

The following 6 users liked this post by LoneBone:
FrankEV (09-18-2018), Greezey Rider (09-18-2018), major105bc (09-25-2018), Marty31 (09-19-2018), Mozvader (09-18-2018), vaham (09-18-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
Plain and simple...group riding SUCKS.......................
I concur. Which is why I avoid them. I’ll meet up with folks for a bite from time to time, but then head off on my own. Very rarely ride with anyone else. But to each their own.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Riding in a tight group with experienced (skilled) riders is fun, especially at a brisk pace on a twisty road. It reminds me a bit of trail riding with a few buddies in northern Michigan in my younger days.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Group rides can be fun, or frightening, depending on who all is in said group. I prefer solo riding, but I'm always open to a small group of friends.

i won't ride side by side, except for a short bit. Staggered is safer, especially with gusty winds.

I've pulled out of charity group rides before, due to idiots, crashing, dropping thier bikes, or there being too many beer stops .
​​​​​​

Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Easiest way to ride in a group is to communicate what is expected. Often, a new rider may have the "Goldilocks Syndrome." (Some groups ride to fast, some to slow, some just right.)
It's up to each rider to decide what level of risk they're willing to accept.
Sure, there are "rules" that some clubs/groups have, and it's best to find out what they are before turning a wheel with them.
When I lead/organize a group ride, I give a short talk about who/what/how/where and the rest before we mount up. Be it 2 other riders, or 600 other riders (Yes, I've done this.) But not since the mid 1990's.
However, I have participated in huge international group rides, featuring many thousands of riders. (Tijuana Toy Run, back in the 1990's to 2000's.)

Anyway, you'll find most issues resolved by my very first sentence.

Above all, ride YOUR ride only, not someone else's.

Ride safe too!

Old 09-17-2018, 11:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

You have no idea....... and I second his comment about the " hardcore bikers ".

The following 4 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
AJSHOVEL (09-18-2018), LoneBone (09-18-2018), ShovelEd (09-18-2018), vaham (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:55 AM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

I love big rides, guess I've allways been lucky and had no idiots or lane hogs in our groups just a bunch of guys & girls who know how to ride and maintain their speed.

Pretty cool sight seeing bikes stretched out as fas as the eye can see on the highway, even cooler being a part of it.

Quick Reply: Went on my first 'group ride' Sunday