General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys and biker culture..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:07 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

I wear a black leather jacket, and many people come up to me to admire my bikes. I’ve had people ask if they can have their little kid sit on the seat with me.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:18 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Just not the same

Old 09-27-2018, 01:35 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 496 Likes on 260 Posts

All bike types have a prejudgment against them. Hollywood drags out the bikes when they want the 'bad' character to appear really bad.

My local HD dealer is full of people dressed as pirates. I also get their FB posts when someone buys a bike and they do not look like pirates. So, the 'donut' pirates are only there for the coffee and snacks? They stand around, kick the tires, and tell stories.

The Honda Goldwing crowd has a certain way of dressing with color matched helmets, trailers, and coordinated garb for rider and passenger. Sport bikes have the wheelies, extended rear wheels, fart cans on the exhaust, and the riders in shorts and muscle t's. The BMW guys wear scarves.

LOL....of course, none of it is true. Just remember the movie that kicked it all off...The Wild One (1953) with the gangs and leather jackets and those cute little police style hats.... Son's of Anarchy 1950's style.

Wear what you want, look the way you want, ride, and ride often.

Last edited by dceggert; 09-27-2018 at 01:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tomcatg (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,598 Likes on 9,813 Posts

Yeah but I wanna use my Harley tp pick up chics....

Old 09-27-2018, 01:47 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by OzHD
The truth is that only YOU get to decide if you're a "real biker" or not... no one else has any right to define it for you unless you let them.
Once you do that you might as well give them the keys to your bike as they're defining your life for you.
Kind of over-the-top. This isn't some human rights issue. People get too carried away with this stuff IMO. Maybe we should hold a march on Washington to affirm everyone's universal god-given right to self-identify as a biker. We will not let this injustice pass without a fight.

The following users liked this post:
Halojumper (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 02:11 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Pass the Cheeze WHiz

For Xmas can someone buy me a purple silk scarf so I can lighten my image as a late 50s desk jacket tough guy Harley riding beast?

Old 09-27-2018, 02:16 PM
tomcatg
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dceggert
All bike types have a prejudgment against them. Hollywood drags out the bikes when they want the 'bad' character to appear really bad.

My local HD dealer is full of people dressed as pirates. I also get their FB posts when someone buys a bike and they do not look like pirates. So, the 'donut' pirates are only there for the coffee and snacks? They stand around, kick the tires, and tell stories.

The Honda Goldwing crowd has a certain way of dressing with color matched helmets, trailers, and coordinated garb for rider and passenger. Sport bikes have the wheelies, extended rear wheels, fart cans on the exhaust, and the riders in shorts and muscle t's. The BMW guys wear scarves.

LOL....of course, none of it is true. Just remember the movie that kicked it all off...The Wild One (1953) with the gangs and leather jackets and those cute little police style hats.... Son's of Anarchy 1950's style.

Wear what you want, look the way you want, ride, and ride often.
Pirates..lol.. Now that you mention it I have seen that too, the bike buyers on Facebook don't have the pirate thing going...I have seen the GoldWIng groups ..not as many as Mark posted but a big group.

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Kind of over-the-top. This isn't some human rights issue. People get too carried away with this stuff IMO. Maybe we should hold a march on Washington to affirm everyone's universal god-given right to self-identify as a biker. We will not let this injustice pass without a fight.
Yes this was meant as a light hearted bored at work kind of post..not serious at all..

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-07-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatg
............................................ Rode to lunch yesterday and guy saw the bike and started talking about his HD, but I don't ever get that from other bike riders..or haven't yet anyway.
Damn. My girlfriend and I pulled into a restaurant parking lot this past spring on a fairly cold morning. As we were standing by the bike taking some gear off a middle aged guy walked up and asked if we were riding. We looked at each other like WTF? and I said "Yah, we are riding today". He looked at me and said "You guys remind me of my parents" and walked off.

My bike must not be as cool as yours,

Old 09-27-2018, 02:41 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Didnt Sonny barger say something to the effect of " I like Honda, but the Hells Angels require me to ride Harley" he then wen on to say something like " I'm glad they did, because I made alot of money fixing the Harleys"

, H-D's are associated to 1 %er clubs because of the requirement by the rules that they ride only H-D motorcycles.
Except that Sonny rides a Victory.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:41 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

After I got my first Harley a friend gave me a real nice leather riding jacket. What can I do? It has to be worn

Quick Reply: Harleys and biker culture..