General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson recalling 238,380 bikes for clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad my 2016 Ultra slipped past this one. Wish Harley would offer the option of replacing the hydraulic assist clutch with a manual clutch. I sure miss having the proper control of my clutch when doing slow-speed maneuvers.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 12:57 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Glad my 2016 Ultra slipped past this one. Wish Harley would offer the option of replacing the hydraulic assist clutch with a manual clutch. I sure miss having the proper control of my clutch when doing slow-speed maneuvers.
I agree, I put on the Oberon lever which is better but not perfect. I am seriously considering doing the friction zone fix using the new damper seat HD Part #37000295 to move the friction zone.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:47 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
I agree, I put on the Oberon lever which is better but not perfect. I am seriously considering doing the friction zone fix using the new damper seat HD Part #37000295 to move the friction zone.
Have not heard of this "fix" before. Sure don't find much on going from hydraulic assist to cable clutch.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:59 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master

Have not heard of this "fix" before. Sure don't find much on going from hydraulic assist to cable clutch.
Here is a thread on it - good reports - apparently a little bit thicker part makes quite a difference.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-a-2017-a.html

Old 10-25-2018, 02:04 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
Here is a thread on it - good reports - apparently a little bit thicker part makes quite a difference.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-a-2017-a.html
Appears this is not applicable to the 2016 models. Our clutch damper seat has a different part number than the 17s.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:06 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master

Appears this is not applicable to the 2016 models. Our clutch damper seat has a different part number than the 17s.
Damn, sorry.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:57 AM
triumph60
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this recall for the clutch has nothing to do with the oil transfer problem

Old 10-26-2018, 08:19 AM
Advocatus Diaboli
Elite HDF Member

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,113 Posts

My 16 RG Ultra had a very similar clutch issue...clutch didn’t work. The bike was fixed under warranty and shortly thereafter there was a recall (I believe) for 16’s to have the master cylinder replaced. I wrote about it here. I’ll see if I can find a link.

in any event, it sounds to me like HD still can’t get a clutch right.

This isn’t the post I was thinking of, but I mentioned it nonetheless. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...-rg-ultra.html

Last edited by Advocatus Diaboli; 10-26-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:08 AM
triumph60
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil transfer on 20818 streetglide

I’m new to the form so bear with me. I’ve owned 3 Harley’s and all three had small problems that had to be corrected by me at my expense and this new one is no different!! The comp is knocking with only 24000klms I’ve got the oil transfer problem that the mother ship still has no cure but too keep checking and add more oil the rear shocks still ride like an old hard tail all for $35000 her in Canada that’s more than I paid for my new Honda Accord?? if Harley can’t fix the oil transfer problem soon his bike has got to go !!! I bought it to tour the country but its hard on the nerves when you never know when the tranny will run dry or the comp will fail AGAIN

Old 10-27-2018, 12:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,971 Likes on 17,494 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph60
I’m new to the form so bear with me. I’ve owned 3 Harley’s and all three had small problems that had to be corrected by me at my expense and this new one is no different!! The comp is knocking with only 24000klms I’ve got the oil transfer problem that the mother ship still has no cure but too keep checking and add more oil the rear shocks still ride like an old hard tail all for $35000 her in Canada that’s more than I paid for my new Honda Accord?? if Harley can’t fix the oil transfer problem soon his bike has got to go !!! I bought it to tour the country but its hard on the nerves when you never know when the tranny will run dry or the comp will fail AGAIN
Ok I tired of this BS, from a purely mechanical standpoint yes some transmissions migrate oil, some do a lot less than others my 17 being one of the later. Thing is they will NEVER run dry as you say, by the simple nature of the case design there will ALWAYS be enough oil to lube the gears and bearing, it just won't be running in a submerged bath up above the centerline of the mainshaft. Only real reason the moco does that with these is to quiet them down.

Ride your bike and quit pulling your hair fretting over something so simple.

Yeah it's a nuisance to check it regular or drain the excess from the primary but damn take a Man Pill.....

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson recalling 238,380 bikes for clutch problem